No announcement yet.

Christian/Creation PB followers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm an atheist, so PB doesn't conflict with my views in any way.

Comment

The old classification schemes that put humans in a separate group from the other apes were based on our obvious morphological differences leading scientists to assume that the evolutionary separation must have been further back in time than it actually was, and that the other great apes must be more closely related to each other than to us. But modern genetic techniques have shown that to be false.

Bingo. When you share 96% of your DNA with chimpanzees, it is a little disingenuous to pretend that we are not some form of ape.

Comment

I try my best to follow the teachings of Christ, so PB doesn't conflict with my views in any way.
        Female, age 51, 5' 9"
        SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
        2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Comment

Originally posted by tomi View Post
          I'll bet you are wishing there was a "delete this thread" option!

I've been a Christian for nearly 40 years....... and I believe what the Bible says. Plain and simple. I eat this way because its healthy, not because I want to get back to my "caveman" ways. I'm sure when God created Adam and Eve they didn't have a McDonalds or a Supermarket to find their food. They hunted - and gathered!!!! Adam and Eve (IMO) are the original cave people.

Have we evolved since Adam and Eve? What does it matter?

Is the earth 6000 years old or 6 millions years old? What does it matter?

Will finding the answers to either of those questions make life in the here and now any different? Nope...........

So, why debate it? Believe whatever you want - in the end we'll all find out who was right.

~sigh~ you had me at "delete this thread!" lol yes, I was just looking to see if any born again, elect of God were on here. .

Seriously though, I don't care about the debate... It just suprises me when intelligent adults can't just answer a question and stay on topic. I mean if I asked what are all yalls beliefs (hush, I'm from the south), then sure, bring on the debate. But this also happened on the PB christian thread that I found (after starting this thread like a dummy).
          Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgiaPeach View Post
            I should have also specified that by evolution, I meant lack of a creator as it's origin.
            I think those are two different ideas still. But I'm a little... odd, theologically speaking.
            Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputina View Post
              Your dog is named Zeus? Cute!
              Yes, but I can't take the credit --- he was 9 months old when we got him. Isn't he adorable!??
              1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
              2. Eat to heal
              3. Move to live
              4. Embrace today
              5. Live with intention
              6. Respect my body
              7. Cultivate joy
              8. Find my passion
              9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

Ooops I must have asked the question the wrong way... Looks like I said, "would someone debate creation vs evolution?"
                Okay, I'll bite this way...

I follow the PB for health reasons.

Since I have daughters with grain issues and I never made it a secret, the folks at church would come to me and ask me what I thought of this or that verse from the Book of Mormon (now you know my earlier religious affiliation) because they were having health difficulties that they were zeroing in on and appeared to be grain-based. It was truly a struggle to try to reconcile the references to grains (like Doctrine and Covenants 89:16 "All grain is good for the food of man; as also the fruit of the vine; that which yieldeth fruit, whether in the ground or above the ground -") with what my daughters would go through when eating them, especially as at that time I was a card-carrying all-the-details-included believer of my chosen church.

Years on, I am finally getting around to ditching grains for my own health, despite Scripture references (including ones from the Holy Bible) that really seem to indicate otherwise.

GeorgiaPeach - I saw your post on the other older Christian PB thread. There is a lot there. I didn't read all of it, but got through the first several pages. I think that discussion is what you really wanted to revive, and the pages are very interesting. But don't be too hard on the folks here - whenever the words "evolution" and "creationist" and "Christians" and "PB" appear all together... well...
                I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Originally posted by tomi View Post
                  Yes, but I can't take the credit --- he was 9 months old when we got him. Isn't he adorable!??
                  Awww! He is adorable, I love hounds!

Comment

Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
                    GeorgiaPeach - I saw your post on the other older Christian PB thread. There is a lot there. I didn't read all of it, but got through the first several pages. I think that discussion is what you really wanted to revive, and the pages are very interesting. But don't be too hard on the folks here - whenever the words "evolution" and "creationist" and "Christians" and "PB" appear all together... well...

I know... I used the wrong bait huh?

Comment

Originally posted by isbolick View Post
                      The old classification schemes that put humans in a separate group from the other apes were based on our obvious morphological differences leading scientists to assume that the evolutionary separation must have been further back in time than it actually was, and that the other great apes must be more closely related to each other than to us. But modern genetic techniques have shown that to be false.

Bingo. When you share 96% of your DNA with chimpanzees, it is a little disingenuous to pretend that we are not some form of ape.
                      Yeah but it's the differences that count, and we get to do the classifying. : P

Tongue totally in cheek.
                      5' 9" 47 YO F
                      PB start June 2, 2012
                      Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)
                      Current deadlift 245 lbs, squat 165 lbs, bench press 135 lbs

PB Journal

Comment

It just suprises me when intelligent adults can't just answer a question and stay on topic.

GerogiaPeach, I know that you must know that the reality is that this often does not happen in other threads either. In face to face conversations that same thing happens. Don't worry about it. I have been a member at other forums before and I am always surprised how generally tolerant people are here of different views. Sure we think different things, but later we'll all debate the benefits of coconut oil...
                        Female, age 51, 5' 9"
                        SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
                        2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Comment

Originally posted by jojohaligo View Post
                          Sure we think different things, but later we'll all debate the benefits of coconut oil...
                          You know, I think that is exactly why I love coming here so much!

Thank you for a great line!

Dark chocolate helps, too, when enthusiasm is flagging from trying to herd cats...
                          I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Originally posted by jojohaligo View Post
                            GerogiaPeach, I know that you must know that the reality is that this often does not happen in other threads either. In face to face conversations that same thing happens. Don't worry about it. I have been a member at other forums before and I am always surprised how generally tolerant people are here of different views. Sure we think different things, but later we'll all debate the benefits of coconut oil...
                            Someone called me an idealist once. maybe I'm a bit OCD or maybe I compartmentalize too much? Ah, I'll lighten up some day.

Comment

Originally posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
                              Paleo seems to make sense from an evolutionary standpoint. Most of what is sold in the grocery stores didn't even exist 30 years ago, let alone 30,000 years ago. It seems we keep creating crap to put in our mouths.
                              Agreed. Coming from an atheist.

Comment

The problem, as I see it, is that this approach to health and wellness makes extensive use of scientific inquiry. It requires the use of a scientific mindset. Faith is an unwavering, unconditional, belief. Evolution PREDICTS that this way of eating will work best. Paleo/Primal can be viewed as further supporting discoveries. The problem with religion (by which I mean the belief in any sort of a creator), is that no real reason is given for why anything should be as it is. It is merely "god's will, and you'll be damned if you question it!"
                                If Earth were only 6000 years old, and all the creationist psuedo-science true, then why would eliminating grains be beneficial? If evolution had taken place so rapidly, then why haven't we adapted to neolithic foods? Why aren't we adapting to HFCS now? The answers to the question about our origin/evolution ARE important, and, to those who claim they don't care, yes you do. What else gives you a desire to "have faith?" Are you afraid, perhaps? If religion requires you to alter your way of thinking, WORSHIP an entity, and instruct you children in its' ways, then isn't it important enough to MAKE SURE that you aren't just making a fool or yourself? I have seen and heard of people becoming very impassioned about faith, be hateful, self-deprecating (as is often the case in worship music), irrational, even murderous. To me, it is as absurd as one child stabbing another over whether or not Rudolph flies every Christmas.
                                So, to kinda stay on topic, I think that those who eath paleo/primal, yet are Christians (or Muslims, or Jews, or Pagans) are contradicting themselves.

Comment

Working...
                                X