No announcement yet.

Why Neanderthals Sported Arms Like Popeye

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, but I don't know that he considers himself so much of an athlete as he does a spectacle.
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
      Yeah, but I don't know that he considers himself so much of an athlete as he does a spectacle.
      I guess that's the problem. Nobody seems to view fitness itself as important anymore. Sure, people have their obssessions with sports, but that's not really the same thing, is it?
      In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

He's a professional arm wrestler, if memory serves me correct. So, in a way, the assymetry's part and parcel to his sport.

Comment

I'm going to hazard a guess that Neanderthals relied on projectile weapons for anything they couldn't manhandle themselves or escape to safety from. Why? They couldn't run for shit.

This stronger forearm was their spear-throwing arm. You see this same effect, albeit on a smaller scale, with baseball players. Especially pitchers.

Comment

Except Neanderthals aren't known to have had projectile weapons; in fact, it's believed they didn't. IIRC, the injuries sustained and structure of their bones indicate dense musculature and routine injuries consistant with close encounters with prey.

Comment

Working...
            X