Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fear of flying?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by friesonmyburger View Post
    I have more of a fear of crashing. The flying part is no sweat.
    And most are not so lucky to crash.

    Comment


    • #17
      It's like the World End.

      I always tell the People, "you're not so lucky that the world will end!"

      Look, guy, plane won't crash, and if it does, well, you won't know it, WILL YOU??

      Don't need to read a book to understand that. Just read the Dado.

      Comment


      • #18
        2 cents worth of advice from someone who fly's a corporate jet for a living: Fear of flying has a lot to do with a lack of control over your fate because flying isn't natural for us . Add to that a lack of understanding for the science of flight and bingo - anxiety.

        The engineering incorporated into modern airliners is amazing. Systems redundency is to the point that no single failure in any critical system is really that bad. For example, in the jet I fly, there are four sources of electricity plus batteries, three hydraulic systems, backup control cables to the flight controls, all in addition to the obvious redundency of two engines.

        I spend a lot of time flying over the remotest parts of this planet; my biggest concern out there is a medical emergency not a mechanical failure.

        Turbulence may be uncomfortable, but it is rarely dangerous. Two biggest causes of turbulence are a big change in air temperature over a short distance or a big change in wind speed over a short distance. Sometimes, we know about those conditions beforehand and can avoid those areas, sometimes we don't.

        That book may help. If you get to the point you feel up to it, a "discovery flight" at your local airport in a small airplane with an instructor may help a lot. You might have to search a bit for an instructor with the right demeanor. You want someone who will take a lot of time on the ground going over how the airplane works. I know that whenever we have a nervous flyer aboard, if I can convince them to join us in the cockpit to see how things are done, it always helps. Unfortunately, you can't do that in an airliner.

        I started flying small airplanes in high school. I wasn't old enough to drive yet, so I rode my bike to the airport. I'm still in love with it. I fly for free; I get paid to be away from home

        Good luck and let me know if I can answer any questions.

        Comment


        • #19
          What do you fly Jim? Citation?

          BTW I always figure you're more likely to bite the dust driving to the airport than you are after take off.
          "Go For Broke"
          Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
          Small Kine-168/9%
          Now- 200/8%
          Goal- 210/6%

          Comment


          • #20
            I used to have a terrible flight anxiety. A friend who is a physician finally talked me in to trying some lorazepam for flight. Damn that stuff is good. Even during terrible turbulence during and international flight over the ocean I had no problems. I kept thinking "wow, I should really be scared right now" but I wasn't.

            It works so well, that now a lot of time I don't even need to take it. Just knowing I have it in my bag in case i get nervous means I can work through it a little better.

            I'm not afraid of dieing. I just HATE the sensation of dropping during take-off, landing, and turbulence. It causes me to panic and want to scream running from the plane.
            Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

            http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Wanderlust View Post
              What do you fly Jim? Citation?

              BTW I always figure you're more likely to bite the dust driving to the airport than you are after take off.
              Gulfstream 550.

              newjet-1.jpg

              I think you're right about statistics; however, may not help someone with anxiety.

              Comment


              • #22
                On one of the first international flights I took travelling alone as a newly-minted adult, I didn't do too well. I could only sit there pretty rigid as we prepared for takeoff, with tears slowly running down the face (not due to homesickness - I was escaping from there!). This guy sitting next to me took one look at me and started talking. He talked for the better part of an hour. For the first few I thought he was obnoxious, but then I started paying attention. Turns out he was a factory owner from Bangladesh. He got his wallet out and produced some local currency - stuff had probably 8 or 9 different scripts on it, each of which he then expounded upon... official languages... history of India... his factory... and then I noticed we had long since been at cruising altitude.

                I sincerely thanked the old man (I was 18 at the time) - he had purposely distracted me. Can't say it will work for the kind of fears you all describe, but I was grateful for his help nonetheless.
                I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

                Comment


                • #23
                  moe. - Plane Crash - YouTube

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    You're in a hell of a lot more danger on you drive to the airport then you are on your flight. You think when you're in a car you're more in control, that's only an illusion developed from familiarity.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by mikebike View Post
                      You're in a hell of a lot more danger on you drive to the airport then you are on your flight. You think when you're in a car you're more in control, that's only an illusion developed from familiarity.
                      When you have a phobia it's not about what is rational. I am well aware that I am safe in the plane. My body just doesn't agree with me!
                      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

                      http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        EFT is great for clearing phobias, including fear of flying.
                        Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                        Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                        Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Jerseyjim, great you are sharing your knowledge on the topic! Can you enlighten me on the environmental-guilt-feelings i get besides the jibbery-jeets-i-am-up-in-the-sky-pleaaaase-land-safe-soon? I have to travel VERY frequently for my job and i am allowed to take a plane for shorter distances too, like Copenhagen - Cologne. This kind of distances have train alternatives in Europe, but sometimes my time is short or my colleagues respond annoyed when i decide to take a train instead of flying. Isn't there some research fund on alternative-to-kerosine sources i can donate to?

                          ETA: yes, i am a big softie sometimes, i know!
                          Last edited by halfbunny; 06-21-2012, 01:09 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by halfbunny View Post
                            Jerseyjim, great you are sharing your knowledge on the topic! Can you enlighten me on the environmental-guilt-feelings i get besides the jibbery-jeets-i-am-up-in-the-sky-pleaaaase-land-safe-soon? I have to travel VERY frequently for my job and i am allowed to take a plane for shorter distances too, like Copenhagen - Cologne. This kind of distances have train alternatives in Europe, but sometimes my time is short or my colleagues respond annoyed when i decide to take a train instead of flying. Isn't there some research fund on alternative-to-kerosine sources i can donate to?

                            ETA: yes, i am a big softie sometimes, i know!
                            You are quite welcome!

                            Halfbunny, I would prefer to steer away from an environmental discussion. Human-created climate change is a very touchy subject. I will say that you are the one who can put a value on your time. Well, apparently your coworkers put a value on it as well. IMHO, it is something better discussed in person over a bottle of wine!

                            Fire away with any and all safety or aviation related questions and I'll do my best.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Thanks! No i didn't mean the global warming thing (no opinion about that at all) just meant the substance of kerosine/ residu of process. But i realize its only a made-up argument by my mind, coming from fear and interest, as the residue is part of my job. What i wonder: if a combination of trouble occur while flying, lets say in the motor, would you prefer landing on water or on land surface? You always see the intro safety clips where the plane lands on water with inflated 'arms'.. I understand it depends on circumstances, but always wondered.. Would a plane sink quickly for example?

                              ETA: i realize my fear of flying is relative, because i do take a plane quite regularly for work. My tactic is just being really quiet, no mentioning fear to anyone i know etc

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by halfbunny View Post
                                Thanks! No i didn't mean the global warming thing (no opinion about that at all) just meant the substance of kerosine/ residu of process. But i realize its only a made-up argument by my mind, coming from fear and interest, as the residue is part of my job. What i wonder: if a combination of trouble occur while flying, lets say in the motor, would you prefer landing on water or on land surface? You always see the intro safety clips where the plane lands on water with inflated 'arms'.. I understand it depends on circumstances, but always wondered.. Would a plane sink quickly for example?

                                ETA: i realize my fear of flying is relative, because i do take a plane quite regularly for work. My tactic is just being really quiet, no mentioning fear to anyone i know etc
                                By residue, do you mean particulate matter from the exhaust? If so, jet engines produce a pretty clean burn due to the high temperatures inside the hot section of the engine. The jet I fly has a gauge that shows the temperature at the exhaust and typically we see 650*C+. Temps in the hotest section of the engine are a lot higher...1200*C if I recall correctly.

                                We'd always choose an emergency landing at an airport . However, if that were not possible, then a flat piece of ground with no obstructions, then water. For example, the jet that ditched in the Hudson River next to NYC a few years ago - it was water or city. The captain chose well!

                                An aircraft landed on water should float for a period of time (like it did in the above example). However, the time is very dependent on sea-state. Big waves means it will sink faster.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X