No announcement yet.

fat acceptance movement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is not that the good food is more expensive than in other Western countries (it's probably cheaper in States, because everything is cheaper in States), it is because the very cheap alternative options are available. When all food is pricey, people cannot afford as much food, junk or good. So, that creates an artificial limit of intake, an outside control that fights the evolutionary drive to over-eat. And outside control is very, very important to control our eating habits. If you have ever seen people on a cruise with the cost of food not being a factor, you have seen how people will eat if the food was infinetly available and palatable.

But, like with everything else, you get what you paid for, and we did develop certain amount of abstract thinking and forecasting power. Through trial and error, through applying human ingenuity vs instinct it is possible to lose weight and remain healthy.

Going to the original point of discussion though, I want to bring this up: embracing being fat is probably the best first step on the way to losing weight. It reduces the stress and the fixation on the deadlines, crash-diets and the normal human desire to get results fast.

Anyway, off the soap box.

I was fat, I may easily become fat again, and I am trying to change it.
    Last edited by Leida; 06-14-2012, 08:45 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post
      Well, and the whole cultural thing is set up to make you feel like YOU are the failure if you can't make it work despite following all the rules. So you get both the heaping dose of shame that comes from daring to be fat in public, and then on top of it you get some good old-fashioned self-loathing because you're such a loser that you can't even get thin like everyone says you should.

So, let's see, starvation, exhaustion (from overworking and then trying to cram in hours of cardio), and shame. Sounds like a real recipe for happiness to me. In that context, I am not surprised at all that many women say "f*ck it" and decide to just find a way to be happy in the body they have. It actually takes a lot of courage to decide to love yourself in the face of so much condemnation. Look at how hard it is for anyone to have a healthy body image in the current cultural context, and think about what that must be like for someone who's viewed as a "land whale".
      +1,000,000 For every fat person out there who is fat because they just eat pizza and watch TV for entertainment, there is another fat person who eats Lean Cuisines and all the CW "healthy grains" and works out 3-5 times a week and just can't lose a pound. I have never been significantly overweight, thank my lucky stars, but I have been trying to lose the same 5 lbs for about 12 years now! It is really, really, really hard to do and I am SURE it's every bit as hard for a lot of very overweight people to lose 50 lbs using the CW rules. In fact I still haven't managed to lose those 5 lbs after almost 9 months of eating paleo. So when I see a women who is 70 lbs overweight and clearly *trying* to follow all the "rules" she thinks are right (thanks, gov't), I think to myself - - "there go I, but for the grace of God."

Comment

My partner has been obese all his adult life, I do my best to feed him good primal foods and I'd love it if he went fully primal. But I'm not going to try to change him if he wants to eat crap and stay the way he is, I still find him attractive. I fell in love with a fat bloke, and he is the same size he was when I met him!

It's possible to feel ok with how you currently look, but at the same time to take responsibility for changing it. I'm prepared to work hard to become lighter and stronger, but I still think my voluminous curves are sexy!

I just feel so sad for all the CW people who aren't interested in understanding primal principles of nutrition, and don't even think that they have a problem, because overeating and being a little overweight are accepted as normal. I wish more people knew about this WOE, perhaps they wouldn't feel defeated, as I once did.
        Start weight: 238 lbs (March 2012)
        Current weight: 205 lbs (July 2012)
        Loss so far: 33 lbs!!!
        WOE: Primal + IF
        Movements: Hiking, sprinting.
        Goal: to see my abs some time in 2013!

Comment

Originally posted by spacey47 View Post
          American food values are destroying health worldwide
          That's right.

We'll destroy you all!

Comment

Originally posted by DarthFriendly View Post
            That's right.

We'll destroy you all!
            Not me you F**Kin wont!

Comment

It's okay to not hate yourself, it's just WRONG not to want to change and become a better version of you. People should strive to get wiser and smarter and more complete human beings every day, not go ''well, I tried the same thing over and over and over and every time I had the same result, it must be that it's impossible to do''. If something you try doesn't work, it's because of two reasons: either you did it wrong, or you did it right, and it was a wrong solution. Every time I fail at something, I just ask myself ''did I do it right?''. If the answer is yes, and it still didn't work, I just look for another solution. How people fail to understand that and keep repeating their mistakes and crying over it is beyond me. The whole ''it's not my fault, people (or CW or the government or my mom) told me things that were wrong'' isn't an excuse either. People say bullshit and ignorant statements all day long, if you haven't figured that out by the time you're 15 you haven't been out of your hole much (or you weren't listening enough). You hear advice? You think it's good? Try it, and if it doesn't work then maybe it was crappy advice or not applicable to you, move on and find something better, stop blaming others.

So fat people, don't hate yourselves, love yourselves so much you'll want the best for yourself and you'll look for the right answers. If you can't find them, look more.

Comment

Originally posted by Winterbike View Post
                So fat people, don't hate yourselves, love yourselves so much you'll want the best for yourself and you'll look for the right answers. If you can't find them, look more.
                Right, but only I can decide what is best for me. You do not get to look at me and say, "You should want the best for yourself" perhaps this is it. Take Griff, for example, he lost weight he got far healthier then he stopped because he was in what he considered the best place for him. Rightly or wrongly or whatever, it is where he felt the most comfortable. He basically got run off the forums for saying so. That is straight up bullshit. Perhaps 10% bodyfat is not the best for everyone. Perhaps 280 pounds is where someone wants to be. That is their business not mine, yours, or anyone else's.

Also, not directed at Winterbike (who I am quoting) but in general, I get tired of hearing the 'well, we have to pay for you being fat"bullshit. I have to pay for your damned kids to go to school. I have to pay for people to get food stamps, social security, disability. I have to pay farmers to get subsidies, corporations to get hand outs. hell, I pay for 1,000,000 things I don't want every day. So do you. if you think all your money is going to fat people you are out of your mind.

Comment

I miss Griff around here. I still have contact with him, but he was a great member of this forum and I wish he was still posting.
                  “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

t's okay to not hate yourself, it's just WRONG not to want to change and become a better version of you. People should strive to get wiser and smarter and more complete human beings every day,
                    okay, what does weight have to do with that?

version 1 of me: 130, smart, capable, helpful, out of the box thinker, etc etc etc
                    version 2 of me: 230, smart, capable, helpful, out of the box thinker, etc etc etc

how i look to the world overshadows my accomplishments?
                    beautiful
                    yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                    lol

Comment

Originally posted by spacey47 View Post
                      Not me you F**Kin wont!
                      The fuck we won't.

First we'll get Russell Brand, then the rest of you swishy brits.

Our agents are everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                        Take Griff, for example,

He basically got run off the forums for saying so. .
                        dafuq?

WHO? WHO RAN OFF GRIFF?

I'll moidalize 'em. I'll grind their bones to make me bread. I'll pulverize them into a bloody red paste. I'll make them disappear into a fine red mist.

...well, I don't really have time for that right now. But I will put it on my to do list.

Okay, so I'll never have time for it.

But still. Fuckers.

Comment

Originally posted by Winterbike View Post
                          You hear advice? You think it's good? Try it, and if it doesn't work then maybe it was crappy advice or not applicable to you, move on and find something better, stop blaming others.
                          part of loving yourself may be giving up on finding something that works, simply because it has been such an unhealthy obsession for so long and nothing has worked. haven't btdt myself, but it's a possibility that seems to be the experience of others.

Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                          Also, not directed at Winterbike (who I am quoting) but in general, I get tired of hearing the 'well, we have to pay for you being fat"bullshit. I have to pay for your damned kids to go to school. I have to pay for people to get food stamps, social security, disability. I have to pay farmers to get subsidies, corporations to get hand outs. hell, I pay for 1,000,000 things I don't want every day. So do you. if you think all your money is going to fat people you are out of your mind.
                          w0rd

The fuck we won't.

First we'll get Russell Brand...
                          NOOOOO!!!!!
                          my primal journal:
                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

dafuq?

WHO? WHO RAN OFF GRIFF?

I'll moidalize 'em. I'll grind their bones to make me bread. I'll pulverize them into a bloody red paste. I'll make them disappear into a fine red mist.

...well, I don't really have time for that right now. But I will put it on my to do list.

Okay, so I'll never have time for it.

But still. Fuckers.

Well, no one specifically said "GTFO Griff" but he was made to feel so unwelcome he left. At least that is how he expressed it and how it looked to some of the rest of us.

and Saoirse, yes. Russell Brand is a class A douchenozzle.

Comment

yes, very true, but still i have a soft spot for him. maybe part of me is a silly woman.
                              my primal journal:
                              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

I think a big reason people give up and stop trying to learn new ways is because so many things don't work and its often non-compliance that makes you fail. You can't stick to veganism or 1200 calories a day and an hour of hard cardio a day or slim fast or whatever for long enough to lose weight or you lose the weight and then can't stay vegan.

Even Primal people have trouble sticking to it, and still for many of us it isn't exactly easy to lose the weight even on primal. The last two months I have been less focused and maintained, which makes me happy.... but I need to comply pretty tightly to lose pounds which is hard when life intervenes. It's not so much "ooo McDonalds and pizza"... more like "oh, I want a drink with friends" or "shoot, no time to lift" or just eating a bit too much primal foods because I'm tired of measuring and carefully balancing...

What gives me hope is the effortless maintenance, but still... this is hard. Unfortunately it comes at the end of a long effort of restricting food and hard exercise. I look at it this way- when I chose primal, my other thought was veganism again... I read a just as compelling book on veganism as primal. IfI had gone vegan, I'd have probably been writing that article.

So I get it when people don't believe primal will work for them- they've been failed again and again by many different diet plans. Why should they trust it is any better than veganism, south beach or Jenny Craig? Why should they ditch olive oil for coconut oil? You can find evidence for and against anything. And honestly, this forum.... is discouraging on how much people complicate this way of life. OK, take iodine, until your hair falls out, then sit in ice water, NEVER EAT FRUIT, eat coffee blended with butter, OMG DON'T JOG but do tabata sprints.... SUGAR KILLS, live a little have some haagen das, and while you are at it, eat a pizza, NO NUTS EVER but here is a recipe for a cupcake that has 800 calories of almonds in it, but that apple is what makes you fat.....

It comes off a little faddish. And if you are an experienced dieter its a little hard to buy into.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                                Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Working...
                                X