Christian/Creation PB followers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GeorgiaPeach View Post
    Just out of curiosity, do any of you not believe in evolution and follow PB and Paleo for the health and other scientific support behind the diet and lifestyle? Christians, creationist, etc.
    In all seriousness, It's difficult for many Christians to answer your question because Christianity and Evolutionary theory are not mutually exclusive to many of faith. my mother-in-law, a reverend in the UCC, believes this. Many believe that there was a catalyst to Earth's creation, and even many scientists call this catalyst God. Have you read The God Theory," by astrophysicist Bernard Haisch? He is a former seminarian, who argues that God and Evolution can co-exist.
    http://www.thegodtheory.com/

Comment

Rasputina, God and evolution can absolutely co-exist. I find it terribly frustrating when people act as if believing in a God negates a belief in natural selection and evolutionary change. It is bizarre to me to pick and choose through the Bible which parts will be taken verbatim and which with a grain of salt. If you don't believe that I should head next door and stone my neighbors to death for wearing cloth of mixed fibers or that it's Ok for me to have slaves (as long as they aren't Canadian or Mexican) and you think it's OK for people to get divorced...why take Genesis (Old Testament) as, well, the gospel?

Comment

Originally posted by isbolick View Post
        Maybe sometime, waaaaaaay out there in time, we all will agree on one, definitive answer. Since that time is not yet, I'll let everybody, no matter where they stand in this debate, have their opinions. It will all eventually shake out.

I don't think we have to. Agree, that is. Belief is intensely personal, no matter what the beliefs are. No one believes precisely the same way; not creationists or atheists. That is why I object to religion being in public schools, etc. My faith, or lack, is my business. The key isn't to agree, but to be exactly where you are...allowing each individual to hold their own beliefs without prejudice.
        Oh my I need some bacon.... I keep thinking I'm on the wrong thread. This is not a debate thread. Maybe I should have set up a poll instead? No, next time I will listen to justyouraveragecaveman. You were so right!
        Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

Comment

Originally posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
          I believe we have changed over time of course, but I don't believe that we were once apes. I also don't believe that the universe just happened to spit out a planet within a relatively narrow livable band a certain distance from a star. I have faith that God created everything I see and don't see, for reasons that I don't know or need to know. Are there more planets in a livable band elsewhere in the galaxy? I don't know, it's none of business really, maybe I'll ask one day.
          Good topic for a thread, but I fear that it will be short-lived.
          What he said!
          1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
          2. Eat to heal
          3. Move to live
          4. Embrace today
          5. Live with intention
          6. Respect my body
          7. Cultivate joy
          8. Find my passion
          9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

Rasputina, God and evolution can absolutely co-exist. I find it terribly frustrating when people act as if believing in a God negates a belief in natural selection and evolutionary change. It is bizarre to me to pick and choose through the Bible which parts will be taken verbatim and which with a grain of salt. If you don't believe that I should head next door and stone my neighbors to death for wearing cloth of mixed fibers or that it's Ok for me to have slaves (as long as they aren't Canadian or Mexican) and you think it's OK for people to get divorced...why take Genesis (Old Testament) as, well, the gospel?
            Yes, I just stated that God and Evolution can co-exist. I'm confused. Did you think I meant that they couldn't?

Comment

I should have also specified that by evolution, I meant lack of a creator as it's origin. Things evolve even today...

Comment

I should have also specified that by evolution, I meant lack of a creator as it's origin. Things evolve even today...
                By creator, you mean the dogmatic, fundamentalist version of God that sends angels to smite babes and shows up as burning bushes, God?

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputina View Post
                  Yes, I just stated that God and Evolution can co-exist. I'm confused. Did you think I meant that they couldn't?
                  I was agreeing with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputina View Post
                    By creator, you mean the dogmatic, fundamentalist version of God that sends angels to smite babes and shows up as burning bushes, God?
                    Yep, that one.

Comment

I was agreeing with you.
                      Good times!

Comment

Yep, that one.
                        Oh, well, when I was in Kentucky, or maybe it was Florida, we came across this fundamentalist Christian dinosaur sculpture park. I was so excited! Then, we noticed the dinos were hanging out with cavemen... and mammoths... laughter and goofy-ass posed pics ensued

Comment

Oh my I need some bacon.... I keep thinking I'm on the wrong thread. This is not a debate thread. Maybe I should have set up a poll instead? No, next time I will listen to justyouraveragecaveman. You were so right!
                          Pretty much. While I might be new here, I have been alive for awhile. And having been alive for awhile and using the internet for awhile, too, I know you can't bring up creation vs. otherwise without people seguing into their own personal beliefs. Instead of apparently getting miffed that the thread is doing exactly what anyone could have reasonably expected, why not just ride it and see where it goes?

Comment

I'll bet you are wishing there was a "delete this thread" option!

I've been a Christian for nearly 40 years....... and I believe what the Bible says. Plain and simple. I eat this way because its healthy, not because I want to get back to my "caveman" ways. I'm sure when God created Adam and Eve they didn't have a McDonalds or a Supermarket to find their food. They hunted - and gathered!!!! Adam and Eve (IMO) are the original cave people.

Have we evolved since Adam and Eve? What does it matter?

Is the earth 6000 years old or 6 millions years old? What does it matter?

Will finding the answers to either of those questions make life in the here and now any different? Nope...........

So, why debate it? Believe whatever you want - in the end we'll all find out who was right.
                            1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                            2. Eat to heal
                            3. Move to live
                            4. Embrace today
                            5. Live with intention
                            6. Respect my body
                            7. Cultivate joy
                            8. Find my passion
                            9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

Originally posted by tomi View Post
                              I'll bet you are wishing there was a "delete this thread" option!

I've been a Christian for nearly 40 years....... and I believe what the Bible says. Plain and simple. I eat this way because its healthy, not because I want to get back to my "caveman" ways. I'm sure when God created Adam and Eve they didn't have a McDonalds or a Supermarket to find their food. They hunted - and gathered!!!! Adam and Eve (IMO) are the original cave people.

Have we evolved since Adam and Eve? What does it matter?

Is the earth 6000 years old or 6 millions years old? What does it matter?

Will finding the answers to either of those questions make life in the here and now any different? Nope...........

So, why debate it? Believe whatever you want - in the end we'll all find out who was right.
                              Your dog is named Zeus? Cute!

Comment

Originally posted by June68 View Post
                                That's a good one is it? I've read The God Delusion and The Greatest Show on Earth, but not that one. Maybe I'll give it a go. I always have to leave a good long time between his books though; he's so damn smug. He's good at explaining his science, but damn he thinks that there is nothing in the universe that Richard Dawkins cannot comprehend. Funny.
                                It is a very, very good book. Definitely worth a read. And yeah, really smart people get smug sometimes, it's annoying but it's worth it when they have good ideas that you want to download into yo' brainz.

Originally posted by June68 View Post
                                And so far as taxonomy goes, it seems most folks do not label humans as apes, but rather put apes and humans in the same hominid bucket. At least as far as my intertubes searches could find.
                                I think you mean hominoids? Because that's just the fancy word for "ape". Humans and the other great apes definitely all go in the hominoid bucket. It's the hominid bucket that only currently holds humans (though there were other members of the group in prehistoric times that have died out). Hominid is a sub-category of hominoid.

The old classification schemes that put humans in a separate group from the other apes were based on our obvious morphological differences leading scientists to assume that the evolutionary separation must have been further back in time than it actually was, and that the other great apes must be more closely related to each other than to us. But modern genetic techniques have shown that to be false.
                                Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X