Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems feeling satisfied after a meal (several)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems feeling satisfied after a meal (several)

How are you,
    so I'm a little new to these threads, but there has been a question on my mind for a few months now. I started the primal lifestyle about seven months ago, I am not going to go into my whole story, but what I will say that after about 6 months I noticed that food was no longer satisfying my hunger, even after eating 1.5 pounds of beef and 4 eggs I wood still be hungry and feel as if I could continue eating. Now, it's not the big of a deal; the amount of food that I eat for my single meal of the day (yes I have tried eating 2 to 3 meals a day to see the difference) keeps me going with more than enough energy. I am just wondering if any one else had this similar kind of thing happen to them, and if so, how did you solve the feeling of dis-satisfaction?

Thanks

Are you eating enough vegetables? If all your eating is the beef and eggs, you're missing many nutrients.

Comment

Yes I am, I eat a good amount of broccoli, and usually mix in other vegetables when I cook. I eat fish probably once or twice a week as chicken. Thinking about it, I probably could eat more veggies than I do, butto answer the question i do eat a good amount of them already.

Comment

Well, it DOES take your body about twenty minutes to realize it is full which is why chewing completely and eating slowly can be beneficial in not overeating.

I sometimes feel the same way you do, but then I just sit for a few minutes and it eventually catches up with me.

I eat pretty much the same way you do myself. I eat once a day, usually dinner. Today's meal was... One pound of grass-fed ground beef, over a five-egg omlette, both the omlette and the ground beef seasoned with basil, oregano, garlic powder, and a little bit of chipotle powder. Veggies that were cooked along with the beef were 1/2 cup of broccoli and one very large jalapeno diced for flavor. Additional verggie was one cup of sauerkrat.

I'm not bragging by telling you this, but letting you know that other people do eat very similarly and have the same experience as you do. You might be much larger than I am though, so that could effect how much you need to be eating and what your diet should look like. Usually, it's best to trust your body's own signals.

I say, finish your meal, wait thrity minutes (so the signal of fullness can be achieved), and if you're still hungry, fuck it, there's probably a reason you are.

(Note: If you have any history of eating disorders AT ALL, I do not recomend eating only once a day, and it could easily explain your situation.)
        "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Yes i strongly agree. Eating vegetables is very important. Eating only meats will make you crash, can make you feel weak. Vegetables has plenty nutrients and vitamins that is helpful on your diet.

Comment

Mm, well I'm about 5;7ish and 160lbs, at least last time I check about 1.5 months ago. usually, even after finishing, and waiting 3 minutes, I just have the of, how can I explain it, not hungry, but not full, kind of like eating air... If that makes any sense.
            Usually, I eat around noon, about a pound to a pound in a half of beef, 4 eggs and lightly buttered broccoli. But the veggies change with whatever I have at the time. Some times I will go and get a chicken from our whole foods here, and even after eating one of their chickens I supplement with a little chocolate or something like that to feel as if I hadn't just eaten a hold bunch of air...

Comment

Three minutes? That's not enough time to let your body adjust to feeling full man. Give it at LEAST thirty minutes first, and then decide if you need more.

Fat satiates very well, so it also might be a matter of whether or not you are getting the right amount of fat for your own personal dietary needs.
              "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Sorry meant 30. Mk, the second thing you said makes a lot of sense, i do try to shy a way from things that have too much fat so that's a possibility.

Comment

maybe you need more fat? Did you read the blog post today regarding protein intake? Some people dont do well with excessive protein and it can cause more cravings...sort of. The chocolate is probably high in fat to help satiate you. Also, if you are female (?), I have endless hunger feelings often in the week before my period.
                  Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
                  http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

Sounds like a deficiency of some kind. Whether it's total calories or not is hard to know.
                    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                    bloodorchid is always right

Comment

I have noticed that eating clean, primal foods like meat and veggies leaves me not feeling "stuffed" even if I eat lots of it. I may or may not feel still hungry, but I rarely feel grossed-out full. I have noticed that I feel hungrier since I lost 25lbs. I don't know if that is because I have less fat on my body and that's what does it, or if it's my fat wanting to come back that is screaming "feed me!" or if it's because I have more muscle than I used to and thus need to eat more because I'm burning more. Could be all of those things.
                      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Well, I could say yes and no to that. I'm a Male btw. Though the cravings thing is kind of interesting. I do tend to grave dark chocolate a lot. I did read the post today which is why I posted to get a little bit more advice. I don't really eat to much fat on my meet because, idk, it just taste weird as I'm chewing it. Whenever I get a smaller piece it is easier to eat, but bigger one's I tend to stay away from.
                        Last edited by Kylex286; 07-09-2012, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                          I have noticed that eating clean, primal foods like meat and veggies leaves me not feeling "stuffed" even if I eat lots of it. I may or may not feel still hungry, but I rarely feel grossed-out full. I have noticed that I feel hungrier since I lost 25lbs. I don't know if that is because I have less fat on my body and that's what does it, or if it's my fat wanting to come back that is screaming "feed me!" or if it's because I have more muscle than I used to and thus need to eat more because I'm burning more. Could be all of those things.
                          I've lost close between 50 and 60. Last lime I checked it was 50, and even then I was eating more than I did before starting. I still do now. I never feel hungry hungry, I can easily go 24-25 hours without feeling sluggish or foggy. I still have an incredible amount of energy, wake up and sleep regularly, and have been gaining muscle with little to no heavy lifting. I can nearly pull my friends 40lb bow. idk, I was just getting a little worried on whether or not I should be concerned.

Comment

If your diet is mostly muscle meat and veggies you may want to consider adding in the "rest" of the animal and some seafood. Liver, bone broths, bone marrow are all filled with nutrients at a density and variety much greater than muscle meat. Starting a meal with a nice rich homemade chicken stock with butter, sweet potatoes, sea salt, and tarragon leaves me really satisfied.

You could also consider adding oysters, brazil nuts, kelp, etc for micronutrients you may be missing.

Finally, if you have been low carb for a long time, it may be helpful to add in some more primal carbs. Fruit, sweet potatoes, squash, etc may help you feel more satisfied with your meals.
                            Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
                              If your diet is mostly muscle meat and veggies you may want to consider adding in the "rest" of the animal and some seafood. Liver, bone broths, bone marrow are all filled with nutrients at a density and variety much greater than muscle meat. Starting a meal with a nice rich homemade chicken stock with butter, sweet potatoes, sea salt, and tarragon leaves me really satisfied.

You could also consider adding oysters, brazil nuts, kelp, etc for micronutrients you may be missing.

Finally, if you have been low carb for a long time, it may be helpful to add in some more primal carbs. Fruit, sweet potatoes, squash, etc may help you feel more satisfied with your meals.
                              Well, I have been thinking of changing to more of a seafood way of eating, considering that I am going to be spending a year in Japan starting this fall I was thinking it would be a good Idea. but thanks for your input, I will look into inplementing some changes next time I go shopping.

Comment

Working...
                              X