Waking up to pee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waking up to pee

I have been "struggling" with this for as long as i can remember. It didn't start or get worse when I started eating primal. But I wake up 1-2x a night to pee. I usually fall back asleep within 5 minutes but it's still uncomfortable. I didn't try the obvious solution of not drinking before bed yet, but about how long before bed should I stop drinking? And any other suggestions?
    I also pee quite a lot during the day, (also for my entire life). Maybe just hold it in longer to stretch the bladder?
    Thanks
    well then

Could be some kind of hormonal imbalance. Your circadian rhythms may be not quite right.

If I were you, I'd try googling something like: "circadian rhythms urination".

HTH

Comment

Thanks, I'll try to eliminate light earlier before bed
      well then

Comment

For me it's on and off, depending on how much I drink and how late before sleep. If I need to go I just go. The most annoying is if it happens just 30-40 minutes before I would normally wake up, then I don't have time to sleep before the alarm rings (yup, I use an alarm, some people have to wake up in the morning ). In this case most times I ignore the urge.
        I don't think it is a problem if it happens once per night. If it's every hour or so, then you have to worry. Otherwise, don't sweat it and do it.

Comment

I have that problem but it seems to be related to how deep I'm sleeping. If I'm in a dark, cool room with no noise or "white noise" like the AC, I usually sleep through the night and wake up with the urge when the alarm goes off.

If I don't get into that deep sleep, the semi-full bladder will wake me up and I get up.

You might want to see if your getting into a deep enough sleep. Check out some of the sleeping advice tips and threads on the site and forum.
          Randal
          AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
          Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
          http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

Don't drink/eat heavily before you go to sleep. For me, that was the problem back then.
            Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Comment

Originally posted by texas.grok View Post
              I have that problem but it seems to be related to how deep I'm sleeping. If I'm in a dark, cool room with no noise or "white noise" like the AC, I usually sleep through the night and wake up with the urge when the alarm goes off.

If I don't get into that deep sleep, the semi-full bladder will wake me up and I get up.

You might want to see if your getting into a deep enough sleep. Check out some of the sleeping advice tips and threads on the site and forum.
              Hmm.. Well I sleep in perfect conditions I think
              well then

Comment

Originally posted by Gilleh View Post
                Don't drink/eat heavily before you go to sleep. For me, that was the problem back then.
                How long is before bed? 2-3 hours or so?
                well then

Comment

I have a weak bladder as well, would always wake up 2/3x a night to pee...I recently stopped drinking after 7pm (sleeping 10/11pm-6:30am), though sips of water are OK. I also made sure not to drink caffine (coffee/tea) after 4pm. I make sure to pee while I'm getting ready for bed, even if I don't feel the urge. Started this routine about 3 weeks ago and has worked perfectly - I stop getting up at night.

I know that years ago my doctor has recommended medicine for this (can't remember the name but I'm sure you could google some info), but at the time I couldn't afford it. Now that I am primal, sleeping properly is important but I would be hesitant to take a medicine I didn't really need.
                  Winterzodiac F, 31, 5'2"
                  HW: 230lbs (approx), size 22
                  SW Paleo: 155lbs (7/31/12)
                  CW: 155 lbs
                  GW: 130 lbs/Sz 10 and to fit into a cute Halloween costume this year!

My Journal:
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread63367.html

Comment

Originally posted by winterzodiac View Post
                    I have a weak bladder as well, would always wake up 2/3x a night to pee...I recently stopped drinking after 7pm (sleeping 10/11pm-6:30am), though sips of water are OK. I also made sure not to drink caffine (coffee/tea) after 4pm. I make sure to pee while I'm getting ready for bed, even if I don't feel the urge. Started this routine about 3 weeks ago and has worked perfectly - I stop getting up at night.

I know that years ago my doctor has recommended medicine for this (can't remember the name but I'm sure you could google some info), but at the time I couldn't afford it. Now that I am primal, sleeping properly is important but I would be hesitant to take a medicine I didn't really need.
                    Not eating/drinking before bed is the first thing I'll try medicines the last
                    well then

Comment

I had that problem when I was consciously low-carb. Now that IDGAF about sugar, I sleep soundly throughout the night.
                      You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpycakes View Post
                        I had that problem when I was consciously low-carb. Now that IDGAF about sugar, I sleep soundly throughout the night.
                        Well i had the problem before primal. And now I also get at LEAST 170g carbs but often over 250
                        well then

Comment

Unless it wakes you up to the point of not being able to go back to sleep, don't worry.
                          Try no fluids for three hours before bed as a first step if you want to reduce.
                          Don't try to 'stretch' your bladder out. It does nothing except strain it.
                          Obey your desire to pee as you would your desire to drink: respond as the body demands unless there is something obviously wrong.

Comment

I had an anatomy teacher that said that some people answer the urge too quickly. If this isn't a medical problem, you may be able to "teach" yourself to go a little less often. When you feel the urge, instead of going immediately, hold it just a little longer - not a lot, we're not going for records. If you do this every time, you may be able to desensitize your bladder a little.
                            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                              I had an anatomy teacher that said that some people answer the urge too quickly. If this isn't a medical problem, you may be able to "teach" yourself to go a little less often. When you feel the urge, instead of going immediately, hold it just a little longer - not a lot, we're not going for records. If you do this every time, you may be able to desensitize your bladder a little.
                              Thanks, I'll try it
                              well then

Comment

Working...
                              X