Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frequency of getting sick increased on primal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I rarely got sick before Primal, but haven't had so much as a minor sniffle in the year & a half since I kicked grains & sugar. I used to get an annoying cough every winter that would last for weeks and now that I think about it, that didn't happen last winter either.

Comment

Originally posted by palebluedots View Post
      I'm just wondering if anyone has noticed any difference in how often they catch colds or flus eating this way? I have been vegan for the last 12 years, and I seriously cannot even remember the last time I caught a bug or a flu of any sort. I've been eating primal for a month now, and just today I can tell I'm getting sick. Fever, sore throat, the works. Of course I can't help wondering if my dietary changes are linked to it. Anyone have thoughts?
      It's possible it could be some sort of detox/healing reaction from giving your body the food it needs to heal. I'm guessing you were lacking in certain vitamins that you can't get from being vegan, and now that you're getting them, your body is adjusting. Give it time, it's probably a good thing. In the meantime, I'd suggest lots of bone broth.
      $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Comment

On very bad CW (I gained 10 kgs in couple of years at one point) and as a teenager I used to have sore throat and colds all the time. Well, like something serious 5-6 times a year and 10 more minor ones. When I cleaned up my diet and lost weight (first just with CW but whole foods only), I had few sore throats that usually went away within a day. Since I am on strict paleo (three months or so now), I haven't had as much as a tiny one. Now I even try to expose myself to more cold intentionally - previously it wouls have landed me a sore throat within hours.
        Hope it sorts out quickly for you!

Comment

I was sick a lot on very low carb, yes.

Comment

I now have major hair loss and lots of seasonal allergies that I never had before....my hair is really falling out in chunks. Doesn't matter as I have very thick hair, but a bit freaky. And yeah, now I have to take claritin for runny nose and ITCHY eyes to get through the day- never before, and I'm 38. Not really keen on that one.

That said, we only caught two bugs this winter, as opposed to the usual 1000. My kids are in preschool, they are germ mills. Could have been the very mild winter though, I think everyone around us has been doing fairly good. (besides of the clorox-freak moms- man, they are ALWAYS sick).

Comment

And also, I am feeling GREAT. I'm sort of banking on the bad stuff being due to some toxins leaving (not losing fat though, so not sure anything is being released). Anyway. Eating this way can only be good (i'm cutting out grains, legumes, sugar and processed foods and eating organic and grassfed as much as I can, not fiddeling too much otherwise), so I'm not worried.

Comment

Back when I was veg, I got sick several times a year. Every cold/flu stuck around for weeks eventually became bronchitis, sinusitis, laryngitis, or worse. I seriously caught everything and anything. I was the girl who got the weird ear infection or contagious skin rash - and when I went to the doctor, they'd take pictures and bring in all the nurses and interns to learn about it. I do not miss that.

Since going primal, I've caught only a couple of colds which clear up very quickly and do not progress into the infections of the past. I got tonsillitis once, that cleared up with coconut manna. Many times everyone around me has been sick, but I somehow manage to stay well (even being pregnant now - which they say makes you more succeptible).

Anyway, hang in there and you should see a lot of improvement.
                Jen, former Midwesterner, living in the middle of nowhere.

Comment

I never really got sick before, but I really don't with primaleo.

I did get sick about three weeks ago with an actual, honest-to-gosh cold. I attribute that to the pregnancy more than anything. And I got over it fast. My husband had it for days, and is not as strict with his sleep, diet, Vitamin-D.

How's your sleep?
                  Steph
                  My Primal Meanderings

Comment

I always used to get every bug going around, but since Primal have not really been ill - a bout of norovirus, and currently a cold. But the interesting thing, for me at least, is that this cold is getting better really quickly. It took my daughter 3 weeks to start recovering (it triggered her asthma again, which was a pain), and my husband is now in his second week of feeling grotty with it, but day 4 and I'm nearly over it!

Comment

thanks everyone for all your responses! I had a rough couple of days but I am feeling much better now.

onalark, you asked how my sleep is. The short story is that my sleep is fantastic, but that's pretty much only because I take an ambien at night that knocks me out, heh. But I have done that for years now... I've suffered from super bad insomnia for my whole life, even as young as I can remember, I could never sleep! But now, one ambien a night and I sleep like a baby.

Comma, I'm worried that you say your hair is falling out! When I was a raw-vegan, my hair started falling out in huge chunks as well, and my toenails fell off. I'm fairly confident it was a protein deficiency, and now that I'm eating primal, I've not had any of those problems. So keep an eye on that... I'm guessing that if you're eating primal, you're getting plenty of protein? (and gosh, does it feel weird, being an ex vegan and asking someone if they're getting enough protein, teehee!)

Comment

I got sick about 1 month into it - fever & infection, felt just awful. I was a bit concerned because, honestly, I was NEVER sick eating SAD. Coincidence? I don't know but it was a bit unnerving at the time. I thought primal = bulletproof.

Comment

The only time I've gotten sick since going primal 2+ years ago was about 2 weeks into going off the diet. Before that, I would get a nasty sinus infection about every 6 months or so.

Comment

Hm, now that you say it, it might have slowed a bit since I added a huge whey protein shake in the morning ( I have this here! It was expensive!) Not sure how I could possibly not eat enough protein though, it's eggs and meat for every meal.

Comment

Originally posted by palebluedots View Post
                              Comma, I'm worried that you say your hair is falling out! When I was a raw-vegan, my hair started falling out in huge chunks as well, and my toenails fell off. I'm fairly confident it was a protein deficiency, and now that I'm eating primal, I've not had any of those problems. So keep an eye on that...
                              The medical term for hair loss caused by a metabolic or physiologic stress is telogen effluvium. Any type of change in diet can cause it. So can actually having a chronic caloric or nutritional deficiency, weight loss, starting a new medication, having a baby, illness, injury, overexercising, etc. If it's not caused by a chronic nutritional deficiency or stressor, or a condition like hypothyroidism, it's usually a one-time event that clears up within 6 months.

If you're worried it might be the result of a nutritional issue, you should track your food for a week on a site like CRON-O-Meter to make sure you're not too low in calories, protein, fat, or missing some micronutrient.

Comment

Yep, Cronometer is great, I agree with that! I love how it tracks a lot more than just macronutrients. I also agree with fat that hair loss can be triggered by a lot of different things. The reason I think I had protein deficiency is because my toenails cracked and fell off, and my protein intake was very low. I was eating a low-fat-raw-vegan diet at the time, which meant uncooked veggies & fruit only. That said, keep an eye on what's happening and track your food, and it could clue you into what your particular issue might be.

Comment

Working...
                                X