Additives in cigarettes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
    True but comparing degrees of unhealthiness is kind of pointless. Like saying, "Is it more healthy to suck on the tailpipe of a Ferrari since it uses high octane gas and is well tuned as opposed to sucking on the tailpipe of an old beater car?"

They are both bad for you. Don't do either one.
    Except millions of things that people do are bad for them in one or another, you try to limit the damage. Your analogy is flawed at best and your pov of the topic is rather narrow minded.

This whole smoking is the debil is a ridiculous example of public programming.
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Comment

Originally posted by kenn View Post
      Except millions of things that people do are bad for them in one or another, you try to limit the damage. Your analogy is flawed at best and your pov of the topic is rather narrow minded.

This whole smoking is the debil is a ridiculous example of public programming.
      Limiting the damage is all well and good for things that are beyond your control like pollutants in the air. But when you choose to pollute your body with one substance or another, you are just picking your poison.

And I thought it was a rather clever analogy and I think that you are narrow minded. So there.

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
        you don't inhale cigars or pipes - right? at least you're not supposed to. that explains the lack of impact on your lung function. don't kid yourself though, they're carcinogens, and you're swirling oxidized inflammatory compounds around in your mouth and the back of your throat. better than cigarettes? yeah sure. is that saying much? NO.
        He said that he does inhale.

To the OP, I guess that if someone is trying to quit and wants to quit but needs/wants to do it gradually, it might be beneficial to use the more pure tobacco than some chemically enhanced version. But that is predicated by the fact that they do want to quit. Switching because it's "healthier" just sounds stupid.
        People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

The cancers (esophageal, laryngeal, jaw, etc) associated with cigar and pipe smoking are among the nastiest you can contract, lung cancer would be a comparative walk in the park, at least you'd be dead fairly quickly w/o the pain and disfigurement.

It is a statistical gamble as to whether you will get sick but even the most cursory inquiry will answer your question. It's the tobacco, not the additives.
          Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

Thanks to all that contributed in a positive way to my post. To those that ranted about how terrible people look with a cigar/cigarette in their mouths, hardly productive. A bit like someone posting they like potato chips and you coming back with “I think that people that chips look like mangy buffalos standing in their own filth eating pringles”.

Hardly contributing anything positive to the thread.

We all chose our poisons. I would be willing to bet that everyone on this forum is ingesting some type of poison, knowingly, at some point as part of their 20% or on their “cheat” day. The balance here is that you do the very best you can to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Try to make your 80/20 more like 95/5 if possible and if you are going to ingest poisons, choose the one that is less harmful that the alternatives.

If your cheat is cereal, your choice might be un-chemically treated granola versus artificially colored, artificially flavored, chemically enhanced Coco-Puffs.

Logically, if you are going to consume tobacco products, the pure stuff has to be better for you, or at least less harmful, than poor quality tobacco with 599 chemical additives. Neither is good for you, one is less harmful, if you are going to use tobacco, choose the one less harmful. Again, logical, not that logic is rampant in threads like this mind you.
            Randal
            AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
            Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
            http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

to inject some science into this thread then, here are the results of an approx 20 yr study amongst UK men who sound of a similar age to OP. (Note: I don't think it specifies if any of them inhale the smoke; I think we must assume that some do, some don't)
              Here are the conclusions:

Pipe/cigar smokers have significantly higher risk of coronary heart disease and stroke events than never smokers.

Cardiovascular, non-cardiovascular, and all-cause mortality are significantly higher in pipe/cigar smokers than never smokers.

Pipe/cigar smokers have significantly increased risk of smoking-related cancer, largely due to lung cancer.

Pipe/cigar smoking health effects are intermediate between never smokers and light smokers; lung cancer risk is similar to light cigarette smoking.

All forms of tobacco smoking are hazardous to health.

I think OP has been beat up enough in this thread so I'm not going to add anything personally. I'd say the answer was pretty clear cut though.

Comment

Thanks Zilog, excellent article.

This part of it:

In these middle-aged British men, both primary and secondary pipe/cigar smokers experienced an increased risk of major cardiovascular events, cancer incidence, and all-cause mortality compared with never smokers, at a level similar to current light smokers. These findings supplement published data indicating that all tobacco smoking, not just cigarette smoking, should be regarded as hazardous to health.
                Makes perfect sense. I can see that pipe and cigar smokers would have a similar mortality rate to light cigarette smokers. It is much easier to jump outside for a quick cigarette than to put together a bowl full of tobacco in a pipe, get outside, light it, tamp it, relight it, retamp it, etc for a few minutes of smoking. It is just more trouble than it is worth and I usually reserve my pipe smoking to relaxation time in the evenings. For cigar smokers, if you like large cigars, those are not a 10 minute thing but upwards of 2 hours. Again, usually reserved for relaxation time.

Thanks again.
                Randal
                AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
                Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
                http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

Working...
                X