No announcement yet.

Obligatory "It's hot out there" thread.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It STILL isn't the heat...its the humidity.

Comment

Hotter than the hinges of hell here in west Texas.

Comment

Sticky, sticky, nighttime... 2am, 75 degrees, and 90% humidity.
        Good gawd... it's muggy.

The projection for 6am is 72 degrees and 100% humidity... and 'clear' if you can see through the soup you are trying to breathe!

It hasn't ramped up to where the nights are staying a consistent 85+ yet though, and for that I'm thankful.
        “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
        ~Friedrich Nietzsche
        And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputina View Post
          These are fantastic! I love mid-century modern. I wish you lived near me, so we could scour the shops for projects together. Do sell your re-furbs or keep them?
          Oh yeah! I could just see the fist fights when we both spotted the same piece. Heh. I saw a brilliant bedroom set in Florida when I was there last week but couldn't get it home. I could have made some buck on that one. Also a friend of mine owns a vintage mid-century shop here and asked if I'd be interested in doing some picking. But no, I haven't sold anything yet, but that was the plan. I found a set of Conant Ball mid-century dining chairs that I'm also working on. Forgot about those. One is finished, although I may redo the seat, as I still need to work on my my upholstery skills.

And I have a small side table/nightstand that I was planning on painting and replacing hardware on then selling. I have a lot of the yellow paint leftover so not much investment. I don't really expect to make much money doing it, more just paying for the hobby, as I enjoy doing it. As long as it isn't 100+ degrees. That plus gardening, which unfortunately is punishing in the heat as well.
          Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

Passed a convoy of utility trucks heading south today. Hope y'all hold out 'til the electricity's back.
            Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

Hope they weren't our trucks, because we're right at the beginning of Power Failure Season here.

Not that those are EVER planned or anything...
              Durp.

Comment

A bunch of neighborhood children playing together in a water hose today... you know it's summer when type thing.
                “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Um, we'll take 10-15 degrees of your heat up here in Portland Oregon. It's currently 60 degrees and the heat just came on - again.

Not that I'd trade it for 100 and humid, but 75 would be awfully nice.
                  "For the great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie—deliberate, contrived, and dishonest—but the myth—persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic ... we enjoy the comfort of opinions without the discomfort of thought."
                  ---John F. Kennedy

Comment

Current temp... 93, heat index 104, humidity ridiculous.
                    Yeah... no yard work has been done today.
                    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

I don't know how you mainlanders can do it. I'm still getting used to the upper 90s and lower 60s in California. Before moving, I have been used to temperatures fluctuating from the mid-70s to the low 90s.
                      My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                        I don't know how you mainlanders can do it. I'm still getting used to the upper 90s and lower 60s in California. Before moving, I have been used to temperatures fluctuating from the mid-70s to the low 90s.
                        Dunno' where you are from, but just wait until WINTER in most parts of the mainland...
                        I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

We're supposed to be pretty low until the end of the week (around 102F with 5-10% humidity) but then we have rain in the forecast for Thursday.

SOUNDS like a great thing, but it's just going to royally suck because you have rain Thursday and then 106F on Friday - with all of the moisture still in the air from the day before.
                          Durp.

Comment

The reason why you sweat so much in a dry Sauna is that the temperature is generally in the range of 170-180 degrees... and may be up to about 200. Th air is dry but you are sweating faster than the evaporative cooling effect can take place which is the reason for sweat. That is a BIG difference from 90-110 degrees.
                            At normal hot DRY temps evaporative cooling of sweat does make things feel better than in the WET humid climates where the air is already so saturated with water vapor that it actually makes your skin moist before you even begin to sweat. The evaporative cooling process is derailed... and you end up feeling hotter than the actual temperature of the air (thus the Heat Index... it's a temperature plus relative humidity calculation).
                            Heat index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                            In the USAF we used to travel pretty regularly from the gulf coast/panhandle of FL to Arizona for TDY stuff... in the summer the temps were very similar, but without the humidity Arizona seemed more comfortable in some ways... the abrupt change to dry air was pretty rough on my skin though.

A similar principle applies to cold.
                            Most people who live in cold dry areas like Colarado are shocked at how cold the humid areas FEEL at similar, or even higher, temperatures than they left at home if traveling.

No doubt though that regardless of wet or dry... 100 degrees is just plain HOT.
                            Last edited by cori93437; 07-01-2012, 02:45 PM.
                            ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Frozen kefir pops. Home made, of course. Kefir, a bit of heavy cream, vanilla, lemon zest and juice and stevia. I was in need of something frozen so I picked up a freezer pop thingy at the supermarket today. YUM!
                              Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

Good news- it wasn't an inferno today, so I sat outside for lunch! Also it looks like it will storm, hazzah!

Comment

Working...
                                X