Lady problems.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lady problems.

So I was wondering if any of you guys (especially the ladies out there) could help me figure out what in the world is going on with me lately.

I'm 21 years old, 5'8", 165ish lbs. A few months ago I was bopin' along, doin' my thing, when I realized that I had missed a period. That was a first. So I took a HPT, went and got a blood test, and thankfully everything was negative. My friends were always telling me stories about their irregular periods, so I just chalked it up to being a lady. But now, two months and two more missed periods later, I'm starting to get a little confused...

Missing periods is extremely abnormal for me (as in, I never have before). Before my missed periods I had also been having a lot of success with my weight loss & moods being stable. Now I'm suddenly gaining weight (7-10 lbs ) and all over the place emotionally (mostly irritable). I'm _definitely_ not pregnant, which was a surprise to me. I had/have a lot of pregnancy-like symptoms, including my boobs getting bigger, which happened before I put on the 7-10 lbs previously mentioned. I've also noticed a reversal of my previous problem with vaginal dryness. I feel generally bloated most of the time and get light/moderate cramping sometimes (it FEELS like I'm about to start menstruating, but I never do).

I went into the doctor earlier this month and she did a hormone panel, but it wasn't as comprehensive as I had hoped. I would go back in but I'm pretty broke and won't have insurance until school starts in August. I've been doing a lot of reading and what I'm experiencing seems to be pretty consistent with estrogen dominance, but I'm not sure...

Back in March I was doing some tinkering with my diet because I was having problems with severe bloating/pain, probably due a food intolerance. I ate just meal/offal/fat for about 10 days and then slowly started to add things back in. It was seriously the best I have felt in years, but I'm wondering if it somehow may have messed with my cortisol levels? I didn't FEEL like it was putting stress on my body, but I guess it's possible.

If any of you guys have experienced something similar, or have any theories, I'd be psyched to hear about it

You're pregnant.

And yes, I've read it all. Hmmhmmm. There's nothing else that strikes totally out of the blue like that, otherwise I'd say PCOS.

Do another test. A good one.

Comment

Erm, three months along, if so....is your lower abdomen tender at all?

Comment

Haha, like I said I am definitely not pregnant. I've had two blood tests and an ultrasound. My uterus is as barren as the mojave. No lower abdominal tenderness, just the occasional cramping.

Comment

i would say PCOS.
          Our primal family journal.

Comment

Ahh, yeah. That's a possibility. I don't know if PCOS is genetic, but my mom has a very severe case of it. I seem to remember reading something about low carb diets helping women with PCOS? Perhaps I'll look into that some more.

Comment

Did they check your prolactin? Have you had any leakage from your breasts? Did the mention your pituitary? Probably not your problem but if it was, it could mess with your periods.

Comment

I'm guessing you'd have told us, but are you taking birth control pills, or any contraceptive injections like depo provera?

Comment

They did test my prolactin! It was 7 ng/ml. And nope, no leakage or forms of birth control. My doctor didn't mention my pituitary gland. What could go wrong with it that would cause me to stop menstruating?

Comment

no, you aren't pregnant, and no, it isn't abnormal. It's very common to change your diet and workout and have your cycle change. It happened to me and all of my friends, depending upon what we;re eating, or whether we're active in martial arts or regular exercise. Normal, completely.

Comment

When I went into bootcamp for the Marines many years ago I didn't have a cycle the whole time either. That was a first for me and could have been the physical/dietary changes.

Comment

Although missing the odd period is not unusual, the other "symptoms" are not. I'm sorry I can't suggest what may be wrong as I'm not an expert. But don't accept being fobbed off by doctors who cannot find a diagnosis and therefore conclude that there is nothing wrong with you. You know your own body and should continue to listen to it. You clearly believe there is something wrong, so I would say keep trying to find out what's up, whilst continuing to take care of yourself well.

Comment

Thanks guys! The odd thing about it all is that I didn't really change my routine that much at all, especially not exercise-wise. When it happened I was actually about to join a crossfit box but I put it off because I didn't want to stress my body out more than I might (somehow?) already. I may treat it as PCOS for a while and see if I feel any better. Gotta start somewhere.

I know that the missed periods themselves aren't necessarily abnormal, but like Sally_UK said, it's the other symptoms that bother me (not having my period has honestly been kind of nice, haha). I just feel generally shitty on top of it. I'm not used to feeling generally shitty.

Comment

If you had an ultrasound, I assume they checked the ovaries and would have seen if it was a case of PCOS, it's quite visible usually.

I really have don't know anything about this, but an ectopic pregnancy would come with da hormones, right? Plus, doc for sure checked for it, right? Also I don't think it would last for 3 months. So never mind.

Comment

Hmmm, my vote would be PCOS as well, but honestly no way to tell that for sure without doing the proper tests for it.

I have PCOS and going primal actually had the opposite effect on my cycles. I was VERY irregular and never ovulated on my own.
                              Weight slowly slowly slowly came off, and what do ya know... I got my cycles back and got pregnant (we were trying).
                              The cycles I did have on my own were still longer than normal, but I'll take that over bleeding all the time or nothing any day.
                              DD born August 2012
                              TTC #2
                              SW: 1/20/14- 212.4
                              CW: 2/21/14- 202.6 (9.8 loss)
                              Goal: Short term, get below 200 and get pregnant. Long term, get to 120-130
                              Mini goal, get in to a size 12.

My boring uneventful journal for your viewing pleasure

Comment

Working...
                              X