Do You, Personally, Kill Your Own Meat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rasputina View Post
    I have a trained cougar named "Gunther" who does all my kills for me. I brush his fur and he brings me dead animals- it's very symbiotic.
    Gunther wouldn't just happen to be the spittin' image of your husband, would he?
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
      Gunther wouldn't just happen to be the spittin' image of your husband, would he?
      Mayhap he is....

Comment

Originally posted by solstice View Post
        we even cooked up groundhog----fattened on my garden! Is that "Appalachia" enough?!
        One of my favorite fiddle tunes is "Squirrel Heads and Gravy". There's a whole slew of edible "animal cruelty" fiddle tunes featuring ground hogs and squirrels.

I have a trained cougar named "Gunther" who does all my kills for me. I brush his fur and he brings me dead animals- it's very symbiotic.
        I used to live with a woman whose cat left us a row of mouse livers all lined up perfectly on the welcome mat every morning.
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
          One of my favorite fiddle tunes is "Squirrel Heads and Gravy". There's a whole slew of edible "animal cruelty" fiddle tunes featuring ground hogs and squirrels.

I used to live with a woman whose cat left us a row of mouse livers all lined up perfectly on the welcome mat every morning.
          So, the cat wouldn't eat the livers, either, eh?

Comment

I like mine very much... he brings home... BACON
            I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

We raise our own chickens, pigs & have raised 2 steers before. The bigger critters we had the knacker come in to do the killing and butchering, mainly because we wanted it done humanely and fast, but we helped with the aftermath (including 'salvaging' fresh offal). The chickens are DIY slaughter via hatchet.

Below are links to blog posts involving animal slaughter on our place. Graphic, but informative, if you've never participated or observed.

Where bacon comes from Seven Trees Farm
              http://seventreesfarm.wordpress.com/...me-doug-buddy/
              Summer projects & rotten rooster remedy… Seven Trees Farm
              Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

Comment

yeah, I am thinking about that steer...I think the hanging place we use for the goats and sheep will not be big/strong enough for it. Might have to hang it from the excavator bucket.
                http://www.cantneverdidanything.net/

Comment

Originally posted by catdance62 View Post
                  yeah, I am thinking about that steer...I think the hanging place we use for the goats and sheep will not be big/strong enough for it. Might have to hang it from the excavator bucket.
                  That's what our neighbor does.

Comment

Originally posted by catdance62 View Post
                    That's what my family does with their deer.
                    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Thats proly what we will do then
                      http://www.cantneverdidanything.net/

Comment

Originally posted by JBailey View Post
                        Below are links to blog posts involving animal slaughter on our place. Graphic, but informative, if you've never participated or observed.
                        I just looked at all three - thanks much! I do not get grossed out easily in general, so it wasn't bad after they were already dead.

Here, my kids and I go to a local processor to buy beef heart ($1.00 - yes, ONE dollar, EACH) for our cats and ourselves and you can see the halves hanging in the back. The owner has offered to take us in the back sometime when we are ready to see more - we just aren't allowed to be near when the animals are actually killed.

I understand about the rooster - that ram that my Oma had killed was a son-of-a-gun - he used to get out of his enclosure every morning and greet my brother and I at the front door... by charging us right through the threshold when we opened it to leave for school. My mom used to grab the really sturdy floor scrubber and do battle with the ram to give us enough time to run like hell down the driveway. That was something to see - my mom is 5'1" in the morning before gravity hits and my Oma never made it to even 5 feet.

Comment

First, you thank God for the opportunity, for many cold, patient hours have likely passed. Next, comes incredible focus as you aim and slowly squeeze the trigger. The field dressing and butchering, there is no remorse, just joy, for the success of the hunt.
                          Last edited by pace2race; 07-07-2012, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Honestly, I think if I had to hunt to eat, I would have completely different emotions attached to it. As it stands, I've been successfully able to feed myself without having to do the actual hunt/dress/butcher myself. I've never had to experience hunger because I didn't hunt.

Funny thing is, of all the people I've known over the years, the ones with the most active compassion for animals tended to be farmers and hunters.
                            Durp.

Comment

I haven't hunted but a friend and I raised our own beef steer last year. Part of our bargain was that I would be the one to kill it. Plus I kinda felt like I needed to take that responsibility if I was going to eat meat. To each their own and in their own time though.

I worried about it before hand as to wether I would be able to do it or not and so on. In the moment when I had to shoot him I was stressed. Mostly I was worried I would miss or the first shot wouldn't kil him or something. But it did. a single 22 bullet to the head and he dropped like a rock.

I had plently of experience for the butchering part as I have worked for several years at a wild game processing plant (a small family run thing that belongs to some friends of mine) but that was the first time I had killed my own food. I had done some target shooting just for fun (a little bit now and again for years. But never more than a couple times a year) and I once went rabbit shooting with some guys from work. I shot a rabbit. But we were just shooting them, not picking them up to eat. I was too shy to just say "hey! I'm gonna eat mine" and go pick it up. So I felt pretty bad about that. I DON'T like just killing things for the sake of killing things. And I
                              m honestly still not quite sure how I feel about shooting my steer. I certainly don't dwell on it. I don't even think about it very often. But when I do it's an interesting feeling. Like I'm both satisfied that I can and have raised and killed my own food but also a little unsure wether I'm ok with that. But I think thats ok. I don't want to ever kill something without having it weigh on me a bit.

So all that being said...

We raised our steer, I killed him, we butchered him. He's very tasty. And I know he lived a good life, a healthy life, and that I killed him as quickly and as cleanly as possible and treated him with respect. We bought his full sister this year and she will go to the freezer this fall.

Comment

We just brought home this year's piggies. They'll be going to freezer camp in November, after enjoying all kinds of garden goodness like squash and apples and corn, along with their rations.

BBQ1.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X