No announcement yet.

Guys, do ketones disable your penis?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not here. If anything it has put more lead in my pencil since I started eating Primal.

Tercio

Comment

I don't know about VLC, which has always worried me anyway, but it was my understanding that a high carb diet lowered testosterone.
      Durp.

Comment

Lol....I get half mast when the wind blows right (when on VLC). So I'm gonna go with no. You may proceed with suicidal thoughts now.
        Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-12-2012, 10:48 AM.

Comment

VLC for more than a few days makes me sad and grumpy. Sad and grumpy in the big head makes the little head sad and grumpy too

Dude, go eat some carbs!

Comment

VLC can lead to depressed thyroid over time, which lowers your body temperature, your energy level, and your libido. It's actually very common for people who have been in ketosis for any length of time to experience these symptoms to varying degrees. This forum is not the best place to look for this information because it is highly self-selected for VLC advocacy and tends to become an echo chamber for low-carb talking points. If you google around on non-low-carb sites you will find this talked about frequently.

Rita, some people claim that low-carb high-fat increases T, some people claim starch increases T. Bodybuilders usually eat tons of starch.

Personally I think most people need plenty of all of the above for optimal function, and cutting out a macronutrient class is misguided.
            Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Yes yes and the LC boogey man will come to your house in the night to steal your children and light all your belongings aflame!

There are MANY MORE factors than simply carbohydrate to consider when your discussing optimal thyroid, body temp, or libido for that matter. So I do agree, please do look around. Cause "statements" are just that. They are not fact.

Comment

at first the ketosis thing was great! full-on inuit mode.

worked great until it didn't. by the end (about 8 months), i had no energy, was losing strength, and got a boner once a week.

my sperm and libido happen to love eggs, seafood, fruit and sweet potatoes. each individual sperm thanks me for consuming them.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerseyjim View Post
                  VLC for more than a few days makes me sad and grumpy. Sad and grumpy in the big head makes the little head sad and grumpy too

Dude, go eat some carbs!
                  Jerseyjim, love your avatar: lol'd
                  "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
                  "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
                  "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
                    each individual sperm thanks me for consuming them.

Ummm, I don't believe I'da said that.

Comment

Thought the same thing, tmi.
                      Aha, not something I'd publically admit.

Comment

It's a bit worrying when people see this as a permanent VLC diet. A lot of the time you see people asking why they having issues on the diet they post their menu's and they basically consist of meat, eggs and some veges/salad/berries, which is basically Atkins induction level ketosis. The side effects of ketogenic diets I thought were pretty well known.

Comment

Originally posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
                          It's a bit worrying when people see this as a permanent VLC diet. A lot of the time you see people asking why they having issues on the diet they post their menu's and they basically consist of meat, eggs and some veges/salad/berries, which is basically Atkins induction level ketosis. The side effects of ketogenic diets I thought were pretty well known.
                          For some people, it is VLC either from a dogmatic viewpoint of paleo being primal or they get positive results from VLC & try to extend ketosis indefinitely. If that works for them, fine. If it doesn't they will either shift more to a balanced approach or they might bail out. 3rd option, continue soldiering on, white knuckling it.

I personally like to check back into an Atkins type ketosis, for a week or two, maybe twice a year. Sorta like primitive man who had little choice of feast or famine, I like to vary things calorically. Resets my clock. Because I can. And because I don't exercise like when I was 26 or 36. And I have a fridge & a pantry & a Whole Foods 12 minute walk from my front door, & I don't have to work very hard for the calories I buy & consume.

Comment

There was an effect during the transition to low carb, but it didn't last.

Now, 10-12 weeks in, everything is back to normal.

...and with a significant weight loss and muscle gain, I've noticed a change in how women react to me. It probably doesn't hurt that I've lost the carb-induced mood swings, as well.

Comment

Yeah. I'm one of the ones who outstayed my ketosis visit. Those that do that usually end up salvaged over at Matt stones blog. It was good at first besides a few issues but got progressively worse.
                              I have to laugh every time I hear Jimmy moores quote "Find a plan that works for you and stick to it no matter what". That doesn't always turn out too well for vegans of keto dieters. lol

Comment

Cutting grains was the best thing I ever did, high protein, high fat, lots of veg best way to go. Grains are a killer imho.
                                Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                                PS
                                Don't forget to play!

Comment

Working...
                                X