Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to take care of your teeth?

Should I ditch the toothpaste?
    How do I clean my teeth? I've read about oil pulling and dry brushing etc.
    Also, is it best to have fruit and other sweet things only once a day to limit damage to the teeth?

I brush my teeth with baking soda because I don't like all the fake sweeteners in toothpaste. I really think the oil puling thing, while some people swear by it, is kinda silly. Harmless but pretty useless. JMO, YMMV, and all those other disclaimers.

Comment

I'm experimenting this week with just ditching the toothpaste. Mainly I'm gently dry brushing and/or using a water flosser. If my mouth feels bleughy, I'm swishing it round with bicarb in water. If my teeth feel skanky, I dip my toothbrush in bicarb before brushing. I spent a couple of days feeling a bit "oh no - my breath!", but after that it's all settled down.
      Went primal for the weight loss, stayed for the quality of life!

Comment

I use a flouride-free toothpaste (just can't see myelf switching to nothing) called Jason Healthy Mouth. I get mine from Amazon, and there are a few different types.

I could see myself easily switching to baking soda if I ran out, though, and sometimes I'll just brush with a wet toothbrush, no paste.
        Durp.

Comment

You definitely don't need toothpaste-it's just for flavor. That said, I tried going without for awhile and didn't like it, so I use EcoDent. I love oil pulling-used to have very sensitive teeth and since I started doing that I don't anymore, and it also whitens them some.
          $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Comment

I usually use baking soda, sometimes just water and the brush. I keep floss in my bag and car, at home I use sharpened willow sticks.

How does oil-pulling whiten teeth - does it remove coffee stains and such?

I'm intrigued by oil-pulling but don't think I could manage it without hurling. I have what is probably the world's touchiest gag reflex; I regularly gag when brushing, tounge-scraping is totally out of the question, can't gargle, simple dental cleaning takes twice as long 'cause I have to re-group so often (my poor hygenist, he has the patience of a saint). I think the feel of oil in my mouth would be more of the same.

Comment

Originally posted by LJH View Post
              I usually use baking soda, sometimes just water and the brush. I keep floss in my bag and car, at home I use sharpened willow sticks.

How does oil-pulling whiten teeth - does it remove coffee stains and such?
              I think the idea is that a lot of the stuff that stains your teeth is fat-soluble, so the oil actually gently dissolves the stain-y stuff off the enamel. It seems to work OK and it always leaves my mouth feeling pretty nice when I pull with coconut oil.

Originally posted by LJH View Post
              I'm intrigued by oil-pulling but don't think I could manage it without hurling. I have what is probably the world's touchiest gag reflex; I regularly gag when brushing, tounge-scraping is totally out of the question, can't gargle, simple dental cleaning takes twice as long 'cause I have to re-group so often (my poor hygenist, he has the patience of a saint). I think the feel of oil in my mouth would be more of the same.
              It made me feel a bit queasy the first few times, and I don't have a strong gag reflex. You could probably work up to it slowly by using a very small amount of oil, maybe a teaspoon to start out, and using a little more each day to get accustomed to the feeling. The less you use the less strong the taste and sensation are. And do it over the sink so if you feel like you need to spit and rinse, you can.
              Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

What is oil pulling?

Comment

never mind, just looked it up on Wikipedia. I think I may try this with coconut oil instead of vegetable oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncephalized View Post
                    I think the idea is that a lot of the stuff that stains your teeth is fat-soluble, so the oil actually gently dissolves the stain-y stuff off the enamel. It seems to work OK and it always leaves my mouth feeling pretty nice when I pull with coconut oil.
                    This. After I started drinking black coffee, my teeth were beginning to yellow. I started oil pulling immediately after my morning coffee, and they got whiter.

I think the main idea behind it, though, is detoxification, but I don't think it makes too much of a difference.
                    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Ya'll, need to get primal; Miswak Stick
                      All the best!

PDJ

The quieter you become the more you're able to hear.

Mawlana Jalaludin Rumi

Comment

Best thing you can do for your teeth is to ditch the grains and sugar and keep your Vitamin D3 and Vitamin K2 levels high. Toothpaste, powder and oil pulling are basically cosmetic in effect
                        Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

I recommend using MI paste to re-mineralize your teeth.
                          ----------------------------------------
                          F, 48, 5'10"
                          Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
                          Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Comment

Originally posted by pdjesson View Post
                            Ya'll, need to get primal; Miswak Stick
                            Thanks for that, I'm in Egypt and those are used here. Forgot about them, I have some coming from Suez tomorrow.
                            Randal
                            AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
                            Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
                            http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

Originally posted by texas.grok View Post
                              Thanks for that, I'm in Egypt and those are used here. Forgot about them, I have some coming from Suez tomorrow.
                              I swear by Miswak. Though, apparently, not being the best advert for their use; I'd done a lot of damage to my teeth before becoming Muslim, but for 13 years (since becoming Muslim) I have only used miswak and they have preserved my teeth remarkably well.
                              All the best!

PDJ

The quieter you become the more you're able to hear.

Mawlana Jalaludin Rumi

Comment

Working...
                              X