Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not losing weight. Need help figuring this out.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not losing weight. Need help figuring this out.

Hello! I read the forums a lot but rarely post. I started a journal ages ago but since I write everything down in a book at home it felt a bit redundant.

Anywho, just hoping this community can help me figure things out a bit. I've been primal for almost a year. I am by no means 100% compliant and have good meals and bad meals. Most weeks I'm at about 80-85% compliance.

I'm a creature of habit so I will post what a sample day would look like for me (since 9 out of 10 days look like this!):

Breakfast:
    4 slices of bacon
    small amount of berries (raspberries, blueberries, etc)
    coffee with almond milk and tsp of honey

Lunch:
    Salad (lettuce, cucumber, red peppers, broccoli)
    Dressing of olive oil, balsamic or apple cider vinegar, and spices
    Meat is usually bacon, or leftover from the night before, or sausage (organic, no filler, etc from market)

Dinner:
    Meat of some sort (steak, sausage, pork chop - all from "paleo" butcher)
    Veggies (broccoli, salad, peppers, etc).

Supplements:
    Vitamin D (more in winter months, less in summer months)

For fitness I go to a gym that promotes this lifestyle. I take 3 strength training classes a week (heavy lifting with some conditioning) and for the past 6 weeks have been doing a class twice a week called "this is not a bootcamp" that is a metabolic conditioning class.

Despite all this, I weigh exactly the same as I did a year ago. My clothes fit a bit better, but I'm still carrying excess fat. At 5'6" I weigh 193 lbs. NOT good for a girl of my height. I am by no means trying to weigh 110 lbs but I do need to lose some fat and it doesn't seem to be happening.

HELP!!!

are you eating enough? or too much? at 5'6", you're not a tiny girl, and you're pretty active.

i'd cut the processed meat everyday. bacon and sausage are delicious, but i'd focus on fresh meats and fish. i eat bacon once per week.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Disclaimer: not an expert, still figuring this stuff out for myself.

A few questions about your menu and exercise:
      1) Are you not much of a breakfast person? How do you feel about eggs?
      2) Is your bacon store-bought (potentially higher in sodium and nitrates/nitrites)? or is it also sourced from the paleo butcher?
      3) How big is your lunch salad? How much meat are you putting on it?
      4) Salad dressings - homemade or store bought?
      5) How big is your dinner portion of meat?
      6) How many hours a week are you exercising?
      7) Are there any "extras" (in terms of diet) that sneak in now and again but are not frequent enough to include in a typical menu?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

where are you carrying your weight? above or below the waist?
        how old are you?
        what if any metabolic disorders have you been diagnosed with?
        Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
        Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
        Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Are you eating enough? Without seeing amounts, that's hard to tell. But your breakfast looks tiny. Bacon isn't an ideal meat, so I would try replacing that with something else for a while. Try eggs or some other meat. How long are the classes you're taking? Is it possible you are doing too much exercise? Do you get in much slow movement?

How is your sleep? Energy? Have you had your thyroid checked?

Comment

Check the ingredients on the almond milk? Maybe something weird in it it?

Otherwise- change up the bacon and eat something more protein rich- like eggs for breakfast or chicken on your lunch salad.
            Measure portions (weigh) and talley up calorie counts on Livestrong.com just to make sure you aren't simply eating too much. I buy bacon that is 120 calories a slice.... and bacon that is 2 slices for 60 calories. Your breakfast could be anything from 120 to 480 calories. You don't have to track calories for ever- just get a ballpark of what you are consuming.

And you said 90%. My question would also be.... is your 10% a day where you have maybe some non-pastured meat, ice cream, a cheat here or there... or is your 90% a day where you go off and eatdoughnuts for breakfast, pizza for lunch, beer and McDonalds for dinner? I can tell when I eat gluten... like I did this weekend- 2 onion rings, a slice of cheesecake. Sharp tummy pains and now I'll be bloated for about a week. I can see how if you have a regular cheat day, you'd stay inflamed despite being good most of the time. I stick to it well, but different cheats for me have different impacts- I can do ice cream and it slows weight loss etc. but anything with wheat just destroys me for a week. My belly is literally is 4" bigger today than last week. If you never fully eliminate an irritating substance, you may not see results.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
            Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Thank you everyone for the responses. I will try and answer all your questions.

All of my meat is purchased from 2 butchers that have naturally raised, no hormone, nitrate and antibiotic free meats (including bacon). I buy no meat in the store unless I didn't make it to market that week (very rare).

I was eating eggs but I don't really like them that much so got away from them. Before going primal I didn't eat breakfast at all so it's taken some time to get into a routine of eating breakfast but I'm pretty religious about it now.

I carry my weight in my midsection and am 36 years old.

Salad dressings are all homemade.

I have had my thyroid checked and the doctor said it was "normal" (whatever that means) and I have not been diagnosed with any other metabolic conditions or issues.

I exercise 4 or 5 hours a week and try and get in "slow" movement like walking at least a few nights/days a week. I have good weeks and bad weeks depending on how busy I am.

My portions aren't small (nor are they huge). I try and eat until I'm approaching fullness (not stuffed) and then stop. Salads are probably the size of a medium restaurant salad (not the huge monstrosities they sometimes give you).

My 10% varies. It's definitely not a free for all but there is the occasional ice cream, or slice of pizza. I don't designate anytime as a cheat, but sometimes I'm in a situation where I'm eating less than ideal.

To give you an idea of my bodyshape....I'm in the pink tank top.

Comment

i see some estrogen dominance issues. when you make it to your routine check up ask for the following

1. checking to exclude hashi or graves. ( not really expecting it, but they are game changers may as well remove them from the running )
                2. check levels of vitamin D, DHEA-s. if they are normal congrats ( vitamin d needs to be above 70) if not then have pregnenolone and progesterone checked.
                3. fasting insulin, not fasting glucose. this is usually done with a colesterol test, but who cares about cholesterol LOL.. as long as the ratios are good.

those 3 sets of test can give you some good info if you are stuck and acting right, and i think you are acting right so lets move beyond personal portion control for just a bit.

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

Comment

Good luck. I will be interested in reading more responses.

IMHO, you may have to eliminate cheats I know I had to eliminate cheat days....they caused me to have cravings and eat poorly.

Also, do some research on fasting.

Finally, I am a man and I have heard that it is much harder for woman to loose weight and I wish that weren't the case.

Please don't give up.

Comment

if it were me, i'd track for awhile to double-check my macros. i know it's a pain, but without hard data, you're just flinging spaghetti at the wall to see what sticks.

do you have a yo-yo history with your weight? that makes weight loss much harder each time you try.
                    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by LuluButtons View Post
                      Thank you everyone for the responses. ....
                      I have had my thyroid checked and the doctor said it was "normal" (whatever that means) and I have not been diagnosed with any other metabolic conditions or issues. ...
                      depends on the doctor, but mostly it means
                      "i checked your TSH,
                      and i know it really doesn't mean anything but
                      it looks really good against the numbers my big pharma rep gave me"

unless they checked the below they didnt check a damn thing

Thytropin Releasing Hormone CPT Code: 83519; 84999
                      Thyroxine (T4) CPT Code: 84436
                      Triiodothyronine (T3) CPT Code: 84480
                      Reverse T3 CPT Code: 84482
                      Thyroxine-binding Globulin (TBG), Serum CPT Code: 84442
                      Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Antibodies CPT Code: 86376
                      Thyroid Antithyroglobulin Antibody CPT Code: 86800

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

Comment

I do have a yo yo history. My weight was never an issue into my twenties in the sense that if I put on a few pounds I could take off a few pounds quite easily. I was never one to be skinny, but was always a healthy athletic build.

Nearing the end of my twenties I was diagnosed with severe depression and put on a myriad of different anti depressants. I also had the Mirena coil inserted. I packed on roughly 40lbs with these medications and have not been able to lose the weight since. I have however, managed to get myself off the anti-depressants through a combination of primal eating and chiropractic care, and the Mirena Coil has been removed. I have been under chiropractic care since October of last year and it has changed my health (for the better) drastically!

I will start tracking my macros and go from there. I'm due for a check up at the doctor in the next couple of months and I will push for those tests.

I'm just really frustrated. I chose to eat this way both to lose weight AND to move closer to optimal health. I'll never go back to typical eating, but it's still frustrating to not lose any weight. I have been diligent and made this a lifestyle....but I still need to lose this extra fat I'm carrying around. I just feel like a failure because I'm diligently ticking the boxes and it's not having the desired effect. One of the reasons I like this lifestyle so much is that it's not like a diet where I have to count calories, points, etc. I guess tracking for a bit won't kill me though if it can get me on the right track.
                        Last edited by LuluButtons; 07-23-2012, 10:52 AM. Reason: added information

Comment

You and I actually have similar stats. I'm 5'6", 190, 36 yrs old. From my n=1 perspective, I have to be pretty darn close to 100% Primal or I don't lose. And even Primal indulgences like 86% dark chocolate can stall me if I eat more than a tiny bit. Red wine will also stall me if I have it more than occasionally (even a couple glasses a week can cause a stall). I have to stay away from grains completely - it's not worth even a bite, because not only will it stall me, it'll cause cravings and irritability (both physical and emotional) - sushi rice seems to be an exception, but that in itself is only an occasional indulgence. Your mileage may vary, but since you've said that it's been a year and you haven't really lost anything weight-wise AND your body comp has only minimally changed, I wonder if it might be time to eliminate that 10 or 20% of non-Primal eating and go as clean as possible.

Some people have had luck doing the Whole30 plan to break stalls and identify food sensitivities. I'm actually considering doing this in August myself.

Also - if you're not hungry in the morning, and you're not much of a breakfast person, don't force yourself to eat breakfast just because you think you should. And breakfast doesn't have to be "breakfast food" - last night's leftovers can be breakfast too.

Good luck!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

Sorry you are having trouble losing the body fat. But it is well-distributed, and you clearly have a lot of muscle, too. Look at your elbow and your kneecaps - your bones are HUGE. Your skin looks great. You are leaps and bounds ahead of where you may think you are.

I also think a better thyroid work-up is in order.

Not seeing organ meats. My energy goes through the roof and I know I use up more body fat for days after I eat liver. Might try at least getting some liver in there if you're not already.

And, to be honest, in this industrialized world - 100% compliance is not possible. You can do the best you can, but you're probably getting bamboozled by some grocer somewhere, still drinking hormone-disrupting tap water, and breathing car exhaust. This means that your 80% probably translates down to more like 70%. Heck, it means my 95% probably gets downgraded to 80% most of the time. I mean, I eat canned fish! Canned! What I'm trying to say is, shoot for 100% so you are actually more in the 85% range, and you might see better results.
                            Last edited by Knifegill; 07-23-2012, 11:05 AM.
                            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                              Sorry you are having trouble losing the body fat. But it is well-distributed, and you clearly have a lot of muscle, too. Look at your elbow and your kneecaps - your bones are HUGE. Your skin looks great. You are leaps and bounds ahead of where you may think you are.

I also think a better thyroid work-up is in order.

Not seeing organ meats. My energy goes through the roof and I know I use up more body fat for days after I eat liver. Might try at least getting some liver in there if you're not already.

And, to be honest, in this industrialized world - 100% compliance is not possible. You can do the best you can, but you're probably getting bamboozled by some grocer somewhere, still drinking hormone-disrupting tap water, and breathing car exhaust. This means that your 80% probably translates down to more like 70%. Heck, it means my 95% probably gets downgraded to 80% most of the time. I mean, I eat canned fish! Canned! What I'm trying to say is, shoot for 100% so you are actually more in the 85% range, and you might see better results.
                              finally knifegill and I agree. i knew it woudl happen one day :-)

on the downside. anti depressives MAY indicate a poor brain glucose metabolism.

it is worth removing all sugars for 10 days to see how your energy does. i mean all natural or otherwise. make up for the calories with saturated fats. if your energy or mood improves overall in those 10 days you may be interested in working the ketogenic aspect of paleo.

increase marine animals as you can regardless, you want to repair the damage to your noggin that those meds can cause.

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

Comment

Working...
                              X