Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you view/deal-with *cheats*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I think of it as feasting. You don't know how to feast until you know how to fast though. So mostly I eat in a disciplined manner, but at a friend's wedding I will eat the cake and if I'm invited to dinner I'm not going to worry about what's in the gravy. Sharing a meal with people is (at least should be) a communing with them and is not merely a gathering at the nutritional feed trough.

    Comment


    • #17
      I'm only a month and a half in, so I do still experiment/indulge/cheat sometimes. Sometimes I feel that the diet is pretty restrictive and I wonder, "If I eat this other food, will it really make a difference? Does it really matter?" So I'll eat it, and pay attention to my symptoms. Yesterday I ate 12 pieces of california roll sushi. O_O Well, later in the day I felt pretty depressed and demotivated (which is a symptom that PB has alleviated), and my workout that night felt super lame and weak, and I also got very light headed while doing some light, basic weights which hasn't happened before and I thought I would pass out. Is all that from the sushi? Maybe, maybe not, but I definitely noticed a difference. This morning I had gained 0.8 lbs.

      I'm at a point in my journey right now that if I do everything right, I lose or hold steady almost every single day. Strong downward trend on the weight. So when I cheat and it goes up, it's right away a confirmation that yes, that food does have negative consequences, and next time I want to eat it I go through a process of asking myself, "Would I rather have ____, or would I rather be thin/healthy/fit?" Turns out, I'm sick and tired of feeling fat and I'd rather be fit! I need to add to my questions, "Would I rather eat _____, or would I rather feel happy, motivated, and have energy?" It's a trap to think that eating certain foods will make me feel good. I associate them with positive feelings, but the reality is that some foods mess with my hormones and emotions, and can make me feel depressed, sluggish, irritable, unmotivated, and bleak. THAT is not worth it, to me!


      The one thing I consider an indulgence, instead of a cheat, is popcorn. Both times I've had popcorn, I continued to lose the same as usual. My mom is the same way. So, I don't have it often since it's supposed to be bad for me, but I don't kick myself if I have some because it doesn't have obvious negative results like rice, sugar, and bread do. (-:
      ~Mollie

      Started PB on Monday, June 4. I'm focusing on my health in 2012, including taking natural supplements, zumba and strength training, regular church attendance and studying the Bible, spending time with good friends, and reading more. I want to see what health milestones I can achieve this year!

      Starting body fat - 41%
      Starting weight - 170 lbs
      9/4 body fat - 33%
      9/4 weight - 150 lbs

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
        Oh, good grief, don't I know this!! Formerly clean, safe, simple items are now being adulterated by rice starch (for example) by the hundreds. Now for all you folks out there reading this, rice starch doesn't sound horrible - unless you have a totally grain-free kid...

        I am slowly getting pissed at the litany of x-rated ingredients. SCD kid comes up and asks if she can have such-and-such a food... I read the label, and then the recitation begins... nope, corn starch... nope, rice... nope, corn syrup... nope, wheat... nope, milk... nope, barley malt... And these are ingredients in things in places you wouldn't expect them.


        Like Eckrich meats. Every, single Eckrich meat I have ever read the label of has WHEY listed. Why is whey in kielbasa?!?! (CAFO objections aside for the moment)
        If you have a Whole Foods nearby they carry Wellshire Farms kielbasa, which is really good. Especially grilled. But yes, it's so incredibly frustrating, I can't imagine how hard it must be for a kid. Dextrose, caramel, maltodextrin are the worst offenders, and I see them in 'healthy' products. A little here and there might not hurt most people or maybe just make them feel a bit hungover but I'll end up with systemic inflammation, burning joints and skin, muscle spasms, chills and depression. It's ugly, so yeah, I don't cheat, but when I find something I can eat I enjoy it. I'm fortunate that milk isn't too much of an issue as long as I take it easy on the lactose.
        Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

        Comment


        • #19
          Seriously don't eat anything with a label on it. That fixes 99% of all problems. Since I have been eating mostly food that has no labels, I actually really do look forward to my food. I think that not only has my palette changed and my feelings of what is rewarding, but also there's a lack of anxiety when I'm in total control of the ingredients.

          Last night for dinner I made a mango salsa. Invented the ingredients for it myself: mango, cilantro, onion, red bell pepper, avocado and a little salt. Served it over pork chops. Side of sliced cold beets that I boiled up the other day and a small portion of sweet potato. A meal like this truly satisfies me. I eat like this for all my meals. I never feel deprived. I never feel anxious because nothing is out of my control. If I do eat something with a label or a few ingredients that I shouldn't have, it's not a big deal because 99% of the time everything I eat is perfectly healthy. I don't feel like I'm cheating if I have ice cream. I'm just having some ice cream. I do it so rarely that it's not even really a treat because damn, mango salsa is a bigger treat than ice cream ever could hope to be.
          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
            I am slowly getting pissed at the litany of x-rated ingredients. SCD kid comes up and asks if she can have such-and-such a food... I read the label, and then the recitation begins... nope, corn starch... nope, rice... nope, corn syrup... nope, wheat... nope, milk... nope, barley malt... And these are ingredients in things in places you wouldn't expect them.
            It's not easy by any means, but one thing that worked for me (and please keep in mind I've been a cook for better than 2 decades, both by profession and at home) but a few years back I adopted what I call *Single Ingredient Shopping*

            It's pretty much as simple as it sounds, if it has more than one ingredient, it doesn't go in the cart.

            There are rare exceptions to this rule: if the only other ingredients are salt and/or water; or if it is a simple fermented or pickled item (like sauerkraut) - and by simple I mean vinegar is like the only other ingredient; or if it is a specific specialty item I can't make on my own and still really want (like aged cheese) and is invariably a small quantity and/or rare purchase for a special occasion.

            I loved the thing I read the other day about a paleo guy (girl?) whose friend was bugging him to get this ap that lets you scan bar codes to get the nutrition information and s/he replied, *The food I eat doesn't come with bar codes.* That's pretty much my shopping cart. Cuts of raw meat, slabs of beef or pork fat, some ground meats, Seafood (fresh or frozen), fresh fruits, fresh veggies, single ingredient spices and herbs. Olive oil, vinegar, coconut oil, ghee.

            Most of my shopping happens around the perrimiter of the store with a few forays into the aisles for spices or nuts.

            Eating out I don't bother being so strict. I can't even imagine that nightmare with the limited things your kids can eat.

            I don't know if I could even hope to do paleo (or keep my vegetarian daughter on a whole food diet rather than the bageltofucheese express) if I wasn't confident in the kitchen.
            Last edited by brahnamin; 07-11-2012, 09:44 AM. Reason: to add bolded sentence about eating out

            Comment


            • #21
              I used to find it really hard to stick to primal because I thought I couldn't have carbs, so I wanted to cheat all the time but I now allow myself to eat carbs if they're from healthy sources and I actually have no desire to eat anything non-primal anymore. Also I tell myself that it's ok to eat unhealthily occasionally in social situations but I end up only cheating with alcohol (but that's also due to the fact that I don't like to eat around other people, so different story).

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                Seriously don't eat anything with a label on it. That fixes 99% of all problems. Since I have been eating mostly food that has no labels, I actually really do look forward to my food. I think that not only has my palette changed and my feelings of what is rewarding, but also there's a lack of anxiety when I'm in total control of the ingredients.

                Last night for dinner I made a mango salsa. Invented the ingredients for it myself: mango, cilantro, onion, red bell pepper, avocado and a little salt. Served it over pork chops. Side of sliced cold beets that I boiled up the other day and a small portion of sweet potato. A meal like this truly satisfies me. I eat like this for all my meals. I never feel deprived. I never feel anxious because nothing is out of my control. If I do eat something with a label or a few ingredients that I shouldn't have, it's not a big deal because 99% of the time everything I eat is perfectly healthy. I don't feel like I'm cheating if I have ice cream. I'm just having some ice cream. I do it so rarely that it's not even really a treat because damn, mango salsa is a bigger treat than ice cream ever could hope to be.
                Yeah, for me a homemade ground beef burger filled with cheese or mashed sweet potatoes with shallot is my favorite food. Better than ice cream. It's feels too good to be true that something so good is actually 100% healthy and is not a moderation food at all. But I still eat ice cream sometimes for variety and the idea that it's not as healthy makes it better somehow
                well then

                Comment


                • #23
                  My opinion is if you plan to cheat you plan to fail.

                  I will not plan a cheat day, or anything like that but if I am out and someone has brought homemade this or that, or at a b-day party I am not going to be rude and avoid the cake, I will take a small please/thank you portion. No fuss, no pressure.

                  I have also found many foods that I used to like taste like the stodge they are, so rather than a store bought dessert I will have something rich like dark chocolate or berries with heavy cream....yum.

                  The key is to make sure you don't start a cycle of cheats. Eat, live move on.
                  Last edited by Dirlot; 07-11-2012, 09:54 AM.
                  Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                  PS
                  Don't forget to play!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    If I do eat something with a label or a few ingredients that I shouldn't have, it's not a big deal because 99% of the time everything I eat is perfectly healthy.
                    That's how I feel. Like I feel eating a bag of oreos is my old idea of a cheat, and now I just wouldn't eat oreos unless I was going to die and they were my only prevention from starving. I feel like ice cream is my main non- primal food- and all it is:cream, milk, sugar, maybe fruit. I'm not that worried about a small amount of sugar stopping me.

                    Other stuff- pizza, cookies, bread etc. has no appeal anymore but I feel like if I hadn't eaten those items after a few months of primal eating, I might have not realized how much I really don't want them, not because they make me sick but because they don't taste as good as I remember. I've tried a bite or two of processed foods and just been...GROSS. This tastes bad. And I have had some cheats that were amazing- I had a coke last week. It was good. I never was a big soda drinker, but a few times a year a coke hits the spot. Totally junk, non-primal, bad for me... but really- this morning I had a fruit smoothie with greek yogurt, almond butter, and fruit. Lunch was tuna salad, home made. Dinner will be pork meat balls and veggies.

                    I do get bored with what I eat and am finding that cravings are a good key to what I am lacking. When i want sweets, a few days of smoothies or a little more fruit crushes them. If I want salty snacks- chips etc. , extra fat helps.

                    I think once I got used to primal eating, the biggest hurdle was social eating (having a cookie to be nice, having a drink to "fit in"). I've gotten past that finally.

                    http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
                      My opinion is if you plan to cheat you plan to fail.

                      I will not plan a cheat day, or anything like that but if I am out and someone has brought homemade this or that, or at a b-day party I am not going to be rude and avoid the cake, I will take a small please/thank you portion. No fuss, no pressure.

                      I have also found many foods that I used to like taste like the stodge they are, so rather than a store bought dessert I will have something rich like dark chocolate or berries with heavy cream....yum.

                      The key is to make sure you don't start a cycle of cheats. Eat, live move on.
                      Planning a cheat could also be beneficial for some people. Because for some people when they cheat unplanned their thinking will go like "Oh I ate this so now I can eat that". However if you plan to eat for example a bowl of ice cream and also plan to not eat anything else it might be easier to move on healthy immediately afterwards.
                      well then

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
                        Planning a cheat could also be beneficial for some people. Because for some people when they cheat unplanned their thinking will go like "Oh I ate this so now I can eat that". However if you plan to eat for example a bowl of ice cream and also plan to not eat anything else it might be easier to move on healthy immediately afterwards.
                        Ice cream is a grey area and tbh if I was going down to the beach in today's weather I might plan to get some ice-cream lol but I would make it a natural as possible with the fewest additives.

                        I see what you are saying and my comments were more for cheat days or regular cheats...plan to eat well for 6 days and on the 7th crash. The aim is 100% and if life gets in the way then don't stress it.
                        Last edited by Dirlot; 07-11-2012, 10:08 AM.
                        Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                        PS
                        Don't forget to play!

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
                          Ice cream is a grey area and tbh if I was going down to the beach in today's weather I might plan to get some ice-cream lol but I would make it a natural as possible with the fewest additives.

                          I see what you are saying and my comments were more for cheat days or regular cheats...plan to eat well for 6 days and on the 7th crash. The aim is 100% and if life gets in the way then don't stress it.
                          Yeah a standard weekly cheat day where you're looking forward to all week is not a good idea. However I think it's actually worse for the mind than for the body. You'll be dieting for the rest of your life and hate 6 days out of 7
                          well then

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                            Eating healthy paleo food is the default and once in a while there are other things eaten but that doesn't stop paleo from being my way of eating. Eating healthy is a deal I made for myself and with myself. I do not have to answer to anyone about my way of eating so there is no cheating. There can only be eating that supports my health and eating that doesn't.
                            Yes to this. And thank you for putting it so eloquently.
                            Sandra
                            *My obligatory intro

                            There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

                            DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                              Seriously don't eat anything with a label on it. That fixes 99% of all problems.
                              True, and this is mostly what I do as well, but some things will surprise you. Cream, for instance, sometimes has thickeners in it. You would think CREAM would mean cream, but alas . . . Same goes for sour cream. Vinegar, unless it's ACV, you need to know what it's made of.
                              Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                We are on a family vacation right now. "Glamping" by the lake. I planned and packed our food for the week, and we're really not eating that much differently than at home. All our usual meal foods are here, and if anything we are eating more elaborate primal (with a side of rice/potatoes) than at home. More steaks, bigger salads, fancier breakfasts.

                                And yes, along with that are the usual s'mores, hot dogs, booze, diet coke, koolaid, cookies and chips for those that want them. And yes, I've had a little of each when I felt like it. And I've had a little bloating and puffy ankles on the days I ate crap. (just confirmed that diet coke is one cause of edema) Worth it? Sure, why not. We're on vacation!!
                                Sandra
                                *My obligatory intro

                                There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

                                DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X