Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

are omega 3 fish oils really that healthy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • are omega 3 fish oils really that healthy?

    I've been arguing on another forum that fish oil is dangerous due to being a source of PUFA and therefore pro aging but no one seems to agree with me. I'm wondering if any long time fish oil users would like to step forward and tell us all the great things that fish oil has done for your health. Be specific.

  • #2
    Fish oil is great for anti-inflammatory purposes, but I disagree with mega-dosing it like some people suggest. It IS a PUFA as you say, and as such, is more readily subject to oxidizing. As you probably, know, for that reason, mega doses can be dangerous. Rather than worrying about getting large doses of it, just trying to balance it out with your omega-6 numbers is probably plenty.

    My opinion? There are those that do not get enough omega-3 fats in their diet, and there are those that get too MUCH omega-3 fat in their diet. It's all about balance.

    I found this link to have some interesting information on the topic:

    The Painful Truth About Omega 3 Fatty Acids
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

    Comment


    • #3
      The big reason that they are so popular is because people overload on o-6 and the o-3 counteracts the inflammation caused by the over abundance of the o-6.
      It's like if someone keeps kicking you in the ass. You put a pad in your pants to make it not hurt so much instead of just turning around and beating the shit out the person kicking you in the ass. They are still kicking you in the ass, it's just blunted some.
      People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by IcarianVX View Post
        The big reason that they are so popular is because people overload on o-6 and the o-3 counteracts the inflammation caused by the over abundance of the o-6.
        It's like if someone keeps kicking you in the ass. You put a pad in your pants to make it not hurt so much instead of just turning around and beating the shit out the person kicking you in the ass. They are still kicking you in the ass, it's just blunted some.
        !!

        I see this with my special-needs daughter. She has lived a strict diet for 6 years now that closely matches the Primal, but it didn't address the o-6 overload thing. THAT I learned from the Primal. Since I have been doing the Primal, and her diet is so close, I just adjusted her fats to match mine - easier cooking that way. She does a concentrated o-3 (Carlson's Super DHA) regimen several times per year to boost her verbal / language ability (study done that showed improvement of her specific neuro issues by doing this), which it does.

        So, I am steadily getting better at adjusting the fats in our daily food to align with Primal, she at the moment isn't on the DHA regimen, and - guess what?!?! - jump in verbal ability! Damn, if the Primal isn't right about the o-6 inflammation thing!

        (And I know this isn't just in my head. My daughter's speech therapist has her concentration in rare SLP diagnoses and has always been a hard-core, chart-everything-on-paper type. We have a gentle-ladies' agreement that I tell her absolutely nothing about dietary / supplement / whatever changes beforehand so SHE doesn't skew her own data (she comes to me when my daughter's usual learning / ability curve heads north OR dips south and then we discuss), and I NEVER change more than one, single thing at a time so we are able to accurately determine effect.)
        I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

        Comment


        • #5
          Eat fish, ditch the pills.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
            Eat fish, ditch the pills.
            Exactly, I don't understand why nearly everyone here takes fish oil. I love some daily fish
            well then

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm sceptical about the benefits of fish oil supplements and have never taken them, but I love eating oily fish almost daily. That's mostly wild alaskan salmon, but also trout and sea bass. I feel such a health boost from eating it and when I'm away from home and can't access much fresh oily fish I really feel it. I can't tolerate eating much tinned fish, unfortunately.
              F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
                I can't tolerate eating much tinned fish, unfortunately.
                I try to eat mostly fresh/frozen fish, but I do keep tins of King Oscar sardines at work as a snack. Just curious what the issue with canned fish is?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
                  I try to eat mostly fresh/frozen fish, but I do keep tins of King Oscar sardines at work as a snack. Just curious what the issue with canned fish is?
                  It's much higher in histamine and I have high levels and problems breaking it down. Histamine's what gives fish its fishy smell. I can't tolerate sardines and mackeral very well as they are higher in histamine.

                  I used to eat lots of tinned tuna and really miss it. I can eat it about once a week. I have to eat mostly fresh foods, and focus my fish intake on my evening meals as it can make me feel sleepy, induce an attack of cattarh or lower my blood pressure when consumed earlier in the day.

                  Nothing wrong with tinned fish for most folk though.
                  F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I noticed the difference in my skin within a week. I'm couldn't be bothered digging it up but their is vast research on the benefits on fish oil. Getting it from natural sources is obviously better but I don't like seafood besides a bit of salmon so I take CLO a few times a week.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
                      I'm sceptical about the benefits of fish oil supplements and have never taken them, but I love eating oily fish almost daily. That's mostly wild alaskan salmon, but also trout and sea bass. I feel such a health boost from eating it and when I'm away from home and can't access much fresh oily fish I really feel it. I can't tolerate eating much tinned fish, unfortunately.
                      I ate cold water fish pretty much daily throughout the 2000s, 2002-2012, a full 10 years. I believe consuming so much fish damaged my thyroid, sped up perimenopause and wrecked me health. Have just discontinued recently and feel better than I have in years; will likely never eat salmon or sardines regularly again.
                      The Painful Truth About Omega 3 Fatty Acids

                      Omega 3 fatty acids do have anti-inflammatory effects in the body, but these anti-inflammatory effects are short lived. And there may be long term pro-inflammatory effects associated with their consumption.

                      I agree.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Just found this:
                        Re: Omega-3: The killer oils

                        Only by spending billions of dollars has Agri-business been able to
                        convince us that soy, phytoestrogens, and omega 3 (as well as omega 6)
                        fatty acids are good for us, when in fact ...

                        THEY ARE THE MOST DEADLY OF ANTI-METABOLITES.

                        Several months ago, after years of going in circles regarding omega
                        3 fatty acids, I finally did what I should have done years earlier -
                        an exhaustive literature search on ALA, EPA, and DHA. The results of
                        that search left me red faced with embarrassment. All I can do now is
                        face the truth, and pass that truth along to you. And that truth is,
                        quite simply, that ...

                        OMEGA 3 OILS ARE EVEN MORE DAMAGING
                        THAN OMEGA 6 OILS.

                        Re: Omega-3: The killer oils

                        IT IS THE OXIDIZED OMEGA 3 FATTY ACIDS
                        THAT HAVE THE ANTI-INFLAMMATORY EFFECTS.

                        The obvious problem here is that these anti-inflammatory effects
                        are short-lived, while the oxidative free radical damage that ensues
                        has devastating long term consequences. In experiments that last only
                        weeks to months, seemingly beneficial anti-inflammatory effects can be
                        documented. However, in these short-term studies there is no time for
                        the experimental subjects to show the immuno-suppressive damage, lipid
                        peroxidative damage, light sensitizing damage, anti-mitochondrial
                        effects, depressed aerobic energy production, lipofuscin age pigment
                        production, liver damage, brain damage, and metastatic cancer that
                        result from long-term intake of fish oils and other sources of omega
                        free fatty acids.

                        Re: Omega-3: The killer oils

                        “WHAT ABOUT THE ESKIMO DIET?!!”

                        Everyone “knows” (thanks to the PUFA propaganda machine) that
                        Eskimos had no cardiovascular disease, little cancer, no arthritis, no
                        tooth decay, no allergies, etc., etc., and that their good health
                        resulted from a diet of salmon, seal, and whale --- all high in EPA
                        and DHA. [The propaganda machine ignores that there were many
                        traditional cultures similarly free of degenerative diseases that
                        never saw a salmon, a seal, or a whale, and that consumed no more
                        omega 3 fatty acids than the typical modern American slob. ( --- The
                        best nutrition book ever written is Weston Price’s “Nutrition and
                        Physical Degeneration.” Everyone should read it three times --- at age
                        12, at age 17, then again when ready to have a family.)] Let us expose
                        this later vintage health food industry mythology for the fraud that
                        it is.

                        The truth is, Eskimos were free of many degenerative diseases in
                        spite of, not because of, their damaging n-3 intake. In fact, the n-3s
                        are the only negative in an otherwise perfect (for their metabolic
                        type) diet.

                        Claiming that fish oil was responsible for the Eskimos freedom
                        from degenerative disease is even more absurd than the claim that
                        yogurt was the key to the Hunza’s longevity. Salmon, a reasonable food
                        in moderation, if part of an eating plan extraordinary in every other
                        way, comes with a huge warning label: “MAY CONTAIN AS MUCH AS 10%
                        OMEGA 3 FATTY ACIDS --- known to accelerate aging and increase the
                        risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer.”

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by fiercehunter View Post
                          Just found this:
                          Re: Omega-3: The killer oils

                          Only by spending billions of dollars has Agri-business been able to
                          convince us that soy, phytoestrogens, and omega 3 (as well as omega 6)
                          fatty acids are good for us, when in fact ...

                          THEY ARE THE MOST DEADLY OF ANTI-METABOLITES.

                          Several months ago, after years of going in circles regarding omega
                          3 fatty acids, I finally did what I should have done years earlier -
                          an exhaustive literature search on ALA, EPA, and DHA. The results of
                          that search left me red faced with embarrassment. All I can do now is
                          face the truth, and pass that truth along to you. And that truth is,
                          quite simply, that ...

                          OMEGA 3 OILS ARE EVEN MORE DAMAGING
                          THAN OMEGA 6 OILS.

                          Re: Omega-3: The killer oils

                          IT IS THE OXIDIZED OMEGA 3 FATTY ACIDS
                          THAT HAVE THE ANTI-INFLAMMATORY EFFECTS.

                          The obvious problem here is that these anti-inflammatory effects
                          are short-lived, while the oxidative free radical damage that ensues
                          has devastating long term consequences. In experiments that last only
                          weeks to months, seemingly beneficial anti-inflammatory effects can be
                          documented. However, in these short-term studies there is no time for
                          the experimental subjects to show the immuno-suppressive damage, lipid
                          peroxidative damage, light sensitizing damage, anti-mitochondrial
                          effects, depressed aerobic energy production, lipofuscin age pigment
                          production, liver damage, brain damage, and metastatic cancer that
                          result from long-term intake of fish oils and other sources of omega
                          free fatty acids.

                          Re: Omega-3: The killer oils

                          “WHAT ABOUT THE ESKIMO DIET?!!”

                          Everyone “knows” (thanks to the PUFA propaganda machine) that
                          Eskimos had no cardiovascular disease, little cancer, no arthritis, no
                          tooth decay, no allergies, etc., etc., and that their good health
                          resulted from a diet of salmon, seal, and whale --- all high in EPA
                          and DHA. [The propaganda machine ignores that there were many
                          traditional cultures similarly free of degenerative diseases that
                          never saw a salmon, a seal, or a whale, and that consumed no more
                          omega 3 fatty acids than the typical modern American slob. ( --- The
                          best nutrition book ever written is Weston Price’s “Nutrition and
                          Physical Degeneration.” Everyone should read it three times --- at age
                          12, at age 17, then again when ready to have a family.)] Let us expose
                          this later vintage health food industry mythology for the fraud that
                          it is.

                          The truth is, Eskimos were free of many degenerative diseases in
                          spite of, not because of, their damaging n-3 intake. In fact, the n-3s
                          are the only negative in an otherwise perfect (for their metabolic
                          type) diet.

                          Claiming that fish oil was responsible for the Eskimos freedom
                          from degenerative disease is even more absurd than the claim that
                          yogurt was the key to the Hunza’s longevity. Salmon, a reasonable food
                          in moderation, if part of an eating plan extraordinary in every other
                          way, comes with a huge warning label: “MAY CONTAIN AS MUCH AS 10%
                          OMEGA 3 FATTY ACIDS --- known to accelerate aging and increase the
                          risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer.”
                          Isn't it about balance between 3 and 6?
                          well then

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X