Looking for the perfect sausage..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Artichoke View Post
    Guys, if yours looks like a sausage that's sad..
    Better than looking like hamburger, I suppose...

Comment

I got your perfect sausage right here. It's in my refrigerator, a nice chorizo sausage from the Mexican meat market that goes great with eggs and soups.

Comment

Originally posted by Artichoke View Post
        I live in a town so getting hold of stuff to make my own sausages is a bit difficult. I imagine they taste awesome though.
        Hey, Artichoke.

I was just thinking about your quote above, and got to thinking that you might not know what we Americans mean by a certain form of sausage. So, I thought I would explain:

"bulk sausage" is sausage without any kind of casing. It looks like a mound of hamburger meat/ground beef. The color is always some variety of deep red-to-light pink, depending on whether you make it out of ground chicken, turkey, pork, beef, or other animal flesh; and whether you have added spices like paprika that color foods.

Sometimes the texture in bulk sausage is a bit more chunky and sometimes a bit more sand-grain-like, depending on who ground the muscle/fat mixture, but it is never paste-smooth.

All you really need is a way to grind the fat and the muscle - that can be a suction-cup hand grinder, a Kitchen-Aid mixer, a huge dedicated grinder (yours of somebody else's)...

We use this to hand-form patties or little logs and pan-fry, mix into meatloaf mix (which I do), chop at it a lot in the saute pan so it makes crumbles (pour some beaten egg over it and make a sausage fritatta), stuff it into veggies, drop the crumbles into soup... endless.

In any town, if you can source meat, you have got yourself homemade bulk sausage. Most of us over here are just used to buying it from the meat counter or refrigerated meat section of our local stores.
        I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Crabbcakes wow thank you so much, that's really helpful. I saw a counter-mountable steel mincer in a charity shop I will have a look to see if it's still there !

Comment

One tip, though it might be different with different equipment, is that sausage here tends to be double-ground, v hamburger, which is ground once.

Comment

Originally posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
              I got your perfect sausage right here. *snip*
              If I had a dollar for everytime I'd heard that......
              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

From what the ladies on this board have been saying, if it's snipped, it's not the perfect sausage.

Comment

Originally posted by figlio di moros View Post
                  from what the ladies on this board have been saying, if it's snipped, it's not the perfect sausage.
                  l m a o!
                  I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Working...
                  X