Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going Pillow-less, anyone have any success?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going Pillow-less, anyone have any success?

So far I've been two weeks without a pillow. Some nights, good, some nights bad, but for the most part I have no complaint. This week I think I'll try my pillow again and see how my body compares. I definitely think I fall asleep easier without it, but time and experimentation will tell.

Same here! I stopped using my $100 Tempur Pedic pillow as an experiment because I would wake up with frequent neck/headaches. Pillow gone and feeling much better.

Comment

Any particular positions you sleep in? I have been sleeping on my side with my bottom leg out and my top bent over, and my hand supporting my head.

Comment

I'm a stomach sleeper and am so much more comfortable without a pillow! I sleep better every night and no more sore neck in the morning.

Comment

I prefer to sleep hanging & upside down, so the transition to pillow-less has been a breeze.

Comment

Originally posted by jennf View Post
            I'm a stomach sleeper and am so much more comfortable without a pillow! I sleep better every night and no more sore neck in the morning.
            +1. No pillow. Belly sleeper here!

Comment

I've been wondering the merits of sleeping with a pillow. Clearly our ancestors would have never used one, though they may have used some sort of softer covering for the ground (animal hide etc). I have one of those "super good for your neck, 100% guarnteed best sleep ever" pillows.
              http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

Less pillow is more. I tossed the tempurpedic. I like a very thin feather pillow I can use to ball under my hands to support my head. , I sleep only side knees bent, lower arm under my head upper arm wonders from between knees the under face. Legs are hooked at the feet top ankle under bottom.
                Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

Comment

Pillows give me a head and neck ache and have forever. I tend to start on my stomach, like others. The only time I use a fat pillow is when I am sick, as in 3 or 4 of them piled up so I can sleep at around a 40 degree angle for snot drainage and the like. I have a collection of pillows from Germany, they are incredibly thin, and I can sleep on those, but only one at a time.

If you have been using a fat one, I suggest transitioning to a thin one before ditching it altogether. If you want to try something really hippy, try a buckwheat pillow. They are filled with buckwheat hulls. They sleep much cooler around the head and I love them. The last one I had, my mom stole. Well, not actually stole, but she made those googly-mama-eyes at me and I let her have it.
                  I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

I can't sleep with a pillow now. If I try it feels like I am hyperextending my nexk when I'm lying on my back.
                    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                    bloodorchid is always right

Comment

I usually get a sore neck and back when I sleep with a pillow. I usually ditch the pillow and either sleep on my stomach (prefered) or occasionally I sleep on my back with a pillow under my knees, which makes this position a million times more comfortable.

However, my dad (who has sleep apnea and just did a sleep study) found out that apnea is a huge problem when sleeping on one's back, so he's convincing me not to sleep on my back anymore (I do snore significantly more when I sleep on my back). He's convinced me to try sleeping on my side more, which I can only do with a seriously beefy pillow...so now I kind of go back and forth between pillow/no pillow.

Would love to hear from people with snoring/apnea issues, and how they sleep most comfortably.

Comment

Isn't it kind of weird to change your sleeping habits based on something that no one can ever know? I imagine this is pretty individual. If no pillow works for you, it's probably because of the way you are built combined with the position you find most comfortable to sleep in. Not because nobody had a pillow 10,000 years ago. I sleep best with a memory foam pillow and on a 4" thick memory foam mattress pad. Like sleeping in a cloud. No back or hip problems at all after those changes. And I am thinking our ancestors did not have access to memory foam, but they didn't have access to antibiotics, either. Or cars. Too bad for them; I am keeping the memory foam, the modern medicine and the car.

Comment

When I hiked the Pacific Crest Trail (3000 miles, 6 months or so) I had no pillow or bed. Just a 3/8" closed-cell foam pad on the ground and a sleeping quilt (bottomless down sleeping bag). I did not dig out a hip hole or arrange my things to form a bed or anything. I would attempt to raise my feet or knees but whatever I used would eventually move or flatten. Sometimes I would use my paperback book as a pillow, but I didn't always have one and it usually got moved out of the way at some point in the night if I did. It took a while, but I figured out how to sleep on my side without a pillow. I had to arrange my hips just so and I usually put my hands under my cheeks, prayer-style. Mostly I slept on my back because it was the only position where I wouldn't drool all over everything. Drooling onto closed cell foam or nylon fabric and down is really unpleasant. The worst is when the drool actually pools in the corners of my eyes. Don't know nothing about apnea but lots of problems with drool. I use a pillow now at home mostly for drool. Sorry that's so gross, but if you know how to stop the drooling, please let me know. It's been a life-long bother.
                          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by isbolick View Post
                            Isn't it kind of weird to change your sleeping habits based on something that no one can ever know? I imagine this is pretty individual. If no pillow works for you, it's probably because of the way you are built combined with the position you find most comfortable to sleep in. Not because nobody had a pillow 10,000 years ago. I sleep best with a memory foam pillow and on a 4" thick memory foam mattress pad. Like sleeping in a cloud. No back or hip problems at all after those changes. And I am thinking our ancestors did not have access to memory foam, but they didn't have access to antibiotics, either. Or cars. Too bad for them; I am keeping the memory foam, the modern medicine and the car.
                            Exactly. I <3 my Tempurpedic and its pillows.

Comment

I've been sleeping with a buckwheat pillow for a while. And our "bed" is just an extra-firm 2" natural latex mattress topper on the floor. It's very comfortable.

I might try going without a pillow for back-sleeping, though if I sleep on my side a thick pillow is essential or I wake up with a horrible crick in my neck--wide shoulders do not allow for a neutral spine when sleeping on the side without a pillow.
                              Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X