Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Sihana,

One thing you forgot to mention is the effect of NAFTA in the 90s and now the War on Drugs on immigration. Working in commercial kitchens I knew plenty of immigrants who were here thanks to NAFTA and every one of them would have rather been in Mexico. Things are a little different now in Mexico; most Mexican immigrants are afraid to go back to Mexico, it's too dangerous.

I personally like it when immigrants retain their cultures it makes towns much more interesting. I am a product of parents who thought it was best to assimilate. I wish they'd kept a little more of their cultures, but at the time the thinking was blend in as best you can. My Dad was Apache/Mexican from the barrios of El Paso and he couldn't get far enough away from his background so we kids never had any contact with his side of the family. My mother was an immigrant from Belgium and we had a little more contact with her side of the family.

It gets a little old hearing people complain about immigrants. About a year ago I was in Carmel (there's a town where the residents are whiter than white) and I saw some middle class whites holding up signs approving of Arizona's immigrant laws; the funny thing is Carmel would shut down if it weren't for all the immigrants working in the hotels, restaurants and private homes.
    Thank you so much for commenting. I agree that retaining culture is important. my grandfather laments the fact that he cannot recall/wasn't paying attention to his father's and grandmother's attempts to teach him traditional medicine (they were Wyandotte/Huron Native American), but what he can recount is fascinating.

Comment

• Walk into a bar in Santa Barbara in December and someone might be talking about the great surf we're having. Their hair might still be wet, too.
      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• sbhikes, same thing happened to Monterey it got Disneyfied. When I was a teenager Cannery Row and downtown Monterey were seedy and interesting. Like Santa Barbara it was more laid back then. My husband grew up in Santa Cruz and it was the same thing. We don't even like to visit there any more it's too busy, expensive and fake.
        Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Walk into any establishment in my county in the fall and it is likely that some one will reek of the local commodity, but no one will be talking about it. That's because it's legality is questionable. It would surprise folks to learn what "criminals" in our area look like, you'd never guess by looking at them. Poverty and lack of opportunity makes people do what ever is necessary to get by.
          Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
            Even So Cal beaches are mostly cold and fogged in, at least in Santa Barbara. Looks like we're going to go the whole summer without a summer's day. I went to work today after my nice two-week vacation and on my way out the door I sighed and said, "Time to go back to wearing jackets in the summertime again."
            I'm laughing because I grew up in Orange County, and those are the very things I miss. Guess it's all about perspective.
            Durp.

Comment

• Vegas has a pretty large hispanic community. I don't think the issue is really the race of the people (at least not for reasonable people), I think in most cases it's the people (of any race) that either don't contribute or are a burden on the community. Most people aren't fans of white trash meth cookers, but that's not as controversial.

I do know a number of people that talk about "Mexicans" (those that beat their wives, are chronically unemployed or have multiple children with multiple women and pay support for none) differently than "Hispanics" (those that have a job, love their family and contribute to the communtiy), including my Hispanic best friend. So sometimes when you're hearing trash talk about certain people, it's not always really about race.
              Durp.

Comment

• Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
                I do know a number of people that talk about "Mexicans" (those that beat their wives, are chronically unemployed or have multiple children with multiple women and pay support for none) differently than "Hispanics" (those that have a job, love their family and contribute to the communtiy), including my Hispanic best friend. So sometimes when you're hearing trash talk about certain people, it's not always really about race.
                Exactly.

Here in FL we have several prominent Hispanic communities... Mexican, Puerto Rican, and Cuban(and any mix there of, plus smaller pockets of other Central and South Americans, Islanders, etc.).
                Either of the descriptions that you gave for "Mexicans" or "Hispanics" could apply to members of each of those groups that I have contact with.
                I have a very close friend who is married to a Mexican. Yes, Mexican... born in Mexico, will tell you himself that his back got wet when his mother swam him across the river. He's a GREAT guy. He worked hard in school, then worked to pay his own way into community college... it's not perfect... but he is a fine father, husband, well respected member of the community, and bank manager. I know a Puerto Rican woman who is similar, and whose PR husband breaks cultural boundaries by being a stay at home dad. Also a Cuban, born in the poorest section of Little Havana in Miami... who is a wonderful person and Firefighter. And many others examples.
                The rental house with a poor Puerto Rican family down road a bit, or the rental house full of young white males on my street.
                I really like my PR neighbors... can't stand that other bunch because they cannot be trusted.

I also know and come into contact with the Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, and Cubans that "Americans" (either born in America or immigrants) LOVE to hate. The rude and rotten stereotypes.
                But I can name off just as many white Americans that are just as rotten.
                There are some terrible stereotypes about black Americans... same thing.
                Great ones and ones that suck.
                Honestly, the bad stuff that tends to go on in poor families that live in poor communities is pretty standard across the board... abusive behavior, alcoholism, drugs, crime. It's kind of universal... it just has a bit of different flare due to accent.

It's not the group... it's the individuals. Really.
                And I'm glad that I live in a part of the country that is so diverse.
                Last edited by cori93437; 07-30-2012, 07:13 PM.
                “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• Wait a minute...
                  If a person is FROM Mexico, or their parents are from mexico and they are first gen... aren't they Mexican.
                  Every Mexican I know describes themselves as Mexican and expects the same from others.
                  As do the Puerto Ricans, and the Cubans. Even my fist gen ChineseAm friends say 'Chinese' not 'Asian'.

Hispanic/Asian/European/etc is a great umbrella to use if you aren't sure of someones specific country of origin though, or if you are generalizing.
                  “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                  ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• Originally posted by Sihana
                    *yawns* Sorry, I am tired and need to word things better. I was using it as an umbrella term because there really is no way to tell here. We don't have Little Guatemala or Little Puerto Rico communities here in the Inland Valleys; we do have Little Beijing and Little Hanoi. The use of the term Mexican as a derogatory is simply because that is how I have heard the majority of everyone else refer to it, and that many of the ones who did come here illegally are from Mexico proper. I will admit that the Asian's work to distinguish themselves from one another, while the Hispanics generally do not.

I cannot speak for L.A., that is another monster.
                    I see... yes it works well that way.

I think that there may be so much distinction here between the different Hispanic cultures because we have fairly large populations from several different origins, plus smaller but distinct populations from Central and South Am, and the Islander communities.
                    Heck, FL even has the largest Greek population single community in the world outside of Greece (Tarpon Springs... the food is DELICIOUS!)
                    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• I did walk into a bar in Maxwell, California on a Wednesday afternoon in December. We all shared stories of our duck hunts that morning.

I find the turn that this thread took to be interesting. I think it is all because of a person's comment on California Yuppies. I don't care about California Yuppies. I am not one. I am not a native Californian. I was raised in Texas. I live here because of my work. I would love to leave here for no other reason then I hate the brown dry summers. The people in my area are like people anywhere. They just want to work and take care of their families, maybe prosper, maybe vacation a little and have piece of mind.

I do find one more thing interesting. I suspect that Mark Sisson is a California Yuppie. How ironic?

Comment

• Originally posted by brighthorse View Post
                        I did walk into a bar in Maxwell, California on a Wednesday afternoon in December. We all shared stories of our duck hunts that morning.

I find the turn that this thread took to be interesting. I think it is all because of a person's comment on California Yuppies. I don't care about California Yuppies. I am not one. I am not a native Californian. I was raised in Texas. I live here because of my work. I would love to leave here for no other reason then I hate the brown dry summers. The people in my area are like people anywhere. They just want to work and take care of their families, maybe prosper, maybe vacation a little and have piece of mind.

I do find one more thing interesting. I suspect that Mark Sisson is a California Yuppie. How ironic?
                        Not all Californians are "California yuppies". I lived in SoCal for 35 years. Hell, I even grew up in Orange County, where "California Yuppies" go to make money and die, and I'm not anything close to one.
                        Durp.

Comment

• I have been to both San Francisco and SoCal. In San Francisco, they love me because I am gay. They hate me because I hunt. Isn't that grand? Diversity is great as long as we all think the same! LOL!

I would rather eat glass then go to So Cal. Good God! All those people! I was stuck in traffic there. The sign at the side of the road said Speed Limit 70......I am thinking "yeah....if my truck were on a treadmill." LOL! Nope...I won't be going back there any time soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by brighthorse View Post
                            I would rather eat glass then go to So Cal. Good God! All those people! I was stuck in traffic there. The sign at the side of the road said Speed Limit 70......I am thinking "yeah....if my truck were on a treadmill." LOL! Nope...I won't be going back there any time soon.
                            I have the same sentiments of Socal. I moved to Norcal, have been living here a year, and would never go back down. Traffic is one thing, and the other is the air quality. I like to see my sunsets at a natural yellow hue, not pink, please!
                            My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

• is pink indicative of poor air quality? our sunsets usually have a bit of pink and purple, and i wouldn't think we'd have air quality issues here.
                              my primal journal:
                              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
                                is pink indicative of poor air quality? our sunsets usually have a bit of pink and purple, and i wouldn't think we'd have air quality issues here.
                                If you haven't seen the smog it's hard to realize the difference... but it's very real.

I mean I can sit on the Gulf Coast and watch sunsets over the water... lots of beautiful colors including brilliant pinks and purples, but a 'clear' sky between you and the clouds.

But the pink she is referring to is a grey/pink haze that hangs over the whole area, and you have to look through it to see the sunset, or anything else.
                                My experience was with LA... it was weird.
                                The air literally looked dirty.
                                ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Working...
                                X