Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else tired of hearing about the latest paleo frankenfoods?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, yeah. Born and raised foodie. The only change I made going primal was cutting out the whole grains I thought i was supposed to be eating. Never did eat junk. I know better now about a few things like soy, but, at the time I was eating it, that was the cutting edge of healthfulness.

And my coconut flour, chocolate zucchini muffins were not at all "weird", they were delicious.

I agree with Choco about huge amounts of nut flours not being a good idea on a regular basis but even the PUFA police couldn't find anything wrong with my muffins. And they made my newly Primal Dad happy.

Comment

• Primal blueberry or cherry cheescake?, haha. Now there is a comfort food from my childhood. I imagine the high amount of sugar would be the no-no in that classic recipe. Any ideas?
      "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
      "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
      "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

• Here ya go, Betorq

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread15890.html

Comment

• Robin, you just keep finding more tasty ways to use up those bumper crop zucchinis from your neighbor!

I've actually had organic chocolate zuke muffins before, they were.... odd but ultimately good. It took me a few of them over the course of a couple of days, to come to terms with the 2 familiar flavors comingling in my mouth w/ every bite.

Chocolate covered zukes, there I simplified the recipe. Your house or mine? Oh Gawd, maybe I AM food obsessed, ha.

Comment

• Originally posted by Betorq View Post
            Robin, you just keep finding more tasty ways to use up those bumper crop zucchinis from your neighbor!

Chocolate covered zukes, there I simplified the recipe. Your house or mine? Oh Gawd, maybe I AM food obsessed, ha.
            I made a big batch of zucchini chips in the dehydrator. I bet they would be awesome dipped in dark chocolate. Oooh, you bring out my evil side.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
              Damn, now you've done it! And I was about to do a week of VLC ketosis with my mom, solidarity with her and all...

Ah well, it can a celebratory party item for my mom when she drops her 1st 20 lbs, which would be a milestone for her, the former yo-yo dieter, who years ago stopped yo-yo'ing & just basically permanently fattened up & has been in a state of despair & surrender to her weight & body. I'll just have to make a mini-cheesecake so there's no chance of a pig-out, haha.

Comment

• Paleobird I bet your muffins were tasty. By weird I mean rock hard tasteless cookies. Cutting out whole grains was the biggest change for us, I used to make wild yeast sourdough bread weekly. I actually don't even miss it. I will take meat over bread any day.

I made a cheesecake a while ago with a walnut/coconut flour crust, for the filling I used a Joy of Cooking recipe and just substituted honey. The cheesecake had a sour cream topping which I love, we served it with fresh strawberries. I think fresh blueberries would be great and if you want them sweeter just add a little honey.
                Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                  Paleobird I bet your muffins were tasty. By weird I mean rock hard tasteless cookies. Cutting out whole grains was the biggest change for us, I used to make wild yeast sourdough bread weekly. I actually don't even miss it. I will take meat over bread any day.

I made a cheesecake a while ago with a walnut/coconut flour crust, for the filling I used a Joy of Cooking recipe and just substituted honey. The cheesecake had a sour cream topping which I love, we served it with fresh strawberries. I think fresh blueberries would be great and if you want them sweeter just add a little honey.
                  My Mom used to make that cheesecake when I was a kid for special occasions. I'll have to dig out her old recipe books. I hardly ever use sweeteners at all. Maybe just some berries and cocoa powder mixed in would work.

See, this starts out as a thread all about the evils of faileo substitutes and becomes a recipe thread. O-o

Comment

• the thing with subbing in these primal imitations of regular food is that they completely contradict the point of going paleo/primal in the first place - food is not something that is supposed to be "comforting", fun, etc., it is meant to be nourishment for your body and mind. sustainance.
                    and you shouldn't feel like you are "missing out" on eating the foods you have given up because in that case you are still thinking of food in the wrong way. in my mind, the whole "point", I guess, of going primal is to stop thinking about food, period. learn to make the choices that best help your body thrive through the day and that's it. no daydreaming about food, no obsessing over whether something is primal or not, or "cheating", or concocting ways to "primalise" SAD meals.
                    it's kind of difficult to sum up what i'm trying to say, exactly, but that's what I've got
                    I wish I could just eat food to fuel my body. I have noticed that most people with that mentality have AMAZING bodies. But I dunno, I enjoy cooking. It's fun. I like when things taste good.

I don't think that Primal is about making food just "nourishment"- I think enjoyment of food is a pretty big cornerstone of the plan. I think any WOE that strips the pleasure from food won't work. Well, my dad had that- a feeding tube. It caused him great depression over time.

Like a lot of people, I'm a foodie.... I get cooking magazines and cook books. I've spent a lot of time learning to cook and the idea of just sauting some greens and grilling a steak for the rest of my life sucks. However, making up new primal recipes is really fun- new combinations, finding what works to replace pastas, coming up with new ideas. I enjoy the experimentation and tinkering of cooking, much like some people enjoy gardening or fixing up cars. And baking is a unique branch of cooking that I really miss. I was a great baker and there is a lot of satisfaction in that process that I don't get from making a tasty new salad or some yummy meatballs.

The "good thing" is I don't have time to bake now, but I know come fall and winter, I'll want to churn out some baked goods.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

• Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                      I wish I could just eat food to fuel my body. I have noticed that most people with that mentality have AMAZING bodies. But I dunno, I enjoy cooking. It's fun. I like when things taste good.

I don't think that Primal is about making food just "nourishment"- I think enjoyment of food is a pretty big cornerstone of the plan. I think any WOE that strips the pleasure from food won't work. Well, my dad had that- a feeding tube. It caused him great depression over time.

Like a lot of people, I'm a foodie.... I get cooking magazines and cook books. I've spent a lot of time learning to cook and the idea of just sauting some greens and grilling a steak for the rest of my life sucks. However, making up new primal recipes is really fun- new combinations, finding what works to replace pastas, coming up with new ideas. I enjoy the experimentation and tinkering of cooking, much like some people enjoy gardening or fixing up cars. And baking is a unique branch of cooking that I really miss. I was a great baker and there is a lot of satisfaction in that process that I don't get from making a tasty new salad or some yummy meatballs.

The "good thing" is I don't have time to bake now, but I know come fall and winter, I'll want to churn out some baked goods.
                      I couldn't agree more! It's kind of like saying sex is for reproduction. Although on occasion I will eat something just because I need to (like a can of sardines) I could never look at food as just a nutritional necessity. It would depress the hell out of me.

I don't try and come up with paleo foods to take the place of SAD ( I never ate that way any way), instead I get excited about focusing on all the amazing things one can do with paleo foods as they are. I really do not find it limiting. It could be because I've never been that into sweets.

For my husband it's not the case, he loves sweets, it's been hard for him to give them up. I could easily whip up yummy paleo treats for him but I am not going to as he is really trying to not eat anything sweet.

As for the word cheat I hate it and indulgence doesn't really work for me either. "Indulgence" sounds like something super good, which may apply to ice cream (depending on how good it is) but doesn't really work for rice. For now if we eat something like ice cream or rice we just call it non-paleo.
                      Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• I don't think it has to be A or B. I think it is possible to both view food as fuel and respect/enjoy it for that fact.
                        Depression Lies

Comment

• My site (should be) is in my signature. I should have it up this weekend, hopefully. Thinking about it.
                          The Sedition of Sisyphus: Go Find Another Rock

Griff's Cholesterol Primer

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                            I couldn't agree more! It's kind of like saying sex is for reproduction. Although on occasion I will eat something just because I need to (like a can of sardines) I could never look at food as just a nutritional necessity. It would depress the hell out of me.

I don't try and come up with paleo foods to take the place of SAD ( I never ate that way any way), instead I get excited about focusing on all the amazing things one can do with paleo foods as they are. I really do not find it limiting. It could be because I've never been that into sweets.

For my husband it's not the case, he loves sweets, it's been hard for him to give them up. I could easily whip up yummy paleo treats for him but I am not going to as he is really trying to not eat anything sweet.

As for the word cheat I hate it and indulgence doesn't really work for me either. "Indulgence" sounds like something super good, which may apply to ice cream (depending on how good it is) but doesn't really work for rice. For now if we eat something like ice cream or rice we just call it non-paleo.
                            I like the word "indulgence" because it is something planned and out in the open. "Cheating" implies something nasty and furtive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
                              Maybe because you can't fit a bottle of iodine in a multi.
                              Hey, I *like* the Iodine thread... when Grizz isn't being an ass about YOU MUST TAKE THE REQUIRED SUPPLEMENT and THERE'S A SECRET SOCIETY IN MED SCHOOL THAT TELLS DOCTORS TO ACTIVELY RECOMMEND AGAINST IODINE!!!

While I think that the conspiracy theory is silly on the doctor level, I could see it being an issue high up in Big Pharma. Haven't we seen the same thing when Big Ag attacked William Davis for Wheat Belly? I don't want to discount it entirely.

My contribution to the thread is some n=1 trials on mole removal (yeah I know, TMI). It seems to be working, but in fits and starts. I don't think I'll ever go up to the megamilligram dosages, and I like the idea of kombu kelp more than tablets.

However, I am ALL in favor of experimenting with iodine to treat reproductive diseases like breast cancer or endometriosis or enlarged prostate, especially since there already are preliminary results. Look, if you have a serious disease anyway, why NOT try something new? Would you rather take a chance at curing a painful disease you already have, or avoid it because it might cause something later?

After all, isn't that what we're doing here right on MDA? Traditional medicine says we're all OD'ing on saturated fat. Sure, *we* think differently, but we're in a tiny minority. It only *seems* like there are a lot of us because we're all hanging out here all the time.

(and to be honest, I think you guys are secretly hoping, deep down, that the ball painting actually works).
                              Last edited by oxide; 07-13-2012, 04:14 PM.
                              5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

• it's not that i don't deep down hope it works, it's just that i don't like the mental image of a man fondling and painting his balls
                                beautiful
                                yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                                lol

Comment

Working...
                                X