Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think Matt Stone is dangerous

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I think Matt Stone is dangerous

    He has a video up saying essentially type II diabetes is caused by stress. Whatever. He then goes on to prescribe if you are type II diabetic you should eat lots of carbs and sleep. That is just downright insane for an individual who has impaired glucose control and almost certainly a pancreas with diminished beta cell capacity. Carb loading for a diabetic will elevate their sugar. Seriously that is just downright criminal to prescribe this garbage to type II diabetics. The guy is a nut case.

    link
    Last edited by Moochy; 06-21-2012, 03:34 PM.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

    Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food.” Anthony Bourdain

    and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

  • #2
    Link?
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

    Comment


    • #3
      I'd never heard of Matt Stone before now so got curious, googled and found this link:
      Glucose Clearance – 180 Degree Health

      Better minds here than mine can refute his logic, I just know I get fat eating carbs and I get skinnier not eating them. Um, and my A1C after four months on a CW healthy diet with lots of grains was borderline diabetic.
      My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57034.html

      "...since our orthodox theories have not saved us we may have to readjust them to bring them into harmony with Nature's laws. Nature must be obeyed, not orthodoxy." Weston A. Price

      Comment


      • #4
        Matt Stone isn't dangerous, stupid gullible blog-readers are
        “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

        Comment


        • #5
          I thought you were talking about the guy from South Park.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Moochy View Post
            He has a video up saying essentially type II diabetes is caused by stress. Whatever. He then goes on to prescribe if you are type II diabetic you should eat lots of carbs and sleep. That is just downright insane for an individual who has impaired glucose control and almost certainly a pancreas with diminished beta cell capacity. Carb loading for a diabetic will elevate their sugar. Seriously that is just downright criminal to prescribe this garbage to type II diabetics. The guy is a nut case.

            link
            He is dispensing HORRIBLE advice. This is akin to telling an anorexic that food-intake restriction is the road to recovery.

            Comment


            • #7
              I do find the "stress causing Type 2 Diabetes" part very interesting though. After running through all the different tests and researching possible causes for diabetics, my uncle's Type 2 Diabetes appears to have been solely caused by stress.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by wiltondeportes View Post
                I do find the "stress causing Type 2 Diabetes" part very interesting though. After running through all the different tests and researching possible causes for diabetics, my uncle's Type 2 Diabetes appears to have been solely caused by stress.
                How can you determine that your uncle's type II diabetes was caused by stress? I'm curious.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Rasputina View Post
                  How can you determine that your uncle's type II diabetes was caused by stress? I'm curious.
                  We read zillions of books, although he read more than me. He just didn't have any other risk factors. He's been into health for a long, long time.

                  Plus, he had stress in his life for about 10-15 years that was quite extreme at times. Death, worrying about his nephew who had crazy shit in his life (and he couldn't contact him), bankrupcty, violence from another one of his nephews, working nightshift as a prison guard and sometimes having to pull doubles (16 hour shifts) for a month at a time.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    A much better reasoning of various "stressors" that can cause insulin resistance/hyperinsulinemia... Paleo Diet, Inflammation and Metformin

                    Stone is a crock.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                      A much better reasoning of various "stressors" that can cause insulin resistance/hyperinsulinemia... Paleo Diet, Inflammation and Metformin

                      Stone is a crock.
                      Whatever. We're all saying the same thing in the end: Modern life is screwing our health. Do as we would have done a while ago, and we will be healthy.

                      Until I develop a disease, I am not going to be too worried about nutritionism. I just prefer to live my life without too much structure.

                      I do like learning and researching about it all, of course.
                      Last edited by wiltondeportes; 06-21-2012, 06:05 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I find it funny that Matt Stoner's point is to be "unbiased about dogmatic and restrictive diets". But from sifting through the crap that is his blog (it's very difficult to do if you're a somewhat rational human being) this seems more like a cult of a bunch of strange, confused individuals that any other Vegan forum I've stalked for shits and giggles.
                        Seriously scary stuff.

                        At first I thought it was a spoof blog. "Hey, look at my success at keeping my body warm after eating a bunch of oatmeal, potatoes topped with butter and donuts!" Hahah funny.
                        Then I was concerned...

                        I feel like he's not telling us the whole story. Why did Paleo suddenly fail to work for this guy? I know he talks about restriction to be a cause for heightened cortisol (duh) but he himself says he didn't exercise and didn't count calories and viola!
                        Where was the restriction? Oh woe that is me bountiful fresh berries, butter, cream and bacon... the deprivation! Oh the horror!

                        Then I started reading his blog with genuine interest, I'm always open for new revelations (I even tolerate Jack Kruze, who sometimes spouts erratic advice; his new thing is eating a pound of seafood every day. But his are actually based on his vast knowledge and practice, not from reading "50 books a year" *ooh wow*...) I was open minded but the more I read the more convinced I became that HED has fried his brain.
                        And like his diet, his tasteless humour is hard to stomach (pun intended).
                        I guess you have to buy his 209382309 ebooks to find out.

                        Paleo for Population Control! – 180 Degree Health

                        Diets are Like New Girlfriends – 180 Degree Health
                        -- I guess free love is in accordance with this not-at-all dogmatic lifestyle ;/

                        Anyway, to actually find out what his premise is you'd need to buy his 23098193 books, and I'm well-stocked on toilet paper.
                        "The penis is the male animal-flower, a soft-firm dildo, a warm dream."
                        -Raymond Peat, PhD

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Fletch666 View Post
                          I thought you were talking about the guy from South Park.
                          he's the only Matt Stone that I care about

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I'm reading posts about it on FreeTheAnimal and Dr Eades' blog... that Bruce guy is so creepy Y_Y
                            He keeps saying "join us. joooooooin usssss" *psycho shower scene music*
                            "The penis is the male animal-flower, a soft-firm dildo, a warm dream."
                            -Raymond Peat, PhD

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by NoSaladWithoutMeat View Post
                              I find it funny that Matt Stoner's point is to be "unbiased about dogmatic and restrictive diets". But from sifting through the crap that is his blog (it's very difficult to do if you're a somewhat rational human being) this seems more like a cult of a bunch of strange, confused individuals that any other Vegan forum I've stalked for shits and giggles.
                              Seriously scary stuff.
                              What's it to you? His site has success stories just like this one. It's more about healing and nourishing the body than it is about losing fat, because any extreme dieting is bound to do some damage, and very few people can be trusted to not take a diet ideology to extremes.

                              If your notion of supreme health is bound up in the modern image of the man with the chiseled abs, then that's quite narrowminded. Modern food has its problems, but that doesn't mean that it is completely useless in all aspects. Like I said before, Stone doesn't post things with the intention of having followers who adopt his musings to the letter. He posts different viewpoints to consider and encourages people to get untangled from dogmatic diets and question everything. How is that scary? Do you feel safer if all health bloggers err on the side of CW (which seems to have shifted to the paleo side) and try to hold the hands of their readers as though they were children?

                              Oh woe that is me bountiful fresh berries, butter, cream and bacon...
                              By the way, only one of those things is "paleo," and two even fall in the gray area of "primal."
                              You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X