I have the tools but can't use them.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by James B View Post
    Yes frankly I count myself lucky I can eat those 2 vegetables. And what would be a supertaster exactly?
    A supertaster is someone who can taste things that others can't or taste them more strongly. Here's an article with a little info on it (ignore the whole fat=bad part). It could be a sensory issue or both, I would imagine, but from the sound of it it may be something you can work to overcome.
    Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

Yes frankly I count myself lucky I can eat those 2 vegetables. And what would be a supertaster exactly?
      A supertaster is someone who is thought to have a more dense concentration of "taste buds" than the rest of us. (I say "thought" because scientists aren't sure yet.) Like blackcatbone says, supertasters either taste flavors in food that escape the rest of us, and/or the food tastes more intense.

The term is something like the popular scientific term of the day here - lots of talk about supertasters right now, and some folks just overuse it, like in "Oh, I'm a supertaster, and I can taste this, and it tastes like...blah blah blah, and I really can't eat that, blah blah".

Not meaning you, of course. Or blackcatbone.
      I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

My simple approach to introducing novel foods such as the oft-dreaded veg -

1) Whether you boil, roast or stir-fry - only cook it long enough to make it slightly squishy. Break down the cellulose but don't break down the vitamins.
        2) Cook it with butter, then throw some more butter on the top when you serve it. There aren't many meals that can't be wonderfully enhanced by adding more butter.
        3) Eating like a caveman means a diet based mainly around animal proteins, they will provide you with almost everything your body needs (just ask an Inuit!). You don't need a mountain of veg if you don't like it, you can just have just a small serving of nutrient dense veg per meal if you wish to do low-carb.
        Start weight: 238 lbs (March 2012)
        Current weight: 205 lbs (July 2012)
        Loss so far: 33 lbs!!!
        WOE: Primal + IF
        Movements: Hiking, sprinting.
        Goal: to see my abs some time in 2013!

Comment

Originally posted by CaveWeirdo View Post
          My simple approach to introducing novel foods such as the oft-dreaded veg -

1) Whether you boil, roast or stir-fry - only cook it long enough to make it slightly squishy. Break down the cellulose but don't break down the vitamins.
          2) Cook it with butter, then throw some more butter on the top when you serve it. There aren't many meals that can't be wonderfully enhanced by adding more butter.
          3) Eating like a caveman means a diet based mainly around animal proteins, they will provide you with almost everything your body needs (just ask an Inuit!). You don't need a mountain of veg if you don't like it, you can just have just a small serving of nutrient dense veg per meal if you wish to do low-carb.
          Thanks for the advice but the butter part won't be much use seeing as I hate butter.

Comment

Well I suppose I could get some of my vitamins from supplements and I know I wont be able to just eat everything in 1 day but i'd rather have a proper diet because I've spent a lot of time being unsatisfied with my current diet. And no I wouldn't call it a serious issue but it is a big problem for me.
            The problem that you only like certain vegetables? My point was that it doesn't seem like you're as limited as you make out. You say you can eat a variety of fatty meats and fish. I suggest you take a multivitamin if you're worried about missing micronutrients. Even better would be if you can eat liver once a week or so.
            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
              The problem that you only like certain vegetables? My point was that it doesn't seem like you're as limited as you make out. You say you can eat a variety of fatty meats and fish. I suggest you take a multivitamin if you're worried about missing micronutrients. Even better would be if you can eat liver once a week or so.
              Yes but I struggle to make up the rest of the components needed for a meal. I would be taking multivitamins and supliments and such but I dont want to do that for long because it'll just drive me mad not having proper food. Oh and I don't like liver.

Comment

Yes but I struggle to make up the rest of the components needed for a meal. I would be taking multivitamins and supliments and such but I dont want to do that for long because it'll just drive me mad not having proper food. Oh and I don't like liver.
                Aha! I think the issue isn't with your available selection of foods, but rather with your preconceived notion of what comprises a meal. You'll get over that, I think a lot of us have had to re-define a "meal" since we began eating this way.
                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                  Aha! I think the issue isn't with your available selection of foods, but rather with your preconceived notion of what comprises a meal. You'll get over that, I think a lot of us have had to re-define a "meal" since we began eating this way.
                  Yes I feel I do need to relearn some of what constitutes a meal and indeed about the human diet. Although this modern society is capable of maintaining a certain standard of health and wellbeing on the standard guidelines, it could do better. As is the reason I subscribed to this website. my journey into this way of living isn't complete yet so I still have things to find out, and with a little guidence i'm sure i'll make it. prehaps you and other well to do people can inform me about what truely makes up the human diet, with input from myself ofcorse. Although I still want to intoduce more foods to my diet.

Comment

Working...
                  X