Itchy mouth and lips from wild caught salmon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Itchy mouth and lips from wild caught salmon

My boyfriend and I have been primal for almost a week now. It is amazing!

However, tonight we baked a filet of wild-caught USA sock-eye salmon. I drizzled a sauce of whole grain mustard and maple syrup and salt on it.

It made the roof of my mouth and my lips itch like crazy! And the roof of my mouth around my soft palate turned bright red.

We had to throw this big expensive piece of fish away!

What could this be caused from?

Thank you!
    Ashley

did the same thing happen to your BF? What else did you have to eat? Could be an oral allergy...read more here:
    Oral allergy syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

Have you ever used that sauce before?
      Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by ashleyadamssop View Post
        My boyfriend and I have been primal for almost a week now. It is amazing!

However, tonight we baked a filet of wild-caught USA sock-eye salmon. I drizzled a sauce of whole grain mustard and maple syrup and salt on it.

It made the roof of my mouth and my lips itch like crazy! And the roof of my mouth around my soft palate turned bright red.

We had to throw this big expensive piece of fish away!

What could this be caused from?

Thank you!
        Ashley
        I'm no doctor, but that sure sounds like an allergic reaction to me. Pretty sure you can't be allergic to salt, and that leaves 3 potential sources. And I hate to say it, but my money's on the salmon. I have a buddy who's allergic to tuna, and only tuna. Can eat everything else without problem, including salmon, all shellfish, mollusks, bivalves, etc... But tuna gives him the exact symptoms you describe.
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I would change where you purchase your salmon. My mum just recently had the same symptoms when she ate a piece of salmon from the farmers market. She questioned her supplier and after much badgering he told her that he actually dips his fish in 'a solution'. He wouldn't say what exactly. She went to the other salmon supplier at the market the next week, bought his product, and no trouble at all.

Comment

Originally posted by anastasia View Post
            I would change where you purchase your salmon. My mum just recently had the same symptoms when she ate a piece of salmon from the farmers market. She questioned her supplier and after much badgering he told her that he actually dips his fish in 'a solution'. He wouldn't say what exactly. She went to the other salmon supplier at the market the next week, bought his product, and no trouble at all.
            Interesting... Damned solution is not a solution at all!
            "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
            "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
            "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

Working...
            X