Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just convinced my wife to go primal. But, she has restrictions. (religious)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just convinced my wife to go primal. But, she has restrictions. (religious)

I recently (approx 8 months now) learned and embraced the Primal life style and really enjoy it! And I finally convinced my wife that she needs to embark on this journey with me. However, she only eats chicken and chicken eggs. I am struggling with finding alternatives that remain Primal/ Paleo without burning her out on chicken. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jarred

She might get more adventurous as time goes by. Two months ago, I was a hardcore vegan and had been for 12 years. Today I eat eggs, fish, chicken, and just a few days ago tried steak for the first time. So just be patient, and try to use lots of different spices and veggies so she'll feel like she has a nice variety of dishes to choose from. :-)

Comment

oh, I just noticed that in your title you mentioned they are religious restrictions, so her getting more adventurous may not happen. So yeah, I'd just look into recipes that use the items she can eat in lots of different ways. There's plenty of variety if you use spices and various veggies.

Comment

Originally posted by jhailey View Post
        I recently (approx 8 months now) learned and embraced the Primal life style and really enjoy it! And I finally convinced my wife that she needs to embark on this journey with me. However, she only eats chicken and chicken eggs. I am struggling with finding alternatives that remain Primal/ Paleo without burning her out on chicken. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jarred
        Hey, Jhailey.

Don't know what religions restrict one to chicken and eggs, but how about other poultry (duck, goose) game (pheasant, partridge, quail, duck...), sea-food...

peace
        All the best!

PDJ

The quieter you become the more you're able to hear.

Mawlana Jalaludin Rumi

Comment

I was also curious about this. I think the suggestion for other fowl is a good one. I can't currently think of any religious restrictions that would exclude all fowl with exception to chicken.

Comment

If poultry/fowl and eggs aren't a problem look into:

Duck and duck eggs
            Quail and quail eggs
            Goose and goose eggs
            Ostrich and ostrich eggs

Just a few ideas! It may be that some of those are too exotic for her though. One step at a time!
            "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

i know some religions reject shellfish, but not fin fish. she won't eat this either?
              As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Thanks for the replies! She is Sikh from the Punjab region of India. Which is normally based on being vegetarian. However, a lot of the people in the culture have accepted chicken for meals on a sparingly basis. This is the only meat that is acceptable according to her and her family. I've tried telling her that turkeys are just big chickens but, she isn't buying it. Maybe, in time, I will convince her to try new things but, it isn't looking good. I think I will try the different preparation method as suggested above.

Comment

As much as I love me some ruminants, if you held a gun to my head and forced me to, I could get by just fine on chicken and eggs. You can easily rely on things like yogurt, cottage cheese, paneer, goat cheese, whey shakes, etc. as backup protein.
                  “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Comment

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
                    Well, your options are:
                    1. Eggs only
                    2. No meat/eggs
                    3. Chicken only
                    4. Chicken and Eggs

That seems like a fairly good amount of variety. Is she ok with butter as well? Because if so, I think you're golden just alternating through those.

You can make a laksa, or butter chicken, or a roast, or a stir fry, or a pie etc etc etc. And that's just chicken based dishes.
                    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                    bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Thanks for the replies! She is Sikh from the Punjab region of India. Which is normally based on being vegetarian. However, a lot of the people in the culture have accepted chicken for meals on a sparingly basis. This is the only meat that is acceptable according to her and her family. I've tried telling her that turkeys are just big chickens but, she isn't buying it. Maybe, in time, I will convince her to try new things but, it isn't looking good. I think I will try the different preparation method as suggested above.
                      Well, maybe the best thing for her would be to focus on getting enough paneer, ghee, and properly soaked and prepared lentils. Check out Weston A. Price website for more info. A grain-free, veggie heavy, higher fat diet may be right up her alley

Comment

She sounds like a lacto ovo vegetarian. And since you are primal, you want to be wheat free.

Google is your friend. Here's something that took 5 seconds to find.
                        Last edited by magicmerl; 06-20-2012, 03:49 AM. Reason: sp
                        Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                        5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                        Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                        TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                        bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Eat the WHOLE chicken. Livers, hearts, gizzards, etc... That would open up more options for variation. And as Rasputina said, properly prepared legumes are not the worst things.

Comment

Cool, thanks! I wil begin the research!!

Comment

I'll never ever understand the concept of having someone else tell you what you can and can't eat, much less listen to them. But, before anyone gets crazy here, its just my opinion and not an indictment of anyone or their beliefs.

Comment

Working...
                              X