fat acceptance movement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fat acceptance movement

An article in which the author says she "stopped dieting" and accepted herself as fat at 18 rather than learning about nutrition & health:
    Jean Fain, L.I.C.S.W., M.S.W.: Fat Activist Lesley Kinzel on How to Stop Dieting and Start Loving Your Body

If nothing else, what I try to get people to walk away with is knowing that any decisions they make about their bodies and their health needs to come from a place of self-love, and not self- loathing.

It's all about "self love".

Not sure what point you're trying to make...fat people shouldn't love themselves?

Comment

So you think self-loathing is a good idea? Fat people deserve the same love and respect as anyone else.

I'd far rather spend time with a fat person who is caring and loving and focuses on her health regardless of weight than a thin person who hates on fat people and obsesses over being skinny.
      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

fat acceptance

I agree with the fat acceptance movement in that if someone chooses to be fat and accept and love themselves as such, it's no one else's business. Criticism of folks for being fat because it's "not healthy", "I'm just worried about your life", etc. is usually dreck. The criticism is all too often a way for someone to jack up their own ego by dumping on someone else and we're running out of folks you're allowed to dump on (no more dumping on women, gays, hispanics, etc.), thank God.

If someone asks me about fat and dealing with it, I'll tell them my experience, part of which is I learned to accept myself first, give a finger to the judgementalists and folks who think they have the right to tell me how to live, then I began to get some real progress in making the changes I choose to make in living a life I choose to live.

Bottom line: no one's business but your own.

Comment

I gotta say, I can see how people get discouraged through CW weightloss. I see women all the time working hard at exercise and eating next to nothing and staying fat. I'm not saying they should give up, but after 6-8 weeks of starving myself and busting my ass exercise and not getting smaller, it was hard to not just say "OK, I'm fat. Tough Shit".

When you say "learn about nutrition and health"- well, who are you learning from? If you are learning from mainstream people like Dr Oz.... repeat the above cycle to infinity and feel like shit that you are a failure. Learning to eat low fat and whole grains does nothing. I'm not saying its good to be fat, but I can see the decision to get on with your life after the you know, 10th or 15th time CW fails you.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
          Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Also, Lesley is an awesome writer, and I love her blog.
            “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

We're ALL in the fat acceptance movement. We love ourselves, we love the fat we get in our food, etc. etc. ;-)

ETA: And on the same page, I found this link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/susan-...ess&ref=topbar

If you are learning from mainstream people like Dr Oz.... repeat the above cycle to infinity and feel like shit that you are a failure. Learning to eat low fat and whole grains does nothing. I'm not saying its good to be fat, but I can see the decision to get on with your life after the you know, 10th or 15th time CW fails you.
              Absolutely!
              Last edited by Jodis; 06-13-2012, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                When you say "learn about nutrition and health"- well, who are you learning from? If you are learning from mainstream people like Dr Oz.... repeat the above cycle to infinity and feel like shit that you are a failure. Learning to eat low fat and whole grains does nothing. I'm not saying its good to be fat, but I can see the decision to get on with your life after the you know, 10th or 15th time CW fails you.
                That's the impression I got from the article. She mentioned eating a v*gan diet, feeling miserable and not really losing weight. So many people think v*gan is the pinnacle of good health... and if it doesn't work for you, you start to feel hopeless. (BTDT).

I really hate fat-bashing, so I agree with many of her points... particularly about fat people deserving respect like everyone else. No we don't have the right to shame others, in fact there were studies showing that shaming fat people did not help them. Instead, shaming them caused them to gain more weight. There's really no excuse for that.

The thing I most disagree with her on is about Mrs Obama's Let's Move program (or whatever it's called). Yes, she is targeting obesity, but I don't recall there being any shaming. Just encouragement to get active and stay active. Nothing wrong with encouraging that, in my opinion. The author mentions feeling discouraged to exercise due to her size, so you think she'd be in favor of a program that encourages people of all sizes to be active. Oh well.

Nothing wrong with loving yourself no matter your size... often that alone is enough to trigger some positive changes.
                Jen, former Midwesterner, living in the middle of nowhere.

Comment

I agree with loving yourself, but accepting yourself as overwieght just seems like giving up.

I mean, we can get all bubbly-cuddly about our feelings, but that doesn't change the biological fact that it is unhealthy to be overweight, nevermind obese.

I won't bash anyone for the way they choose to live their life, and I certainly don't expect anyone to adhere to the size-zero standards of models, but the fact remains that being fat is not a good thing.

Comment

I accept large amounts of fat... when it's on my plate.

Comment

but accepting yourself as overwieght just seems like giving up.
                      I don't know- if you never failed multiple times at CW style weight loss you might not get it.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                      Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

I think I might be actually better of if I could truly accept being fat. But I have been fighting against it since I was 12, and I dunno. I always had this fuzzy image that when I am 60, I would finally stop caring and eat white bread with butter & don't give a hoot that I have to wear a tent with an extra hole cut through it. But the older I become, the less likely... I just feel intensely unhappy when I look and feel fat. I mean, 'fat and ugly' day anyone? Brr.
                        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                        When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

In a way there's mainstream information about what causes obesity that is wrong.
                          I don't think people with weight problems eat too much, or are sloths or people who doesn't care: I'm convinced obese people eats too much of the wrong things and does not move around a lot because they are obese. I've seen people gaining weight effortlessly, just by being there breathing and bravely taking their medicines -i was one of them- and I believe nobody sharing western culture parameters gets fat because they want to get fat.
                          People gets fat because they are misguided, or because they are poor and can't afford better nutrition and nutritional advice, or because their genetics don't really help them out, or more likely because of all of those reasons plus others. I've never seen anyone intentionally going under a force-feed marathon in order to become obese, but I've seen people desperately fighting insidious continuous weight gain during years, depriving themselves of nutrients and stressing out like mad.
                          When I got back home in Argentina last year I couldn't find vegetables in the supermarket, fun uh? Twelve years ago half of the place was veggies and meat and fish, all fresh and good. Now 80% is junk and the rest is all about soaps and housecleaning stuff -and that wasn't a low income aimed supermarket, you really can't trust what you find in those.
                          The thing is somethings are wrong, something is damaging people health and that's going on all around the world, people deserves to know they are not guilty of their condition, they need help and we can only hope CW will stand aside and let better information pass through and get to those who really need to know about how much better their quality of life would get if they just drink water and not soda, gatorade and juices (because that much less would make a huge difference) -starches are cheap, and filling; convincing people about leaving those is not really easy.
                          Obese and overweight people fight battles everyday to be accepted, sometimes just to jump on a bus, and there's no way making their lives even more miserable will improve their chances of success with a diet or workout program, not if it's DrOz they're listening to (or Ornisch for what it's worth).
                          No limits, only my will and the worlds I build.

Comment

Originally posted by fiercehunter View Post
                            An article in which the author says she "stopped dieting" and accepted herself as fat at 18 rather than learning about nutrition & health:
                            Jean Fain, L.I.C.S.W., M.S.W.: Fat Activist Lesley Kinzel on How to Stop Dieting and Start Loving Your Body

If nothing else, what I try to get people to walk away with is knowing that any decisions they make about their bodies and their health needs to come from a place of self-love, and not self- loathing.

It's all about "self love".
                            What's your point? If you are being sarcastic and implying that being fat means you should hate yourself then well, basically you are are terrible person.
                            Last edited by Apex Predator; 06-13-2012, 01:40 PM. Reason: spelling
                            Lifting Journal

Comment

I love fatty steaks so there's that. Landwhales, not so much.

Comment

Working...
                              X