Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking good vs feeling good

Vanity/trite thread fersure.

Let's say for argument sake that you're about 33 lbs from goal weight (a lot, but better than the 88 pounds from goal weight that started this too often traveled journey).

You are looking at some photos from last time you came off of self-medicating with food and alcohol and you notice an unusual thing.

At 132 pounds you looked positively boinkable. At 117 pounds, you look a little like a bobble head doll - big head; skinny body. But, you remember that at 117 pounds you moved better than you had in 20 years. Your bp was 114/75. All the feeling stuff was good. But, you kinda looked like a little boy with breasts.

What would you set as your goal weight?
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

I would stop relying on the scale and just focus on getting to a point where you feel good again.

Comment

i would focus on feeling good, regardless of weight. your weight isn't really a great measure of health. if you basically follow the ten primal laws, you'll be healthy. body fat percentage and other markers of body composition are better to focus on. the primal blueprint isn't exactly about losing weight; it's about achieving homeostasis, which is really your optimal size/health/etc.
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Maintain your set point, whatever that is.

Comment

Originally posted by fiercehunter View Post
          Maintain your set point, whatever that is.
          what if it is 350 pounds?

as for the OP, I agree, go to where you feel best whether that be where you are now or less. Also you could always lose fat and not weight (build muscle in other words). Batty had an awesome thread on that. No reason skinny has to equal healthiest.

Comment

Eat, move, enjoy...anything else is over-thinking your weight.
            Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
            PS
            Don't forget to play!

Comment

Go with looking good; the world can always use some more eye-candy.

Comment

Without getting into a long diatribe, I will tell you that I'm trying not to overthink weight. But I'd also like to say that the emotional scars one gets by how one is treated as a fat woman in this culture are not easily healed.

I'll get there. I rarely make it to the finish line first, but I almost always get there.
                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

When I was at my skinniest---I was not feeling as healthy...but started to become really obsessed with how skinny I was able to get (119lbs). So I dont think that was healthy for my head either. Honestly...I'm pretty ok with my current weight---around 135 (5' 4.5") and have boobs at this weight too! ...my chest nearly disappeared at 119! I think I was best around 125---but I was never there while primal, so that could feel totally different!
                  Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
                  http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

Keep in mind the height/weight chart was probably invented by the health insurance industry. I personally think 147 pounds (max per healthy "norms") for me at 5'6" would be a bit too low, especially the min weight of 133 pounds. So, I am personally aiming for 180 pounds first, and then see how things go from there. Additionally, there is a big difference between two people who are of the same height and weight but have different muscle tone (fit vs flab).

Comment

From the OP, I don't know what you mean about looking good vs feeling good.

Do you think that you look better at 135, but feel better at 120?

Perhaps there's a happy medium? Like, try for 127 and see if you look AND feel good?

I would go for feeling good, and then see what weight that is.

Comment

If you're actively trying to lose weight, just stop that for a bit but keep eating Primal fare. I personally don't think that a few extra pounds will make you feel worse, so if you like how you look at that weight then finding the best of both worlds shouldn't be difficult.
                        I wish I liked to eat liver.

Comment

I would target the weight:

Where my best clothes are
                          Where I can stay comfortably without gaining
                          Where I don't look like a lifetime smoker due to sagging skin
                          Where I am proportional (some breasts, stomach not sticking out, shirts not riding up in back)

Keep in mind that once you gain you look old when you go back to your lowest weight....

Comment

I think "attractive" is a factor of how healthy we are and not about weight. If you are grossly obese or skeleton thin, you are not healthy, no matter what your numbers may say. But for most of us, we can be healthy at a wide range of weights. And "attractive" has more factors than body fat %. There is the glow of your skin, health of your hair and eyes, your energy level. No one wants to be with the person who may have a perfect body but has dull skin, listless hair and no energy.

I mean, it sucks that the media only represents one or two body types as attractive- willowy thin, curvy but no fat... but the reality is that a whole range of bodies get check outs. I think in terms of "attractive" the difference between 130 and 117 is minimal except in your own mind. If 117 is where you feel awesome and energetic and healthy then there ya go.

I think that the "fat" people that are treated poorly are the very obese, where it is apparent that the fat is hurting health. Thinking back to 300lb days- who wants a mate that is winded by a short walk and can't really move correctly, that has no energy etc. That doesn't send an image of "can have and care for a child". Just like a skeletal woman with no energy is not attractive.

That doesn't excuse the way fat women are treated, but you can't send out an image of being unhealthy and expect men to find you attractive. However- you don't need to be "thin" to be attractive-just a healthier weight. I'm 5'6, 184. I get checked out a lot. Men flirt with me. This did not happen at 300 or 250.... or even 220. But it happens now.... and my body looks and feels pretty healthy.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                            Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Also, depending on how long ago you were at 132 and 117, you may get the same energy results at the higher weight now. By this I mean- age counts, and your activity level, what you are feeding yourself, etc.
                              Were you just outrageously energetic because you were 18 years old? Or were you less energetic at 132 because you were eating lots of crap?
                              Go for 132, then pause there, and consider. Also, take pictures and look at them, because what we see in the mirror can be so distorted by our minds. Even better, scan your various pictures all to black and white- it makes it easier to be objective, rather than subjective. (Go, funny brain tricks!)

Comment

Working...
                              X