Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you stay motivated when you are the only one...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Hey sbhikes - how is it that you and Paleobird aren't occasionally hiking and eating together?? Aren't both of you from Santa Barbara??
    I think she is in San Diego. That's about 4 or 5 hours away.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

In the grand scheme of things, does it really matter what others eat or think about your diet? Nope. Moving passed that is a big step! It's not nearly as important as you think it is. Eat and move on.
      "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

At some point, yes it is just "how you are", but you will find yourself surprised when people are shocked at your way of eating. I forget most of the time that a lot of people still shy away from butter.
        Depression Lies

Comment

I suppose I just eat what I want, exercise how I want, and enjoy my friends and family, no? At some point it will be simply how I live and not something I need or want to talk about?
          That pretty much sums it up.

We talk about it in our home, in a general sense, but I'm the only one striving to be primal. The rest are sometimes primal by accident Some of my friends know about my weird food ways but nobody judges. It really helps to word it in a way so that I'm telling them what *I* have learned, how *I* am questioning CW, and how what I do/eat applies to *me*....not make them feel stupid for not knowing the difference between butter and margarine, or judge them for being carb & cardio addicts.

The kids and I just spent a week with my brother's family, in their home. Its really interesting to see how other people live/eat on a daily basis. I've talked to bro and SIL about what I choose to eat (or not) and why, and they are open minded and non-judgemental. I brought along some foods that were non-negotiable, (butter, full fat yogurt, larabars, eggs) as well as cooked some meals that were primal-friendly. I also strayed into some grey areas food-wise (and felt the consequences) but didnt spend all week annoying them with my food babble.
          Sandra
          *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Originally posted by PHaselow View Post
            Thanks, everyone. My husband is definitely respectful of my choices, and won't look down at what I do. For that I am grateful.
            this is huge. when i first gave up grains, it was after months and months of trying to lose weight. after i entered my 40s everything just "broke" and my body went to hell. i found atkins and a bell rang. my b/f was dubious, at best. but weight came off, my health improved and i continued my research. as i have dialed it in further, he thinks i'm on the margin of weird, i guess (!), but remains supportive. like, he thinks the bone broth is hilarious, but i know without a doubt it's one of the best things i have done for my health in many years.

I'd really love to start a monthly dinner group. I guess that is where my question originally came from as I got all whiney about not having a ready-made group of friends for my project.
            i entertain ALL THE TIME. cook what you like because primal food is effing delicious. i make no pronouncements, i just cook. people have been complaining lately that it's been too long since i've had them over! quid pro quo might not be possible, but, hey, start something!
            As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Noodletoy, don't you ever relish being 'on the margin of weird'? I've learned to love my black sheep status in the family; the one who is seen to buck the system or go against the grain in some areas. Bone broth? I've got to try it. I've heard about it for years due to my son on the Autism spectrum, but haven't done it yet. He's not a broth kinda guy.

I'm looking to start a group that can share in the Primal experience. I'd have to do all of the cooking with my current set of close friends, since they'd be making me pasta, fresh bread, dairy based (delicious) food! We do a lot of group effort entertaining right now.

40 is also when my body rebelled. From teenage acne to a constant 'fight or flight' state of being, I was a mess!
              sigpic
              Age 48
              Start date: 7-5-12
              5'3"
              121lbs
              GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
              Henri Frederic Amiel

Comment

A monthly dinner group? That sounds like it would actually work. Just put an ad in the weekly or on meet-up and say you are looking for other paleo/primal eaters to form a monthly dinner group. Since paleo/primal would be the main thing in common among all you otherwise strangers, it would be the one thing you'd all discuss and I'm sure it would end up being a wonderful experience. Kind of like how I do the Sierra Club hikes. They are open to the public. Hiking is what we have in common so all these strangers get together and hike and have fun.
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by PHaselow View Post
                  Noodletoy, don't you ever relish being 'on the margin of weird'?
                  am mostly past the point of caring what "other" people think, lol. the garbage i see co-workers stuffing into their pie-holes just makes me not talk about what's in my lunch-bag, lol. am just trying to be healthy and happy.
                  As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Working...
                  X