Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal advice for getting a tattoo needed!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal advice for getting a tattoo needed!

Okay, sounds a bit stupid, but hear me out! The last few times I've had a tattoo, I've had a period where I get all shaky and faint, which usually occurs a few minutes into the tattooing process. This seems to be fixed quite nicely by sucking on a lollipop! In fact, I started sucking the lollipop at the start of my last tattoo, and I had no faintness or dizziness.

Anyways, now I'm Primal I really, REALLY don't want to have to resort to sugar. BUT I am scared that the same thing will happen, and I'll get all faint and dizzy and the only thing that will fix it will be to suck on something evil and sugary .

I haven't been primal for very long (I have been introducing more traditional fats/foods etc. but I was still consuming too much sugar up until only about a week ago), and I really REALLY don't want to fall off the bandwagon here.

So has anyone got any advice/experience? Is there anything else you know that will stave off the "shock" reaction my body seems to have>

Thanks!

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I'm thinking Grok's response to the idea of being voluntarily pierced with needles would be "NO!" so as for a primal way to handle the hell you're willingly inflicting on your body, there might not be one. If you're going to get a tattoo regardless... how about a square or two of dark chocolate? Look for at least 70% cacao... if you want something sweet, the 70% is the way to go. I think there's a world of taste difference between 70% and 85% (bleh). Chocolate also has a host of mood-boosting flavonoids. Best of luck!

Comment

If possible, lie down and let the blood flow to your head. I have a fear after injections (not during, after!) where I get the hot flush, cold sweats, feel faint, weak and everything. I found lying down is a great help. Dark chocolate is a great idea too.

Comment

It's called meditation.
        Google around and learn some breathing exercises and such to help you get you there.

I've been tattooed 3 times, twice I fell asleep during it.
        The one I didn't fall asleep for is small and on the inside of my forearm... no time to doze off completely really. But is wasn't painful at all. Plus I was sitting up instead leaning over of face down all comfortable like.
        The other two times low on the back of my neck, and my left hip/butt cheek... fell asleep. And was told that's not how I was supposed to react. *shrug*
        It's all about learning to breathe out any pain you feel, and zone yourself out so that you don't feel any more.
        Ride those endorphins in a good way, instead of the shaky, nervous way.

And if it takes a lolly-pop to get you through... so what.
        A couple of suckers is not the end of the world. Seriously.
        You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.
        ~Friedrich Nietzsche
        And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

If it's a stress/blood sugar thing, you will still need something. Bring some fruit (for the sugar) and kombucha (to settle your stomach) to snack on. Bring some chocolate because it's delicious and a lolly-pop, because it's better to have something just in case your alternative doesn't work than to have to stop because you are going to faint.
          Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndChance View Post
            I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I'm thinking Grok's response to the idea of being voluntarily pierced with needles would be "NO!"
            Not really. Many HGs and traditional cultures practice all manner of body modification. Not getting mods is more of a modern thing.

Oh, and to the OP, lying down is definitely a good idea, and make sure you've had a decent meal an hour or two beforehand. I used to get light headed but my last tattoo (I have 7) I was fine, almost dozed off. Meditating and breathing through it is good as well. It helps to have a good rapport with the artist also. If you feel comfortable and relaxed then it tends to go easier.
            Last edited by Blackcatbone; 07-23-2012, 04:13 PM.
            Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

If I get blood drawn, I bring music with me and sing the lyrics in my head to divert my attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcatbone View Post
                Not really. Many HGs and traditional cultures practice all manner of body modification. Not getting mods is more of a modern thing.
                +1. Body modification is very Primal, methinks.

Unless you seriously think one lollipop is going to throw you off the rails, just have your lollipop. If you really don't want to do that, try some fruit or something else naturally sweet instead.
                Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                  It's called meditation.
                  Google around and learn some breathing exercises and such to help you get you there.
                  This ^

If it works for birthing them babies (and I can attest that it does) it can work for a tattoo (I can attest to this as well).

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                  And if it takes a lolly-pop to get you through... so what.
                  A couple of suckers is not the end of the world. Seriously.
                  And this ^
                  Durp.

Comment

Body mods are old as time and primal - but modern tattoo inks are not. I wonder what they're made of?

Comment

Unfortunately, tattoo ink manufacturers are not regulated or required to report on their ingredients. To my knowledge, they do not use heavy metals like they used to. Some are "vegan" and may be soy-based.
                      Depression Lies

Comment

That's not very reassuring.

Comment

This sounds a lot like a vasovagal response. My husband gets this if he has blood drawn while sitting. If he lies down while having his blood taken, he's totally fine. He had no idea this was the reason until some doctor mentioned it in passing last year. I don't know how much control you have over the position you're in (maybe it depends on where the tattoo is?) but have you tried lying down?

These were two of the suggestions from wikipedia that might be helpful:

Because vasovagal syncope causes a decrease in blood pressure, relaxing the entire body as a mode of avoidance isn't favorable.[11] A patient can move or cross his/her legs and tighten leg muscles to keep blood pressure from dropping so drastically before an injection.

Before known triggering events, the patient may increase consumption of salt and fluids to increase blood volume. Sports and energy drinks, as well as coconut water, may be particularly helpful.

Vasovagal response - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But honestly, if the lollipop works, I say keep using it. One lollipop is not the end of the world.
                          Last edited by BestBetter; 07-24-2012, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndChance View Post
                            I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I'm thinking Grok's response to the idea of being voluntarily pierced with needles would be "NO!" so as for a primal way to handle the hell you're willingly inflicting on your body, there might not be one
                            Originally posted by Blackcatbone View Post
                            Many HGs and traditional cultures practice all manner of body modification. Not getting mods is more of a modern thing.
                            Originally posted by Uncephalized View Post
                            +1. Body modification is very Primal, methinks.
                            Originally posted by Lily Marie View Post
                            Body mods are old as time and primal - but modern tattoo inks are not. I wonder what they're made of?
                            Just to throw my $.02 into the speculation ring..........

While, yes there are many "primitive" cultures that westerners have come in contact with who sported tattoos and other body mods, I think if you take it back farther in history to Grok's time, I have to agree with 2nd Chance above.

Groks would have seen fellow tribe members die of infections in wounds. Voluntarily inflicting a wound on themselves (which is what "body mod" is), would have violated the "Avoid stupid mistakes" rule of living.

And I share Lily Marie's concern about the content of the ink itself. That goes against the "Avoid poisonous things" rule. We will go out of our way to get an additive free soap but voluntarily put ink *under* our skin?

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                              Just to throw my $.02 into the speculation ring..........

While, yes there are many "primitive" cultures that westerners have come in contact with who sported tattoos and other body mods, I think if you take it back farther in history to Grok's time, I have to agree with 2nd Chance above.

Groks would have seen fellow tribe members die of infections in wounds. Voluntarily inflicting a wound on themselves (which is what "body mod" is), would have violated the "Avoid stupid mistakes" rule of living.

And I share Lily Marie's concern about the content of the ink itself. That goes against the "Avoid poisonous things" rule. We will go out of our way to get an additive free soap but voluntarily put ink *under* our skin?
                              I would argue that in indigenous cultures, body modifications are almost always tied to cultural or religious beliefs and values; hence the risk of infection or death might seem an acceptable risk. Take scarification for instance- being cut repeatedly and then having wood ash rubbed into the wounds seems like a terrible idea, especially in a setting where infection or parasites are a very distinct possibility. However, cultures around the world engage in this practice in order to recognize an individual within that society. To them it's not a stupid mistake to be avoided at all; it is a vital part of their culture, risks included.
                              "Its not about how strong you are, its how well you can move with that strength."

Comment

Working...
                              X