fat acceptance movement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jsa23 View Post
    Yes - I think people on both sides of the debate need to realize that it is possible to respect yourself and see the worth in yourself(or someone else) as a person, but at the same time recognize that there are aspects of yourself that can be improved. Self-respect doesn't need to mean giving up and stopping any attempts at change.

"I'm fat, and I'm a smart, capable, worthwhile person" doesn't necessarily mean "I'm perfect, and there's no reason to try and get healthier". The key is that when one loves/respects oneself, the focus becomes(or should become) health rather than other more superficial goals - which is a good thing all around.

The fat acceptance movement needs to realize that the simple statement that losing weight can improve your health isn't a direct attack on their worth as human beings - and likewise, people on the other side need to realize that loving/respecting oneself doesn't mean that someone has totally given up on trying to change themself for the better.

This is exactly how I feel.

Fat-haters want us to believe that overweight people have no value simply because they are overweight. When I was overweight, I contributed some pretty great stuff to the world. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses - it is just that overweight people have to where their weakness out in the open all the time.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

• Darth, I would think you would LOVE fat people. You know, all of the marbling making for some tasty grilling.
      Durp.

Comment

• Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
        Darth, I would think you would LOVE fat people. You know, all of the marbling making for some tasty grilling.
        You can ladle the liquid fat back over the other corpses in the ovens to make them all burn faster.

Comment

• Awww, Darth. I see you're back to your usual cuddly self. I always admire an equal opportunity misanthrope.
          “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
            I'll have to get one off the camera this evening.

I find I only have the skills/awareness/stamina to deal with one kid in the kitchen at a time (but NOT the 2yr old. he definitely is an agent of chaos). So I come and offer them a special treat of helping me cook
            herein lies the problem. i invite one to help me cook, and then the wailing and gnashing of teeth begins. my kids are a cantankerous lot, and if there's an inequality they revolt. not that i usually try to make things equal (that's a losing battle) but they still kick up a fuss regardless. there's also no way to keep the 2 year old out of "helping," so if one helps, then there are really two helping, and one left out. so instead i tell them to get out of my kitchen and go play. now before i had #2, #1 was making scrambled eggs at age 3.
            my primal journal:
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

• DVD as bait? Thomas does work at our place.
              Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
              5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
              Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
              TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
              bloodorchid is always right

Comment

• Originally posted by DarthFriendly View Post
                You can ladle the liquid fat back over the other corpses in the ovens to make them all burn faster.
                And it would make the skin extra crispy too!

Great... Now I'm thinking of roast suckling pig. Dammit Darth!
                “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• Here is the wild rabbit in all it's munted glory:
                  WildRabbit.jpg

The eyes are olives and the ears and tail are capsicums.
                  Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                  5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                  Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                  TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                  bloodorchid is always right

Comment

• Still going!! That is kinda hilarious.

Now I feel like pork belly with crispy crackling and apple sauce.

Comment

• maybes jessica biel should head over to one of the ryan's together. they can be bland together (that is, i find them both to be nice looking people, but for me, don't so much. so bland.)

man, my 4 yr old's testosterone surge is annoying as all get out. between the punching and the waking in the middle of the night to cry over his dreams, it's really annoying (apparently caused by hormones -- hey, maybe spacey is going through a testosterone surge).

Comment

• Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                        maybes jessica biel should head over to one of the ryan's together. they can be bland together (that is, i find them both to be nice looking people, but for me, don't so much. so bland.)

man, my 4 yr old's testosterone surge is annoying as all get out. between the punching and the waking in the middle of the night to cry over his dreams, it's really annoying (apparently caused by hormones -- hey, maybe spacey is going through a testosterone surge).
                        The Ryans are mine. LOL re the testosterone rage. I prefer the Napolean Complex theory. Compensating for something...

Comment

• How about a paleo athlete?

Hmmm... which one is a positive body image.
                          "Go For Broke"
                          Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
                          Small Kine-168/9%
                          Now- 200/8%
                          Goal- 210/6%

Comment

• Good point.

Oh and

Comment

• i imagine sitting on hard surfaces would be very uncomfortable for Lady Right

but she looks like the original muse for all fairy paintings

and Lady Left says- I WILL KICK YOUR ASS AND LOOK HOT DOING IT
                              beautiful
                              yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                              lol

Comment

• I have not read through all 52 pages of this thread yet, slow internet connection makes that difficult. But, would people that support the Fat Acceptance Movement also be willing to support smoker's rights? With the exception of second hand smoke, smokers have made an choice and/or have an addiction to something that is unhealthy and carries with it additional health care cost that are often paid by others through taxes or increased insurance premiums?

Would people supporting the fat acceptance movement support gay and lesbian rights? After all, they are not doing anything to harm anyone else but people have problems with accepting them just as they are like some people have problems with accepting fat people as they are. Their lifestyle, or as some studies show, as they have been since birth, could bring additional health impacts, HIV for instance, that might be paid for by tax payer's dollars or increased insurance payments.

The problems that I have seen in the past with these movements is that they get focused on their own agenda and refuse to support any other advocate group because it runs counter to the general morals of the group.

If all these groups would support each other, become allies, then it would give them a greater voice.

Like the saying goes, "if we don't hang together, surely, we will hand separately".

Sorry if this has already been covered but that is my 2 cents worth.
                                Randal
                                AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
                                Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
                                http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X