How do you view/deal-with *cheats*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
    Not sure how much weight shifting you are talking about, but if it is getting to a yo-yo level you are setting yourself up for problems later on.
    Only a few pounds. It's pretty hard to keep a perfect homeostasis.

Comment

Originally posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
      Only a few pounds. It's pretty hard to keep a perfect homeostasis.
      I can go up and down a pound or two one day to next, but over the long term I keep an easy weight balance by keeping primal. I would have thought at your age actual fat swings shouldn't be occurring.
      Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
      PS
      Don't forget to play!

Comment

Not exactly fat swings, it's just not very practical to maintain a very low bf% year round.

Comment

Fair enough that was not how you made it sound in your first post.
          PS
          Don't forget to play!

Comment

I hold my breath when I walk by fast food outlets --- and I cannot walk through a 'food court' in a mall -- makes me want to puke.
            ----------------------------------------
            F, 48, 5'10"
            Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
            Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Comment

I know in a different thread someone's colleagues complained when he was eating fish, seems much more reasonable to complain when people are eating fast food and ready meals.
              PS
              Don't forget to play!

Comment

I'm 25, I go out and drink time to time, I love BBQ's, I'm on the same page a - PrimalRob -
                I eat primal everyday, but when I'm craving pizza I'll eat pizza, where the intervention comes in for me is....when did I eat that pizza? A week ago? I'll pass on the nachos guys...and then time goes on, before I realize it it's been 3-4 weeks and maybe I'll get a burger or something. For example I had Mexican last week (slamin burrito and tamal) and my birthday is aug 12th...so I'm going tI eat clean until the 12th....then I will have a sausage biscuit with eggs and cheese, pizza, burgers w/ buns, lots of hot dogs, s'mores, ice cream, chips and dip, and close to 20 beers...then the next morning I will fast till 1-2 and go for a walk and eat a big ass salad...and grok on after that

Comment

I guess my questions is "Why?" Why do primal and then go on these binges? Are you eating primal to regulate your weight or do you believe in eating clean? What's the deal?
                  ----------------------------------------
                  F, 48, 5'10"
                  Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
                  Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Comment

Originally posted by Louisa655 View Post
                    I guess my questions is "Why?" Why do primal and then go on these binges? Are you eating primal to regulate your weight or do you believe in eating clean? What's the deal?
                    +1

80/20 is not about binges but doing the best you can and sweating a night out with friends - don't plan to cheat but if life throws a curve ball deal with it.
                    PS
                    Don't forget to play!

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman View Post
                      I'm 25, I go out and drink time to time, I love BBQ's, I'm on the same page a - PrimalRob -
                      I eat primal everyday, but when I'm craving pizza I'll eat pizza, where the intervention comes in for me is....when did I eat that pizza? A week ago? I'll pass on the nachos guys...and then time goes on, before I realize it it's been 3-4 weeks and maybe I'll get a burger or something. For example I had Mexican last week (slamin burrito and tamal) and my birthday is aug 12th...so I'm going tI eat clean until the 12th....then I will have a sausage biscuit with eggs and cheese, pizza, burgers w/ buns, lots of hot dogs, s'mores, ice cream, chips and dip, and close to 20 beers...then the next morning I will fast till 1-2 and go for a walk and eat a big ass salad...and grok on after that
                      That's pretty much what my partner & I did for our birthday week last week. I actually was looking forward to re-grokking by the end of the week....
                      Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                        <snip>...

What i see the most here is that the people who go down the slippery slope of cheating more and more often really restrict their consumption of good primal foods. A lot of the time "i don't eat fruit, avoid nuts".................. And binged on chips and dip all weekend. It's not cheating or bad to have a banana when you want one. I know a few people have issues, metabolically, but if you want something sweet and keep denying it, that's when you end up face first in a cheesecake. I had that problem with low fat. I wanted fat, kept denying a few egg yolks or some olive oil and ended up with a fudge brownie sundae. Now i eat the egg yolks, with some butter eating what- 300 calories of whole foods that keeps me from wanting 1000 calories of fat and sugar.

As for pain, i think you need to try it out often and kind of cut ties. I really wanted a cupcake, so i had one and it was crappy so i abandoned the idea that i ever want to bother with it again. I think that is actually a beneficial process- to get far into primal and indulge a craving to show yourself what you aren't missing.
                        this!
                        FaceBook: PaleoMusings

We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

Comment

I believe in eating clean, but I also believe in making choices for myself. I'm 25 year old lifeguard and probably have about 10% bodyfat, I have been primal for about 6 months, and I love hot dog buns, nachos, and ice cream, I feel 0 negative effects when I eat those foods, but I think eating primal is really smart, and one day of eating foods that aren't primal that i really like, won't do ( and hasn't effected me) in the past, but that's me. Some people can't stop or control themselves or have different ideals of what it means to be part of a "lifestyle/diet" and that's great! I want everyone to be fit and healthy. I eat primal the very next day. I don't see it as a binge or "cheating" because I honestly don't feel like I'm cheating against anything, I know I will follow the primal way of eating for many years to come, I just see it as eating food I like.
                          Last edited by wolfman; 07-13-2012, 06:19 PM.

Comment

For me, life is about experiencing things. I want to experience new foods, crazy restaurants, and dinner at friends houses. I recently ate crispy fried spiced pig intestine. It was probably fried in horrible oil and coated with MSG and red food dye. It was absolutely the most disgusting thing I've ever eaten. But it was fun ordering, trying, and violently rejecting it with my friends.

Mostly primal, but fun adventurous eating works great for me.
                            Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

I totally agree. I know my birthday "binge" isn't primal, heck it's down right unhealthy ahahha but I find that eating the foods I crave time to time, in one day with no regrets, keeps me on track instead of sneaking their way in a day here or a day there. I look forward to it!

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman View Post
                                I have been primal for about 6 months, and I love hot dog buns, nachos, and ice cream, I feel 0 negative effects when I eat those foods
                                Wish I were you! Wheat, milk, and peanuts all affect me really badly now. I mean, I assume they did before too, but I didn't know it.

Some people can't stop or control themselves. I eat primal the very next day. I don't see it as a binge, I just see it as partying and eating food I like.
                                I just have to say that it's not always about self-control. Carb cravings are serious business for people with metabolic dysfunction. And most people who are overweight have metabolic dysfunction (it's why they are overweight). I just went through intense carb flu after cutting out the fruit I was eating occasionally. Fruit. Occasionally. That shit plateaued me for two months because my body is just too screwed up to handle it yet. As soon as I ate some fruit, my body switched right back to sugar-burning mode and told me to EAT MORE SUGAR, I'M STARVING, RED ALERT. This recent carb flu was so bad I couldn't even concentrate on anything because my brain was sending me explicit, sensual, full-body-experience visions of cutting cake with a fork, licking the frosting off doughnuts, taking a bite into a candy bar, 24 hours a day. I was craving sugary things I don't even like and have never liked just because my body thought it was starving.

So yeah, it's not really a matter of "Oh, I had cake yesterday and it was good, I guess I'll eat more today, and tomorrow, and the next day. YOLO, ROFL". It's a matter of literal starvation and emergency body alert systems blaring at you to EAT EAT EAT NOW BEFORE YOU DIE. Not so easy to control.

Just wanted to say something because it sounded like a standard "fatties ain't got willpower" message that I am so sick of hearing.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

Comment

Working...
                                X