Paleo Magazine for Women

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tribal Rob View Post
    If I can be serious, I think a female specific take on the ancesteral diet and lifestyle would be fascinating. I have always been convinced there is a evelutionary difference between the sexes that primes us with differnt skills.

I think that feminism and equal opps have been over all positive, no doubt about that. however equality of treatment and status does not IMO mean we have to be the same. Its a persnal bug bear of mine that poeple in general when presented with different seem to need to choose best. I feel that celebrating the differnt stenghts men and women poseses has become unPC (these differences are of course general rules and don't apply to every individual)

the classic example being men can't multi task, why? is it because the most sucesfull men where those that could focus exclusivly on the hunt, the women however were tending the home fire and looking after the kids and forraging for food, those that were bad at this kept getting their kids eaten. Or is it just we can't be arsed.

Also men can't find stuff in cupboards, we just don't seem to be able to see the big picture and have to scan the shelves item by item, I've discussed this with my partner, often after she has said 'it's right there you idiot are you blind or something' She aparantly just looks at the whole thing. On the other hand when we are out and about it is always me that points out interesting wild-life, a buzzard, a stoat, rabbits - I just see them first. Is this hunter vs gather vison?

I think exporing these differences and looking at how we have evolved to be (as a species and doing it as a personal journey) will help us live in a way that helps us be healthy and happy. I know I feel ill equipped to live in normally society, so I've tried to organise my life in a way that fits what works for me.
    I think I love you, Tribal Rob!
    Durp.

Comment

I subscribe to Paleo Magazine, but I would be equally interested in this!!! So long as it's filled with a bunch of stuff listed above and not only geared towards a "mother" perspective. Some info on being a primal parent, sure, I get it, but not the entire magazine. Recipes, workouts, before/after stories of real women, etc. Definitely would be interested. I'd be up for helping too.

Comment

Originally posted by Metric View Post
        I subscribe to Paleo Magazine, but I would be equally interested in this!!! So long as it's filled with a bunch of stuff listed above and not only geared towards a "mother" perspective. Some info on being a primal parent, sure, I get it, but not the entire magazine. Recipes, workouts, before/after stories of real women, etc. Definitely would be interested. I'd be up for helping too.
        Good point.

Comment

Originally posted by Sihana
          Alright, so let's turn this hypothetical discussion a bit forward.
          1. Who would be interested in a community blog that acts as a Magazine (weekly) or News Blog with many editorials? (like i09)
          2. Decide on domain function / hosting service.
          3. Format & layout; this includes color schemes.
          a. If it is a magazine, layout example is: Front Page -> Table of Contents -> ??? --> ??? --> ??? --> End
          b. if it is more like a news blog, then skip this step and focus more on displaying posts smartly.

4. Who will write what? It should be based off experiences. Example, Paleobird and Sbhikes write about outdoors more, rasputina about natural beauty, Sakura & eyeofround about female physical fitness, so on and so forth.
          5. What will they write? Content is king. Plan for at least 3 months of solid content if doing news-esque style, 6 months if magazine style.
          6. Reader submitted editorials & questions?

7. Just for Kenn - Weekly male eye-candy, must be men who follow the primal lifestyle. Kenn better submit his picture

8. Collaboration must be done; if we are doing this blog style, a thread on this forum may work just nicely. If the administration panels on the blog format have collaboration features, it could be done there instead.

9. Decide eventually if you want ads or not.

Any other ideas?
          I wouldn't know a domain function from a hosting service from a hole in the ground. Total computer luddite. I would be willing to contribute content however. I could do a travel column with a serialized look at some of the places I've been with maybe advice on how to stay Primal while away from home.

Primal eye candy. Hellz yeah!

Comment

Yes. I'm a dude. So I suppose feel free to ignore whatever I'm saying here...

But, I support this wholeheartedly. Will admit I skimmed the thread (too much noise), but noticed and appreciate Sihana and Kenn putting some organizational perspective on things, and while I disagree with Tribal Rob's generalizations of men, I concur that a women's focused publication would be fascinating and is much needed. Professionally I work on digital media strategy and have worked with digital publishing companies (though not magazines) that have niche blog sites with over half million monthly visitors, so I am happy to enter the fray and assist (if desired). A few initial thoughts...

- As someone already mentioned, the blog route is an option, and probably a necessity regardless of what other format the publication takes.

- Start-up cost could be anything from <100 (for basic blog style, or self-published PDF) to still <1000 (for digital magazine style using something like issuu pro, or adobe digital publishing suite, or other magazine app software - for tablets).

- There are more than enough women that are doing, attempting, or curious about paleo/primal to likely make this a viable niche (though viability is a rather complex, multi-faceted thing, but that's my initial perspective). Now whether that's an actual mag, a digital mag, or just a solid collaborative blog, there's a lot of questions there.

- Collaboration can be an amazing thing, but it can also result in utter crap. The best collaborative efforts have a strong leader, with a clear vision, who isn't compromising, but rather laying out their idea and asking people to get on board if it sparks something in them. Do that - hell, even crowdsource it! But don't let this happen by committee or compromise or the end product will likely suck.

I'm happy to discuss more, so someone message me if there are discussions of actually moving this beyond hypothetical.
            Last edited by DashFire; 07-04-2012, 09:55 PM.
            My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

Comment

So is this morphing into a blog instead of a physical magazine? If so, I can actually get behind that as I believe that's a much more viable product at the moment.

FYI, since nobody seemed to want to try the low-hanging fruit I suggested first, I went ahead and contacted Paleo Magazine and they said they've already been in contact with female writers/bloggers and will be adding a Paleo for Women section starting in the Oct/Nov issue.

Anyway, I want to apologize if I came off as rude earlier (I probably was being rude). I wasn't trying to criticize because I want the project to fail, I just wanted people to at least consider the simpler solution first before jumping straight into what I believe to a possibly expensive (both time and money) undertaking when the simpler solution may very well achieve much of the same goals.
              Last edited by Dracil; 07-05-2012, 10:59 AM.

Comment

I SUCK at blabbing on but I am good at giving facts and I enjoy cooking. So, with that in mind, I would be willing to contribute some recipes (since no blabbing is required ). High quality photo's included throughout the recipe.

I vote for a nicely presented news blog.
                Last edited by Metric; 07-05-2012, 02:52 PM.

Comment

A few pages ago, a poster listed a bunch of her favorite female bloggers, and some other female posters agreed. I'd say there's probably enough blogs already, a magazine might give you a chance to unify those perspectives, perhaps even give other women ideas on where to find other female/paleo bloggers. Why not contact those women whose blogs you already view, and see if they're interested in writing articles for the Mag?

There's also the issue, that seems to be addressed, of it bieng "more than Primal parenting". I suppose that's another area of concern, chiseling out the niche a bit more. Primal motherhood might ostracize single women, primal female health/exercise might not pull in as much attention from those concerned with parenting issues, and balancing them might be a pain in the ass.

Comment

Originally posted by springnr View Post
                    Take it to email?

Pretty classy using someone else's site to figure out how to draw customers away/compete.
                    Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                    Nobody is "drawing customers away" from or "competing" with Mark. A primal mag from the female POV would be an addition to reading MDA not a replacement.
                    Exactly! Besides, it may actually INCREASE the market for primal/paleo outfits like MDA, by pulling in a broader audience of women through fitness and natural beauty features, etc.

Originally posted by Sihana
                    Alright, so let's turn this hypothetical discussion a bit forward.

1. Who would be interested in a community blog that acts as a Magazine (weekly) or News Blog with many editorials? (like i09)

2. Decide on domain function / hosting service.

3. Format & layout; this includes color schemes.
                    a. If it is a magazine, layout example is: Front Page -> Table of Contents -> ??? --> ??? --> ??? --> End
                    b. if it is more like a news blog, then skip this step and focus more on displaying posts smartly.

4. Who will write what? It should be based off experiences. Example, Paleobird and Sbhikes write about outdoors more, rasputina about natural beauty, Sakura & eyeofround about female physical fitness, so on and so forth.

5. What will they write? Content is king. Plan for at least 3 months of solid content if doing news-esque style, 6 months if magazine style.

6. Reader submitted editorials & questions?

7. Just for Kenn - Weekly male eye-candy, must be men who follow the primal lifestyle. Kenn better submit his picture

8. Collaboration must be done; if we are doing this blog style, a thread on this forum may work just nicely. If the administration panels on the blog format have collaboration features, it could be done there instead.

9. Decide eventually if you want ads or not.

Any other ideas?
                    I'm definitely in for writing about natural beauty too, though you didn't mention me. I've actually been scoping out organic/natural beauty brands for longer than I've been primal (going on 3 years now) - and I'm a pretty traditional girl about make-up (I wear it out most of the time - only go without on days I am staying around the house or just running errands - hey, I'm single, and you never know when you might run into the right guy . . . ) - so I've had to test out cosmetics as well as hygiene products that are better for me and the environment. It is one of the few things I'd consider myself pretty expert on.

I cook a lot too - so I'd be happy to contribute recipes now and again. I'm also a librarian - so I've got lots of experience writing book reviews and would be happy to do that as well - maybe one primal/paleo book per month and one chick-lit book per month?

Originally posted by Dracil View Post
                    So is this morphing into a blog instead of a physical magazine? If so, I can actually get behind that as I believe that's a much more viable product at the moment.

FYI, since nobody seemed to want to try the low-hanging fruit I suggested first, I went ahead and contacted Paleo Magazine and they said they've already been in contact with female writers/bloggers and will be adding a Paleo for Women section starting in the Oct/Nov issue.

Anyway, I want to apologize if I came off as rude earlier (I probably was being rude). I wasn't trying to criticize because I want the project to fail, I just wanted people to at least consider the simpler solution first before jumping straight into what I believe to a possibly expensive (both time and money) undertaking when the simpler solution may very well achieve much of the same goals.
                    Sweet! I'm hoping to have a subscription by then. I've had to hold off because of moving - but it's on my list of things to get with my first couple paychecks.
                    Healthy Bucket List:
                    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
                    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
                    • Do a real pull-up
                    • Run a 5k
                    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

Comment

I'm all for writing/posting recipes, even though I have my own blog

I also found this which looks AWESOME:

Easily Publish Gorgeous Magazines | Scoop.it
                      A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

I would LOVE to help write if this goes to a blog/mag too! Actually, I think it would be FABULOUS if we could get many of the regulars (women) here on the boards to contribute in areas of specialty.

My specialties are cooking and health/fitness.

I used to organize a small print newsletter/magazine for an organization and would also be glad to contribute ideas that way too.
                        FaceBook: PaleoMusings

We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

Comment

I would love to be part of something like this, especially if you were interested in a historical/philosophical column. I do a lot of professional research into women warriors and hunters in history and literature, as well as amateur research into the ethics and sustainability of primal living. It would be easy to whip up some woman warrior inspiration pieces and philosophical arguments for the lifestyle that are pertinent for women. But anyway, I think creating a resource like this would be a great idea. Unfortunately, I have no business sense at all and can't help with that!

Comment

**raises hand**

I've been an editor for a business management journal for more than 13 years. I'd be very happy to help out on the editorial end of things, anywhere from line/copy editing to developmental editing. I'd also be happy to contribute articles or other content (if it's needed -- it looks like there are lots of people already interested in contributing content). In terms of writing, I'm a novelist with eight published books on the shelves.
                            F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Comment

If someone organizes all of this it could happen fairly easily....
                              Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
                              Starting Weight: 294 pounds
                              Current Weight: 235 pounds
                              Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Comment

I can organize this! A mag/blog like this would be awesome! Should we get going and rock this??
                                FaceBook: PaleoMusings

We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

Comment

Working...
                                X