How to take care of your teeth?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by texas.grok View Post
    I have been using the mishwak stick for about a week now and I like it. One thing interesting is that when I use a toothbrush, my gums bleed. There does not seem to be a problem with that with the mishwak. Maybe I need to start a US business importing them and selling them to the primal folks. Seems to be a good alternate to a toothbrush.
    I used to have the same problem (bleeding gums,) but not since using a miswak; which is strange, being that miswaks appear to be harder than toothbrushes.

The idea of importing them to the States and advertising them to non-Muslim audiences is a winner, particularly to the health conscious and the 'paranoid.' I've always thought it would be a good proposition given the will and the backing. This is the cutting edge of miswak technology Miswak Holder * 1/2 OFF SALE - Dar-us-Salam.com . I also believe that there would be a reasonable mark-up, considering the target demographic.
    All the best!

PDJ

The quieter you become the more you're able to hear.

Mawlana Jalaludin Rumi

Comment

Originally posted by Figlio di Moros View Post
      Not a bad idea. I tried it once, about seven years ago, long before I ever heard of Paleo. Happened to see them at a mall kiosk, and they worked alright. Haven't found them since, but it'd be nice to.
      They can be found in any store that that serves the Muslim community (strangely, your more likely to find them in a book/clothes store than a food store.) In NY that shouldn't be a problem.
      All the best!

PDJ

Mawlana Jalaludin Rumi

Comment

Originally posted by pdjesson View Post
        The idea of importing them to the States and advertising them to non-Muslim audiences is a winner, particularly to the health conscious and the 'paranoid.' I've always thought it would be a good proposition given the will and the backing.
        I'm going to explore this a bit more. Throwing a hundred or so of them in my bag when I came home would not be a problem. But I can see the postage costing almost as much as the stick did.
        Last edited by texas.grok; 07-13-2012, 01:43 PM.
        Randal
        AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
        Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
        http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

Had never heard of Miswak, but totally fascinated now. Considering the strong immigrant and muslim populations, surely I can find these suckers in Chicago somewhere. My Muslim roommate has a regular toothbrush as far as I know, but will check and maybe he can find me a lead.
          My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

Comment

Originally posted by PeaceCorpsCaveMan View Post
            When it comes to oil pulling, whenever I hear the word "toxin" used to describe non-specific pseudo-scientific bodily poltergeists, I generally stop listening.

Uno, Dos, Tres: 3 Health Products Debunked | Mark's Daily Apple
            I like sensible people. Oil pulling to me just seems like a waste of some good coconut oil.

Comment

They can be found in any store that that serves the Muslim community (strangely, your more likely to find them in a book/clothes store than a food store.) In NY that shouldn't be a problem.
              I'd feel dirty entering a place like that, no offense.

Comment

I'd feel dirty entering a place like that, no offense.
                You'd feel dirty entering a book store?
                All the best!

PDJ

Mawlana Jalaludin Rumi

Comment

Being surrounded by Muslims. Maybe "dirty" is a poor choice of words, but awkward, none-the-less.

Comment

Originally posted by DashFire View Post
                    Had never heard of Miswak, but totally fascinated now. Considering the strong immigrant and muslim populations, surely I can find these suckers in Chicago somewhere. My Muslim roommate has a regular toothbrush as far as I know, but will check and maybe he can find me a lead.
                    No luck. The roomie doesn't use them, even in prayer preperation, because can't find them and apparently not an integral thing if it's a hardship to find. But he said he'd ask around.

They can be found in any store that that serves the Muslim community (strangely, your more likely to find them in a book/clothes store than a food store.)
                    Thanks for this. Investigating this angle and might have a lead on a place. Will report back.
                    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

Comment

Being surrounded by Muslims. Maybe "dirty" is a poor choice of words, but awkward, none-the-less.
                      Considering that you are stepping out of your own culture and into another, awkward might be expected. My first job overseas was in Bahrain and when I got off the plane, I defiantly realized that "we aren't in Kansas anymore Toto" but quickly began to enjoy the culture of an Islamic country. Since then I have also worked in Saudi Arabia, Yemen and now Egypt.

Don't believe the US propaganda machine. Learn more about a culture and a religion before forming your opinions.

I have found people in the Middle-East and Muslims in particular, to be nothing more than warm and accepting people.
                      Randal
                      AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
                      Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
                      http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                        I like sensible people. Oil pulling to me just seems like a waste of some good coconut oil.
                        It may be. However, you seem to be agreeing with a post that pronounces de haut en bas that the known anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties of coconut oil are something to do with pseudo-science (not that the poster probably had any conception of what "pseudo-science" actually means).

One of many papers on the use of coconut oil in infections:

Novel antibacterial and emollient effects... [Dermatitis. 2008 Nov-Dec] - PubMed - NCBI

Still, I guess, the NIH is a hotbed for the dissemination of pseudo-science.

Comment

I had no idea... suddenly, the Roman practice of being rubbed down in olive oil after a work out and having it scraped off instead of showering doesn't seem to weird.

Maybe that's the next paleo treatment- VCO body rubs.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                            It may be. However, you seem to be agreeing with a post that pronounces de haut en bas that the known anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties of coconut oil are something to do with pseudo-science (not that the poster probably had any conception of what "pseudo-science" actually means).

One of many papers on the use of coconut oil in infections:

Novel antibacterial and emollient effects... [Dermatitis. 2008 Nov-Dec] - PubMed - NCBI

Still, I guess, the NIH is a hotbed for the dissemination of pseudo-science.
                            No, that post never said that coconut oil doesn't have anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, just that swishing it around in your mouth doesn't "pull" anything anywhere.

Comment

I had no idea... suddenly, the Roman practice of being rubbed down in olive oil after a work out and having it scraped off instead of showering doesn't seem to weird.

Maybe that's the next paleo treatment- VCO body rubs.
                              Sounds great, particularly if the person doing the rub down is a hot young Roman.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                                Sounds great, particularly if the person doing the rub down is a hot young Roman.
                                Abramovich? Polanski?
                                All the best!

PDJ

Mawlana Jalaludin Rumi

Comment

Working...
                                X