Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal advice for getting a tattoo needed!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, you'll find that the particular pigments used often *just happen* to come from antimicrobial plants that prevent infection in the wounds...
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone, we will see how it goes! I'm thinking I'll bring something along just in case... if I need it, I need it, if I don't, I don't.

For the record, I never had a problem with the first couple of tattoos I had (when I was younger, thinner and fitter lol), it was only a couple of more recent ones. It was a weird response (to me) as it isn't as if the pain was excruciating or anything, and I was handling it well and then BAM all faint, sweating and dizzy. However, the last tattoo I had, I didn't experience the reaction, but I put it down to starting my lollipop right from the beginning rather than when I had the shock type response. (Vasovagal response, as BestBetter suggested, perhaps?)

As for avoiding tattoos cause they're not primal... well, I just consider myself a neo-primal and, of course, as has been mentioned many traditional indigenous cultures pierce, and stretch and tattoo and do all sorts of stuff! And yeah, I like tattoos .

I am SORT of hoping that now I've adapted to being sugar free for a wee while, that my body won't suddenly NEED sugar desperately. It would be awesome if I could lie down, too, but it's not really a "lying down position" tattoo (inner forearm).

Comment

Originally posted by Blanchy View Post
        I would argue that in indigenous cultures, body modifications are almost always tied to cultural or religious beliefs and values; hence the risk of infection or death might seem an acceptable risk. Take scarification for instance- being cut repeatedly and then having wood ash rubbed into the wounds seems like a terrible idea, especially in a setting where infection or parasites are a very distinct possibility. However, cultures around the world engage in this practice in order to recognize an individual within that society. To them it's not a stupid mistake to be avoided at all; it is a vital part of their culture, risks included.
        I agree with you're saying but I'm talking about father back in pre-history than civilizations that had religious rites or rites of passage. I'm talking about Grok and his extended family surviving in a pretty hostile world. They wouldn't risk losing a tribe member for a body mod. In later, larger, more organized societies, yes, I see what you're saying.

Originally posted by Uncephalized View Post
        Also, you'll find that the particular pigments used often *just happen* to come from antimicrobial plants that prevent infection in the wounds...
        I wonder if there are tattoo places that specialize in organic pigments. The next niche market.

Originally posted by Iron Fireling View Post
        As for avoiding tattoos cause they're not primal... well, I just consider myself a neo-primal and, of course, as has been mentioned many traditional indigenous cultures pierce, and stretch and tattoo and do all sorts of stuff! And yeah, I like tattoos .
        I hope you have a safe and happy experience. I didn't mean to be anti-tat per se. Just historical speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
          I wonder if there are tattoo places that specialize in organic pigments. The next niche market.
          That would definitely be cool--I'm sure there are already places that use traditional methods and inks, though.
          Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Uncephalized View Post
            That would definitely be cool--I'm sure there are already places that use traditional methods and inks, though.
            I know there are places that do traditional Polynesian tattoos (using bones as needles and tapping, IIRC), but I don't know of any other types or going further back, and I haven't heard anything about the inks people use. It just never occurred to me until now that you could have a choice.
            Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
              There are pigments on the market that claim to be either organic or hypoallergenic. The problem is that formulations are a closely guarded secret so you never know exactly what you're getting, although there seems to be some improvement in that area. If a particular shop doesn't use the ink you want you should be able to have it stocked for you, which of course you'd have to pay for but I wouldn't think that much more. If the shop refused to work with you then that's a shop to avoid.
              Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
                I know there are places that do traditional Polynesian tattoos (using bones as needles and tapping, IIRC), but I don't know of any other types or going further back, and I haven't heard anything about the inks people use. It just never occurred to me until now that you could have a choice.
                Yes there are, but you have to look for them. A friend of mine had a full back piece done in Korea using bamboo. This is another friend of mine getting traditional work done in Hawaii. His chest and stomach are covered as well.
                Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

Working...
                X