Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paleo Magazine for Women

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Dracil View Post
    I don't really see the point of a second magazine. As a man, gender-specific stuff is still relevant to me because hey, there are women in my life, and if I'm going to share knowledge about Paleo/Primal, I'd want to know about that information as well.

    Which is why I think it's better for it to go into the current Paleo Magazine, especially since many of their contributors are already women, like Amy Kubal, the Paleo RD for the magazine and Robb Wolf.

    If you want to see more women's related health issues, why not just write to them and suggest that?

    That said, I'm apparently one of the rare men who isn't disgusted by women's health topics.
    Just as there are magazines called "Men's Health," and "Women's Health," and dozens of others that devote entire content to one gender, I am interested in an entire magazine devoted to women and the paleo lifestyle. It doesn't need to replace or be absorbed by the current Paleo Magazine. I think the 50k+ viewed thread devoted to "She-Groks" on this forum makes it clear that we certainly have enough issues, as women, to discuss.

    As I've said before, this thread has nothing to do with men, and, no offense, we really don't care what you have to say about the concept of a paleo magazine for women.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Rasputina View Post
      As I've said before, this thread has nothing to do with men, and, no offense, we really don't care what you have to say about the concept of a paleo magazine for women.
      Well, if you wish to be so hostile about it, *shrug* nobody's stopping you.

      Though I think it's a stretch to speak for all women there. Kinda like how male paleo authors think they speak for all paleo followers?
      Last edited by Dracil; 07-02-2012, 05:27 PM.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Dracil View Post
        Well, if you wish to be so hostile about it, *shrug* nobody's stopping you.

        Though I think it's a stretch to speak for all women there. Kinda like how male paleo authors think they speak for all paleo followers?
        I'm not being hostile, I'm just being honest. I'm not sure what woman would care what any man has to say about the women's fitness mags she wishes to read. Maybe these women exist, I dunno. Pity, if they do.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Rasputina View Post
          I'm not being hostile, I'm just being honest. I'm not sure what woman would care what any man has to say about the women's fitness mags she wishes to read. Maybe these women exist, I dunno. Pity, if they do.
          Let me rephrase that. You don't care about what men who are interested in women's health because they care about the women in their lives (who are not magazine/English readers) have to say and would prefer they be kept in the dark about women's issues for the simple fact that they have a different set of organs. Got it. I still think that's a bit narrow-minded and somewhat sexist, but it's your magazine and you don't care anyway, so I'm done here.
          Last edited by Dracil; 07-02-2012, 05:57 PM.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
            If you don't want to learn about the "mystery bits", there are other men that are eager and willing to learn. With live subjects even!
            That's actually my prefered method of learning...

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Dracil View Post
              Competition is fine, but I'm not convinced a better product will be made. Consolidation does have its advantages. Or rather, market fragmentation does have its disadvantages to consumers.
              Except this isn't really fragmentation like you're talking about. Really the only person that should believe whether it will be a better product is the entrepreneur

              Again the OP seems rather to like arguing about doing it rather than discussing how to do it so I guess I agree it probably won't happen.
              Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
              Starting Weight: 294 pounds
              Current Weight: 235 pounds
              Goal Weight: 195 pounds

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Dracil View Post
                Let me rephrase that. You don't care about what men who are interested in women's health because they care about the women in their lives (who are not magazine/English readers) have to say and would prefer they be kept in the dark about women's issues for the simple fact that they have a different set of organs. Got it. I still think that's a bit narrow-minded and somewhat sexist, but it's your magazine and you don't care anyway, so I'm done here.
                Go read Shape, then. Or Self. Or Cosmo. Or Women's Health. Why would anyone care if you read it? The editors aren't marketing the magazines towards you, and they certainly don't care if you read it, so knock yourself out. Also, it's not MY magazine, the magazine doesn't exist. I'm trying to discuss with other WOMEN on this forum what we would want or not want to see in a Paleo Women's Magazine. It just has absolutely nothing to do with you. Quit being a freak.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Sihana
                  I could see how this could be useful, but what exactly would you fill it with?

                  More importantly, what would be its name?
                  Well, I'd like it if such mag could include mini workout guides, maybe reviews on athletic, some recipes, maybe some paleo/primal restaurant product reviews, articles on biological and mental health issues, interviews with female athletes, chefs, physicians, etc. What would you put in your mag, if you had one?
                  As for what it would be called... I have no clue! I probably wouldn't include paleo or primal in the title though.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    I think it should be called "Grokelle".

                    I would like to see articles about how a female metabolism responds to various training techniques, IFing, carbohydrate restriction/cycling, etc. Also interviews with female athletes, doctors, trainers, nutritionists who understand and recommend the Primal lifestyle.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Rasputina View Post
                      Go read Shape, then. Or Self. Or Cosmo. Or Women's Health. Why would anyone care if you read it? The editors aren't marketing the magazines towards you, and they certainly don't care if you read it, so knock yourself out. Also, it's not MY magazine, the magazine doesn't exist. I'm trying to discuss with other WOMEN on this forum what we would want or not want to see in a Paleo Women's Magazine. It just has absolutely nothing to do with you. Quit being a freak.
                      bizarre approach to an open forum

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Embittered bickering aside, I've been looking for some solid, science-based info for and about women and paleo/primal and it's tough. Most of the science is based on men or if it is women, it's usually post-menopausal women because all those hormones fluctuating around make scientists uneasy. True that most of the "heavy hitters" in this space are men and I don't discount what they say, but I do wonder if they would espouse the same things if they were female. And many of the female-oriented paleo/primal sites are what I call 'estrogen soaked', meaning they are emotionally forward, deal a lot with childbirth and fertility and a lot about female psychology and its assorted ills. Or, as someone else once said, they're either full of 'look at me in my bikini' or 'here's another cupcake recipe'. While those may be great for a lot of women, they aren't for me. I want facts about how best to arrange the Primal Blueprint for a chemically-fertile woman. It's tough to find.

                        So far I like PaleoForWomen although her podcast goes off the estrogen cliff too much for my taste. Hunt.Gather.Love is pretty good as well. Less touchy-feely. I wish Nora Gedgaudas was a more active blogger or writer, but she isn't which stinks because overall I like her approach, too. She has a podcast, but the format drives me up a wall. RawFoodSOS which is probably the most science heavy paleo/primal site I've come across and, of course, she blogs infrequently as well. I'm still sorting out another female blogger's site to see if I'll stick with it over time, it's WeightMaven and I almost didn't really look at it because of the banner of a kid eating at the top...ugh. Also still evaluating BalancedBites and Whole9.

                        With all these and other blogs that I read or podcasts that I follow, I'm not sure how I'd squeeze in a magazine, too. It would have to be VERY good.
                        Last edited by June68; 07-03-2012, 04:46 AM.
                        5' 9" 47 YO F
                        PB start June 2, 2012
                        Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)
                        Current deadlift 245 lbs, squat 165 lbs, bench press 135 lbs


                        PB Journal

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          eek, double post!
                          5' 9" 47 YO F
                          PB start June 2, 2012
                          Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)
                          Current deadlift 245 lbs, squat 165 lbs, bench press 135 lbs


                          PB Journal

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by lambchop View Post
                            bizarre approach to an open forum
                            Ah, lambchop, where have you been? This is not an open forum. Well, it is an open forum if you happen to post a thread called something like, "A Manly Thread for Men to Discuss Manly Things" Then everyone gets to participate.

                            If you are a woman and post an opening message that says,
                            Originally posted by Rasputina View Post
                            As I'm leafing through my "Shape" magazine, I started thinking about how nice it would be to have a paleo magazine for women. Most female fitness and healthy lifestyle mags are great for workout ideas, but suck in the food/nutrition department. I'd like a paleo mag for women that is not only tailored to women's workouts, but focuses also on paleo nutrition, female health concerns, mental and spiritual health, as well as reviews on paleo resources and inspirational female paleo role models. I wonder how much it would cost to start up an online mag like this?
                            which in no way says you only want women's opinions you obviously only want women's opinions and all men should go DIAF.

                            There is a decided "women only" vibe from many posters/threads around here lately, which I find disappointing, especially given that the OP is usually not one I associate with such. That said, if ever said magazine were to start I'd buy it for my wife as I would like her to know the primal benefits for women, except apparently I should be reading Shape or Cosmo like the freak I am.

                            Perhaps Mark will start a new forum feature where gender exclusive threads can be color coded to avoid giving offense.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                              Ah, lambchop, where have you been? This is not an open forum. Well, it is an open forum if you happen to post a thread called something like, "A Manly Thread for Men to Discuss Manly Things" Then everyone gets to participate.

                              If you are a woman and post an opening message that says, which in no way says you only want women's opinions you obviously only want women's opinions and all men should go DIAF.

                              There is a decided "women only" vibe from many posters/threads around here lately, which I find disappointing, especially given that the OP is usually not one I associate with such. That said, if ever said magazine were to start I'd buy it for my wife as I would like her to know the primal benefits for women, except apparently I should be reading Shape or Cosmo like the freak I am.

                              Perhaps Mark will start a new forum feature where gender exclusive threads can be color coded to avoid giving offense.
                              You are being absolutely ridiculous. I was defending the idea of having a paleo woman's magazine, from a man who found the idea of such a magazine sexist. And he was being a freak about it.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                                I think it should be called "Grokelle".

                                I would like to see articles about how a female metabolism responds to various training techniques, IFing, carbohydrate restriction/cycling, etc. Also interviews with female athletes, doctors, trainers, nutritionists who understand and recommend the Primal lifestyle.
                                I second the metabolism idea! You would make a good editor/writer for this dream mag!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X