No announcement yet.

Are you "one of those women who don't like women?"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was in Maryland, but I think we have one around here, too . . .

One that comes to mind was when we were working on push kicks. Being female, I guess I appeared less intimidating to this kinda shy, skinny-fat girl. What she didn't realize was that I'm less inclined to pull my strikes than the guys are. I DID moderate my push-kick to a certain extent and still, *plop* right over on her butt. *le sigh* *stand her back up, show her the proper stance . . . *
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
      Do you think that treats that you listed as negative, such as stupidity, cruelty and emotional instability are more common in women than men?
      nope. I have met bitchy, whiney, emotional unstable men as well. But that's not what the question was I tend to give the benefit of doubt first then avoid them. Would that be considered rude? Or limiting then? I find it hard in todays society to tell someone you don't like them based on their character rather than just avoiding them in the first place. It's not that I'm not personable, IJDGAS about drama. it makes life easier for me. Hats off to those individuals that can put up with other people just to have company.

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Death View Post
        Wait, don't -all- women dislike women? The ones that seem to bond over makeup and wallpaper and emotional breakdowns are, in my experience, the ones who talk the most shit about each other too.
        nope. my friends and I bond over lots of things, but not makeup or wallpaper. and we don't bitch about each other behind the other's back. every time i've needed help they've been there for me, and i do the same for them.

Originally posted by cmlloyd View Post
        nope. I have met bitchy, whiney, emotional unstable men as well. But that's not what the question was
        The question was: are you one of those women who dislike women? pretty much by definition, if you dislike women then you're a misogynist. If you dislike some women who act like .... then you just dislike those people who happen to be women. there are certainly women i dislike, but i don't think they define my gender.
        my primal journal:
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
          there are certainly women i dislike, but i don't think they define my gender.
          exactly

Comment

i think two people cannot live under the same roof without fighting. I've lived with more men than women (there are mostly men/males in my family), and i've fought with them all. people have disagreements when they have to live in close contact with each other.

Originally posted by cmlloyd View Post
            exactly
            my primal journal:

Comment

I lived with my mom since she got divorced from my father for about 10 years. I lived with my grandmother for a few years while in the university. I shared a room in a hotel with 2 other girls during field school for a few weeks, and them where from French Canada, prairies, and me from Eastern Europe. I lived with the other girls during other field schools in common rooms, like 8 to 12 of us per a very small room for a few weeks.... I now lived with my husband for 13 years under the same roof. I remember a handful of conflicts, maybe one every few years, and I have never argued with the girls I lived with in the field schools. And they were all very different.

I once disliked that bullish type girl in a summer camp when I was maybe 13 or 14, and then I ran into her when she was drinking booze (OMG! Outrage!) in the same far out place where I went to to read my classic novel... and she started talking in that way the drunken people talk about her life, and between the irony of us going to the same place in the camp, and her talking I could not dislike her any more.

(Shrug) Not to say you gotta get them drunk, but you scratch another person and chances are you will find someone more similar to yourself than you've thought. All and all, I'd rather make connections that sniff and pull on my braid Jordanesque style.
              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
              When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I dislike cliquish, gossipy, overly emotional people who make excuses for why they're not where they want to be in life (career, fitness, personal life, etc). In my experience, 90% of the people who I've met who are like this are female.

I like mountaineering, backpacking, video games, lifting weights, shooting guns, power tools, and other "guy" things. Hence, I get along better with dudes than with chicks. I don't have many female friends, because not many women share my interests. /shrug ... it's whatever. I'm not in 3rd grade anymore; my friendships are not determined by gender.

EDIT: Using the word "hence" twice in the same paragraph makes me sound really arrogant. So I changed it =P
                Last edited by AmyMac703; 07-27-2012, 12:42 PM.
                Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Reindeer View Post
                  Speaking of which, there's something I've been wondering about as a non-american. Is the high-pitched 'OMG-culture' of american teenage girls actually real, or was it invented by Hollywood?
                  My two daughters just got out of their teen years, and neither they nor their friends talked that way. I expect it can be found among some teenagers anywhere in America, but only as an imitation of the Hollywood area teen culture.
                  Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Comment

Most of the teen girls i knew growing up did that to make fun of "valley girls." apparently some teen girls actually talk that way, but i don't think it's representative of the whole. Yay for Clueless!
                    my primal journal:

Comment

I'm not a stereotypical female. I'm a science graduate who works in IT. However, I have a creative and a feminine side - I enjoy helping others, cooking, art and making jewellery.

I don't wear make-up because I don't like it. I appreciate the flair of those who dress stylishly and creatively but find fashion slaves very sad.

I'm a non-conformist and tend to gravitate to towards others who are their own person, male or female.

Women who dislike all women? They seem seriously messed up to me. Especially as gender is in part a social construct. It's going against the spirit of being primal to write off genuine engagement with one sex or the other, IMO. Being a female mysogynist speaks volumes about self-hatred.
                      F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
                        Being a female mysogynist speaks volumes about self-hatred.
                        Awesomely said!
                        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

+2
                          my primal journal:

Comment

Women who dislike all women? They seem seriously messed up to me.
                            It makes sense to me. When your gender is socially defined in negative, weak-minded terms, and young girls are pressured into becoming vapid, 2-dimensional clotheshangers whose sole purpose in life is to attract boys, and many women grow up to be baby-crazy, gossipy housewives because that's what they were told life as a woman is all about, is it any wonder that the women who (for whatever reason) didn't end up falling into the trap feel a bit uncomfortable around and contemptuous toward those who did? They're collaborators. They appease the dominant group (men) for personal gain (social approval).

I'm sure that most of the time it is not a conscious thing, but that doesn't mean it's not the truth. Our entire culture constantly spews forth the idea that women being "feminine" is good and normal. So women do it. And they get personal social approval. But, in the process, they confirm all these stereotypes that women are shallow, vain, weak, histrionic, gold-digging, catty bitches who only think about shoes and nail polish and boys. Let me repeat that: Women get personal thumbs ups for providing evidence that their gender is weak. Capitulating to gender norms for personal gain just feeds right back into the system and makes all of us look bad. Because we're all here under this big "Woman" banner together, and confirmation bias is a powerful thing.

I know plenty of women who feel uneasy about other women who are traditionally feminine but can't really articulate why, aside from "we just don't have a lot in common". There's why. And you have every right to feel uneasy.

I also want to say: It doesn't surprise me that many (most?) of the women here don't seem to fit the typical stereotypical mold, because the courage (and/or wisdom) it takes to stand up against feminine social mandates is the same type of courage (and/or wisdom) it takes to stand up against CW dieting. Both are in every women's tv show, women's magazine, women's advertisement, etc. They're almost inextricable. And if you can see through one, it's easier to see through the other.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

Comment

Originally posted by Gravyboat View Post
                              It makes sense to me. When your gender is socially defined in negative, weak-minded terms, and young girls are pressured into becoming vapid, 2-dimensional clotheshangers whose sole purpose in life is to attract boys, and many women grow up to be baby-crazy, gossipy housewives because that's what they were told life as a woman is all about, is it any wonder that the women who (for whatever reason) didn't end up falling into the trap feel a bit uncomfortable around and contemptuous toward those who did?
                              sure, if you think those particular people define your gender for you. i don't.

I'm sure that most of the time it is not a conscious thing, but that doesn't mean it's not the truth.
                              prejudism usually isn't intentional or conscious.

I also want to say: It doesn't surprise me that many (most?) of the women here don't seem to fit the typical stereotypical mold, because the courage (and/or wisdom) it takes to stand up against feminine social mandates is the same type of courage (and/or wisdom) it takes to stand up against CW dieting. Both are in every women's tv show, women's magazine, women's advertisement, etc. They're almost inextricable. And if you can see through one, it's easier to see through the other.
                              i personally don't find it courageous to choose to eat different foods. but anyway...

btw, love ya gravyboat. I just completely disagree with you.
                              my primal journal:

Comment

And thanks, but I don't hate myself. I hate what I'm expected to be: A small, weak, painted-up, physically-flawless, dainty, emotional, eternally-nurturing, eternally-forgiving, boy-crazy idiot.

Thanks, but I would rather be a human being. And I have no problem opposing the choices other people make that reflect badly on me just because I happen to share the same chromosomes.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

Comment

Working...
                                X