Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else tired of hearing about the latest paleo frankenfoods?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like Vibram KSOs for walking in the creek but other than that I wear sneakers or flip flops.
    Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

• the thing with subbing in these primal imitations of regular food is that they completely contradict the point of going paleo/primal in the first place - food is not something that is supposed to be "comforting", fun, etc., it is meant to be nourishment for your body and mind. sustainance.
      and you shouldn't feel like you are "missing out" on eating the foods you have given up because in that case you are still thinking of food in the wrong way. in my mind, the whole "point", I guess, of going primal is to stop thinking about food, period. learn to make the choices that best help your body thrive through the day and that's it. no daydreaming about food, no obsessing over whether something is primal or not, or "cheating", or concocting ways to "primalise" SAD meals.
      it's kind of difficult to sum up what i'm trying to say, exactly, but that's what I've got
      it does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live

at just the right time, we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don't give up

Comment

• Originally posted by Betorq View Post
        Vibrams seem contrived, expensive & 'trendy' to me.
        They are. But I need them because my gym gets picky about being actually barefoot when I lift there. Also I don't want my feet cut up by the glass and sharp gravel on the road when I go for a run.
        My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
          Cauliflower rice is actually really delicious. If I had known about that substitution back before I went paleo I think I would have made it back then. It makes meals that normally use rice so much better. Lighter, easier to digest, easier on my stomach.
          This.

I love grated cauliflower as a substitute for rice. Though when I first tried it it was a bloody nuisance the way the cauliflower falls all to pieces while you grate it (yup, I was grating head-first). Now what I do is buy a bunch of whole heads (particularly if it's on sale), break off the florettes to go into a ziplock bag for storage and I just grate the leftover stalks into *rice* . . .

Mashed cauliflower never did much for me, but using grated cauliflower as a base for meat and veggie dishes is awesome.

Comment

• Well ok, folks. I conceed. Vibrams are kinda cool & definitely a superior alternative. Of course, avoiding glass & sharp gravel on a barefoot or semi-barefoot run is just common sense on a run.

Personally I use cheapo $4 tai chi shoes around town. Thin heels, loose cotton fabric. To hell w/ arch or heel support. Unless I need to run across the street in a cross walk coz I'm jay walking or the "Go walk" light turned to an "X", I don't run on hard surfaces anymore (disc injuries), except when I can barefoot run on a forgiving sandy beach.
            Oh that reminds me: in Hawaii, I used to walk all around, & swim in those neoprene beach shoes they sell in all the grocery & drug stores in Hawaii. Those were glove like & affordable. So much sharp lava rock & coral on the Big Island, they are pretty much a necessity of the Big I.
            "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
            "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
            "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by brahnamin View Post
              This.

I love grated cauliflower as a substitute for rice. Though when I first tried it it was a bloody nuisance the way the cauliflower falls all to pieces while you grate it (yup, I was grating head-first). Now what I do is buy a bunch of whole heads (particularly if it's on sale), break off the florettes to go into a ziplock bag for storage and I just grate the leftover stalks into *rice* . . .

Mashed cauliflower never did much for me, but using grated cauliflower as a base for meat and veggie dishes is awesome.
              You ever try mashed turnips? Prepared just like mashed potatos(load em up with butter) they are great. Some people hate turnips' flavor, I have always savored them since I was a kid & now it's a favorite Thanksgiving dish I use in place of mashed spuds.

Comment

• Originally posted by jesssa View Post
                the thing with subbing in these primal imitations of regular food is that they completely contradict the point of going paleo/primal in the first place - food is not something that is supposed to be "comforting", fun, etc., it is meant to be nourishment for your body and mind. sustainance.
                and you shouldn't feel like you are "missing out" on eating the foods you have given up because in that case you are still thinking of food in the wrong way. in my mind, the whole "point", I guess, of going primal is to stop thinking about food, period. learn to make the choices that best help your body thrive through the day and that's it. no daydreaming about food, no obsessing over whether something is primal or not, or "cheating", or concocting ways to "primalise" SAD meals.
                it's kind of difficult to sum up what i'm trying to say, exactly, but that's what I've got
                Jesssa -- I have a blog post gearing up about this. I feel similarly. I don't mind baking now and then. It's fun, you can use up some raw honey, and when you are attending a family gathering and everyone wants you to bring dessert, voila. But doing this sugar detox I've been on has really straightened out my head about things, and over the last few months, I've taken a new look at how I view food. And you nail it in this post. Thank you. Back to writing the blog post...
                The Sedition of Sisyphus: Go Find Another Rock

Griff's Cholesterol Primer

Comment

• I actually LOVE turnips. I think they taste earthy, but I've never had them mashed. Do you boil them? how do you treat them?

Thanks!

@ciavyn

I'd be interested in reading that, as when I fell into my super black depression again, I started using food for comfort again. And I need to stop that.
                  Down from 275 to 250!
                  Werewolf Primal Living Blog - http://lycanthropology.com
                  Some fact, a lot of fiction! Keep track of my progress there!

Comment

• While I'm not espousing eating as purely a form of entertainment, at the same time, there's nothing wrong w/ savoring something tasty or answering a true craving & enjoying that fatty meat or perfect guacamole. Yes, enjoyment, I dare say.

I enjoy cooking (a former caterer/chef in decades past). I still enjoy discovering or creating a tasty,healthy new dish. Part of PB lifestyle is PLAY & having fun. Is it wrong that I find cooking & eating healthy, tasty food? Or that I enjoy sharing that tasty, healthy food w/ those around me?

I come from a cultural background that is heavily obsessed w/ food. That is likely not going to completely disappear from my imprint, though I am far from obsessed LIKE I USED TO BE. I came to primal not coz I have food allergies nor was I ill, nor needed to lose weight. I came here to optimize & maintain my health & longevity & HAVE SOME FUN : MDA APPEARED TO BE FUN. Pleasure is an integral part of my health plan. It's not all of it, but its part of it.

Food is pleasure some of the time. Other times its a hassle to shop, pay for, prepare, eat & clean up after. Maybe some of you identify with the food polarity I mention.

The occasional comfort food made to more conform to primal, is not a bad thing for me, it helps to break the monotany from eating a lot of the same stuff over time.

I'm not talking fake foods. Fav food I eat & enjoy lately: primal meatloaf. Big whoop.
                    And very occasionally I make primal desserts, maybe fruit sweetened or with, god forbid, stevia. Again, big whoop.
                    My Meatza disclaimer: "No one was harmed in this reenactment of pizza making & consumption." A rare but deeply satisfying experience.

But mostly I eat pretty simply, as it's fast & healthy & I don't need or want to make complicated meals when I'm just feeding myself. But yes, sometimes I experience ennui & a change up is helpful.

Comment

• Originally posted by Westly View Post
                      I actually LOVE turnips. I think they taste earthy, but I've never had them mashed. Do you boil them? how do you treat them? Thanks!

@ciavyn, I'd be interested in reading that, as when I fell into my super black depression again, I started using food for comfort again. And I need to stop that.
                      Yes, cut up & boil the turnips in filtered water. Mash up w/ liberal butter, salt,pepper to taste. Let it set & firm up a bit & dive in. Excellent w/ any juicy red meat.

If emotional eating is a habit, ie it gets in the way of feeling the feelings , or it leads one back to unhealthy indulgences & guilt feelings after said indulgences. Thats definitely a bad dynamic in my opinion & experience. However, foods can also be used for a much needed endorphin effect. Healthy organic, low or no fat chocolate is fine mood food. So is an occassional huge bloody steak.

I forget the source or the exact statistic, but menstruating women eat loads more chocolate around & during that time of the month, than at the other times of the month. Sadly, "normal" store bought chocolate is crap, but the nibs or whole beans, or minimally sugared dark bars are fine, even good for many if there's no food addictions or allergies. Primal is not a prison sentence for me, it has to be doable, sustainable & yes it has to be fun & outright enjoyable some of the time.
                      Last edited by Betorq; 07-12-2012, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Yes, cut up & boil the turnips in filtered water. Mash up w/ liberal butter, salt,pepper to taste. Let it set & firm up a bit & dive in. Excellent w/ any juicy red meat.

If emotional eating is a habit, ie it gets in the way of feeling the feelings , or it leads one back to unhealthy indulgences & guilt feelings after said indulgences. Thats definitely a bad dynamic in my opinion & experience. However, foods can also be used for a much needed endorphin effect. Healthy organic, low or no fat chocolate is fine mood food. So is an occassional huge bloody steak.

I forget the source or the exact statistic, but menstruating women eat loads more chocolate around & during that time of the month, than at the other times of the month. Sadly, "normal" store bought chocolate is crap, but the nibs or whole beans, or minimally sugared dark bars are fine, even good for many if there's no . Primal is not a prison sentence for me, it has to be doable, sustainable & yes it has to be fun & outright enjoyable some of the time.
                        Sounds yummy. I make steamed and mashed parsnips that are awesome with butter and nutmeg. It's nice to have things like this to serve especially when non-Primal people are at the table.

I agree that it should be fun. I really think the people who get into trouble with too many "faileo" substitutes are people who have an attachment to food that goes beyond nourishment and taste into the emotional realm. JMO.

Comment

• Yeh, I've had the mashed parsnips too. As much as I enjoy parsnips in any form, there is something I can't explain about mashed turnips, stinky as they are, lol, that I just really connect with. A past life maybe... hehe.

All this talking about ...food ... and @ 7pm, uh I'll be back later

Comment

• I know this isn't a recipe thread but just to follow on: Am definitely going to try the mashed turnips, I usually roast/bake them. Another good mix is carrots and parsnips steamed and mashed together with butter.

In SAD (Australian) times my baking was quite sought after and I still like experimenting with new recipes. Not nearly as often as I did but occasionally. It keeps me onside with non Primal family members and that is more important to me than totally avoiding faleo recipes.
                            Last edited by kahiba; 07-12-2012, 04:17 PM. Reason: alter phrasing
                            Original Goal: To lose weight. Achieved in March 2010
                            Long Term Goals: To continue using Primal guidlines to improve fitness and health. To share the Primal message.

The key to successful aging is to pay as little attention to it as possible - Judith Regan

Comment

• Originally posted by jesssa View Post
                              the thing with subbing in these primal imitations of regular food is that they completely contradict the point of going paleo/primal in the first place - food is not something that is supposed to be "comforting", fun, etc., it is meant to be nourishment for your body and mind. sustainance.
                              Yeah, that makes sense. That's kind of my gripe about all the smoothies and yogurt, too. I consider that stuff to be kind of primal adult baby food. I suppose on a really hot day a smoothie hits the spot, but if you are basing your whole primal diet on smoothies and yogurt and franken-primal pastries and stuff that "tastes yummy" you're just kinda being a big adult baby.
                              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I enjoy cooking (a former caterer/chef in decades past). I still enjoy discovering or creating a tasty,healthy new dish. Part of PB lifestyle is PLAY & having fun. Is it wrong that I find cooking & eating healthy, tasty food? Or that I enjoy sharing that tasty, healthy food w/ those around me?

I come from a cultural background that is heavily obsessed w/ food. That is likely not going to completely disappear from my imprint, though I am far from obsessed LIKE I USED TO BE. I came to primal not coz I have food allergies nor was I ill, nor needed to lose weight. I came here to optimize & maintain my health & longevity & HAVE SOME FUN : MDA APPEARED TO BE FUN. Pleasure is an integral part of my health plan. It's not all of it, but its part of it.
                                Just wanted to say Hi, I too am a former chef/caterer and came to eat primal mainly to optimize my health and to support my husband who did want to loose weight.

I've been wondering if there were other foodies out there who didn't eat junk food before going primal. We've been eating grassfed meat, growing and eating our own veggies forever and neither my husband nor I have ever been into eating fast food. I still love cooking and I am so thankful that paleo works for both of us. I could easily live off meat and veggies. But when there is a special occasion I can make delicious desserts that aren't weird and don't contain grains; there are traditional cake recipes that don't contain flour and lovely things one can do with grilled or roasted fruits.
                                Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Working...
                                X