No announcement yet.

Are you paranoid you'll get cancer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me, cancer isn't the big scary thing, brain malfunction is. No one in my family has had cancer other than a tiny spot of skin cancer on my mom's nose. I used to get benign tumors all the time, so it doesn't feel like a real threat to me (delusion is a wonderful thing).

On the other hand, my maternal grandfather had Alzheimers, my dad had Parkinsons, and his dad was always a bit bizarre. I've had 7 concussions, so brain problems are a real issue in my life. When you feel that going wrong, that's some scary shit, and I'm not sure I could handle being messed up beyond a certain point.

As far as death goes, it's a 100% diagnosis for everyone unless something drastic happens scientifically speaking, and I'm fine with knowing I will die someday. The only difficult part for me is worrying how my sons, boyfriend and mom will deal with it. I'm more worried about losing my loved ones than I am myself.
    Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilleh View Post
      OP, you seem to be living in fear. While spending your time with your loved ones and 'make it count' is alright,
      I don't think you should be doing it because you're afraid.

Everybody dies. I don't see any reason to stress yourself over something you can't prevent.

You remind me of my mother. She's in her 60's, overweight and obsessed about her lack of health.
      Every little ache scares her. Even if it's not her "ache".
      When talking to relatives, it's a pure self-pity fest.
      When she's like that, I always make a gag - "it must be the brain tumor gettin' bigger!" etc.

If you're worried about your psychical, do something about it.
      If you're doing something about it (livin' primal, for example..) - what else is there to do?

The only disease you will get is the one caused by your own anxiety.
      Gilleh, I don't think you've read thoroughly- I AM doing something about it.

Comment

Maybe I'm too young to comment with full understanding of cancer, but right now I don't feel like I'm scared at death, because it's inevitable. I am scared of the dying, and having lost two grandmas to cancer (my mom's side to skin and my father side of cancer in the utherus) I'm conscious of the possibility of getting something, even if I try to eat really primal and stuff.

Now that you mention this, I am terrified of my mom getting something. Considering that she doesn't eat Primal at all, and I don't think she intends to in the future.. :/

Comment

Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
          For me, cancer isn't the big scary thing, brain malfunction is. No one in my family has had cancer other than a tiny spot of skin cancer on my mom's nose. I used to get benign tumors all the time, so it doesn't feel like a real threat to me (delusion is a wonderful thing).

On the other hand, my maternal grandfather had Alzheimers, my dad had Parkinsons, and his dad was always a bit bizarre. I've had 7 concussions, so brain problems are a real issue in my life. When you feel that going wrong, that's some scary shit, and I'm not sure I could handle being messed up beyond a certain point.

As far as death goes, it's a 100% diagnosis for everyone unless something drastic happens scientifically speaking, and I'm fine with knowing I will die someday. The only difficult part for me is worrying how my sons, boyfriend and mom will deal with it. I'm more worried about losing my loved ones than I am myself.

I live with brain malfunction...
          It's just like any other medical problem, once you are in the middle of it you deal with it the best you can.
          That said... I'm well aware of the steps and have access to materials necessary for a easy and peaceful ending if it comes to that.
          I'd deal with cancer the same way if I were Dx'd with that.
          (NO, I don't plan on offing myself for no reason, but I also do not agree with the prohibitions against dying on your own terms and with dignity in this country. If you don't agree with that for personal reasons that's fine... no one will force you to end your life. In fact they will probably hook you to machines and keep you alive for as long as possible regardless of your quality of 'life'.)
          “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
          ~Friedrich Nietzsche
          And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
            It's just like any other medical problem, once you are in the middle of it you deal with it the best you can.
            That said... I'm well aware of the steps and have access to materials necessary for a easy and peaceful ending if it comes to that.
            (NO, I don't plan on offing myself for no reason, but I also do not agree with the prohibitions against dying on your own terms and with dignity in this country. If you don't agree with that for personal reasons that's fine... no one will force you to end your life. In fact they will probably hook you to machines and keep you alive for as long as possible regardless of your quality of 'life'.)
            My mom, who was my dad's primary caregiver for all but the last 2 years of his Parkinson's, has told us more than once that we will learn of any terminal illness diagnosis through her suicide note. And I absolutely believe her. I can't say I see the point to hanging out just to see how bad it will get. Know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em.
            Durp.

Comment

we also have alzheimers in the family, I knew my great-great-grandmother, pre-illness until I was seven, the last 15 years of her life, she spent, bed-bound, forgot her english and would call me by my mother's name. I wanted her so badly to remember me. She always cooked my favorite foods and bought me purple things, my favorite color. My great grandmother and my grandmother are constantly vigilant about developing alzheimers, but,so far, their screenings are fine.

Comment

Not at all.

It doesn't run in the family, i do most of the activities that prevent, and I'm not worried about it overall.

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputina View Post
                  Gilleh, I don't think you've read thoroughly- I AM doing something about it.
                  I think there is a big difference between obsessive paralyzing fear that keeps you from enjoying your life and real rational concern that leads to positive changes thereby giving you more life to enjoy. I think the OP is the latter, as am I.

Comment

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                    Couldn't have said it better. The only two times in 50 years that I have considered taking the side exit out of life were when I started having seizures in my early 20's and then in the middle of the cancer chaos. I'm very glad that, in each case, I decided not to take that road, but knowing that I had that option was very empowering. Because I had the option to end it, every day that I continued living was an active choice on my part.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                      I think there is a big difference between obsessive paralyzing fear that keeps you from enjoying your life and real rational concern that leads to positive changes thereby giving you more life to enjoy. I think the OP is the latter, as am I.
                      Count me right there with you.

I would have thought that this view would be more understood here, rather than the oversimplification to fear of cancer= fear of death, but the fear of loss, suffering, and helplessness that can come with cancer and other serious diseases.
                      Fear of negative health consequences can be GOOD thing.
                      It encourages better eating habits, better exercise habits in general, and weight loss (not necessarily body building/sculpting style) for many who will benefit from it... better health habits in general.
                      Fear need not be perceived as a negative...
                      “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                      ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                      And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Nope.

Eat nutrient dense foods (especially offal), reduce toxins, exercise (sweat = detox), fast every now and then, don't put anything on your skin that you wouldn't eat, Vitamin D, iodine... All good.

Comment

I will say that I sometimes get a little confused when people think "If I eat right and stay away from toxins, then I'll live to a ripe old age and die quietly in my sleep, surprising everyone around me."

Yeah... sort of.

It will definitely help, but the fact is that shit happens, life happens, and we really can't completely control when we exit this world. All we can do is improve our odds, and I'm all for that.
                          Durp.

Comment

I'm not so much afraid of death, but I'm terrified of cancer. I'm 34, and so far, I have lost all four grandparents, my mother, and my aunt to cancer. That's not counting the people in my life who've survived cancer at this point, including my younger brother. With that sort of history, it's frightening sometimes, especially because the brain cancer that my mother and her sister died from is genetically linked--it's not certain yet whether it's heritable. My family are not unhealthy people: they are all very active, eat fairly well (not much junk or processed food, no sugar addicts), spend lots of time outdoors, and so on. Sometimes, the genetic dice are loaded against you.

I watched my mother fight her cancer for seven years before she died. I saw her lose capacities one by one, and I visited her in a hospice for two years, two years when every phone call was maybe that call and when we kept several overnight vigils because it looked like she was not going to make it.

I thought I was more okay with it. My mother was an amazing woman who found joy and peace throughout her battle. But I recently had a cancer scare, and I was an absolute mess. I realized that I am really, really terrified, not of death but of the suffering that comes with a drawn-out death from cancer.

It's all very well for people to say "stop worrying", but it's not a rational fear. It's deep seated, almost phobic, not something I can just get over easily.
                            “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post
                              I'm not so much afraid of death, but I'm terrified of cancer. I'm 34, and so far, I have lost all four grandparents, my mother, and my aunt to cancer. That's not counting the people in my life who've survived cancer at this point, including my younger brother. With that sort of history, it's frightening sometimes, especially because the brain cancer that my mother and her sister died from is genetically linked--it's not certain yet whether it's heritable. My family are not unhealthy people: they are all very active, eat fairly well (not much junk or processed food, no sugar addicts), spend lots of time outdoors, and so on. Sometimes, the genetic dice are loaded against you.

I watched my mother fight her cancer for seven years before she died. I saw her lose capacities one by one, and I visited her in a hospice for two years, two years when every phone call was maybe that call and when we kept several overnight vigils because it looked like she was not going to make it.

I thought I was more okay with it. My mother was an amazing woman who found joy and peace throughout her battle. But I recently had a cancer scare, and I was an absolute mess. I realized that I am really, really terrified, not of death but of the suffering that comes with a drawn-out death from cancer.

It's all very well for people to say "stop worrying", but it's not a rational fear. It's deep seated, almost phobic, not something I can just get over easily.
                              I'm so sorry to hear about your losses. Especially your Mum.
                              F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

I lost both my parents to what I feel are completely preventable diseases: dad to heart disease in 2005, mom to an unknown cancer in 2009. Losing mom was harder, as I was her caregiver, and it was a seriously draining experience. Unless you've been a caregiver, you have no idea what that person goes through mentally, physically, spiritually and emotionally. Hell, I'm *still* dealing with it.

When I found MDA in late 2009 I vowed that would never be me. Now I have candida which freaks me out, because as one Italian oncologist has said "cancer IS a fungus" and he's found candida in over 75% of his patients.

To say I'm paranoid about getting cancer is probably pushing it: I'm more pissed off at my candida, but I'm not mentally suggesting to myself that OMG DUDE YOU HAVE CANCER YER GONNA DIE LIKE MOM. No...instead, I'm working on killing it as best as I can. But it may run in my genes. Mom's dad passed from colon cancer. It does scare me, but I try not to think about it. I make changes where I can, where I *know* I can help prevent disease.

Owly, I'm so sorry to hear your mom's illness went on for so long. My mom was gone in a matter of months. Either way, it is a serious bastard of a disease.
                                A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

Working...
                                X