Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fat acceptance movement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Legbiter View Post
    I love fatty steaks so there's that. Landwhales, not so much.
    Charming.
    Lifting Journal

    Comment


    • #17
      I feel like people here are really critical of overweight people.... alot of criticism of excuses, an inability to lose weight. But a common theme I see here at the same time are people relieved to find something that works for them to lose weight. With the exception of the people here who came in at a healthy weight or underweight, we were all once fat, and some of us still are, and I assume we all likely saw failure after failure on CW. If your first go of weightloss was MDA you are LUCKY.

      Is it healthy to be fat- NO. But is it healthy to keep failing CW style? No, and after diet after diet fails, it is a HUGE leap of faith to start eating the foods you thought made you fat in the first place.

      I mean, fine, poke fun at land whales, but please don't assume they are lazy. I worked my ass off to be land whale size. Every second of realizing all the work was not working sucked. You feel hopeless.

      For a lot of us, when you criticize the obese, realize that but for finding something that worked for you, you'd still be obese and maybe at some point you too would get tired of the self hate and assumption that you were sedentary and ate McDonalds. The sad fact- I was MORE active as a size 18 half marathoner and ate about the same number of calories, but yes, I looked like a land whale.

      I dunno, my vanity kept me from giving up, but I can see how people just say fuck it and go live a normal life as a fat person. No one would chose to be fat if it was easy to lose weight.

      http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
      Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
        I feel like people here are really critical of overweight people.... alot of criticism of excuses, an inability to lose weight. But a common theme I see here at the same time are people relieved to find something that works for them to lose weight. With the exception of the people here who came in at a healthy weight or underweight, we were all once fat, and some of us still are, and I assume we all likely saw failure after failure on CW. If your first go of weightloss was MDA you are LUCKY.

        Is it healthy to be fat- NO. But is it healthy to keep failing CW style? No, and after diet after diet fails, it is a HUGE leap of faith to start eating the foods you thought made you fat in the first place.

        I mean, fine, poke fun at land whales, but please don't assume they are lazy. I worked my ass off to be land whale size. Every second of realizing all the work was not working sucked. You feel hopeless.

        For a lot of us, when you criticize the obese, realize that but for finding something that worked for you, you'd still be obese and maybe at some point you too would get tired of the self hate and assumption that you were sedentary and ate McDonalds. The sad fact- I was MORE active as a size 18 half marathoner and ate about the same number of calories, but yes, I looked like a land whale.

        I dunno, my vanity kept me from giving up, but I can see how people just say fuck it and go live a normal life as a fat person. No one would chose to be fat if it was easy to lose weight.
        People that mock others for being fat are either of particularly low intelligence/education or empathy(They simply don't know what it's like to have the genetic and/or life deck stack against them) , or simply displaying insecurity by attacking others they perceive as weak and socially vulnerable.
        Lifting Journal

        Comment


        • #19
          See my landwhale before picture in my avatar? That picture was taken after a little 8 mile jaunt in the mountains up about 2700 feet of elevation and back down again. Something I could do at the drop of a hat without having to prep for it. Something I could do every day 3 or 4 times over if I wanted to (I know this because I've done it). Not everyone who is overweight is lazy.

          P.S.
          Two girls, same mother and father, same meals made for them. Both run on the playground, climb trees, ride bikes, catch pollywogs in the creek. Should the one on the right hate herself for not looking like the one on the left? Is the one on the left more deserving of love and acceptance? Can the one on the right truly expect to ever diet herself down to the one on the left? Is it possible people come in different shapes and sizes?
          Last edited by sbhikes; 06-13-2012, 02:39 PM.
          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

          Comment


          • #20
            I think you can refuse to accept obesity without mocking someone for being fat.

            If anything, I feel sorry for those who are overweight. I don't mock them.

            Having said that, it DOES make me angry to see people flaunting or embracing their obesity in such a way as to become a negative role model for others.

            I don't hate smokers either, but it doesn't mean I'm going to ignore the fact that its unhealthy.

            Comment


            • #21
              i have nothing against fat people, i think some are pre disposed to putting on weight and some just eat too much and move too little.. or a combination of the 2....its their choice.

              If it was so genetic why are there so many more people who are fat now than 10 or 20 years ago, there must be lots of people who are not genetically pre disposed to geting fat who just eat loads more than they should..

              The only thing i would say is that they should pay higher Plane fares, i dont see why i should pay to subsidise the extra fuel cost of carryng them and then be charged if my luggage is too heavy

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by spacey47 View Post

                If it was so genetic why are there so many more people who are fat now than 10 or 20 years ago, there must be lots of people who are not genetically pre disposed to geting fat who just eat loads more than they should..
                Undoubtedly, there are some.

                But that's also about the same time doctors started giving people truly awful food and exercise advice, processed "food" became dirt cheap (and thus fed to poor children), environmental toxins started spiking, and plenty of other factors.

                You know what else is a combination of genetic factors with behavior? Cancer. Yet far fewer people mock cancer patients.
                Lifting Journal

                Comment


                • #23
                  It's crazy to me how recipes call for oil/butter instead of fat (some really old recipe books I got from my grandma say fat instead).

                  I love fat, and I think that more people should be accepting of the word.

                  And I think that our societal standard that call for women in particular to look half starved are screwed up.
                  Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

                  Griff's cholesterol primer
                  5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                  Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                  TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                  bloodorchid is always right

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    This thread makes me a sad panda.
                    JOIN THE PANDA SHOW!!! Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS and PANDALOONERY!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
                      And I think that our societal standard that call for women in particular to look half starved are screwed up.
                      +1000

                      The prevelant body ideals are probably my least favorite part of this forum. (I don't really interact with pop culture enough to know what's popular these days.)
                      Lifting Journal

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I think that every human being has inherent dignity and value, and that a person should accept themselves *as they are in the moment* -- because that's the only place where real health can come from: self acceptance.

                        Once a person has that, they take care of themselves.

                        People will be different shapes and sizes. They will value some things higher than others (ie, eating the foods that they know, that are cultural, that are familial) and this may "negatively" affect their physical health/weight, but it might also make their mental/emotional health better, and who am I to judge how a person values -- or evaluates -- which is better?

                        In my profession, I deal with people who are each unique individuals. Some are thin. Some are fat. Most are average sized and perhaps about 5-20 lbs overweight (but "normal" for the culture, region, age, race, sex, etc). And they are all wonderful, grace-filled individuals who do good things for themselves by coming to yoga class (and a challenging, power-yoga class to boot). They have injuries, they are all ages. Some are tight, some are flexible, but everyone is different.

                        Thus, everything is modified to meet their unique needs, interests, and desires.

                        My job is to teach them about self acceptance. I do this in a variety of ways -- but the most effective way is to *accept them fully as they are, right now, in this moment.* Every single one of them is a special gift in my life, and I am thankful every day for that. It doesn't matter their race, sex, age, injuries or lack their of, athleticism or lack thereof, fat, thin or what. All that matters is that they are.

                        And I am thankful for that.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Having said that, it DOES make me angry to see people flaunting or embracing their obesity in such a way as to become a negative role model for others.
                          I don't think she was flaunting her obesity- I think she was just accepting that it is what it is and letting herself get on with her life.

                          I realize being obese is not healthy- but there are a lot of unhealthy things that we don't shame people for. And there are a lot of obese people doing things you need a healthy body for. What's worse for your health?- carrying extra weight or living off slim fast and weight watchers meals?

                          I also don't think we can assume that woman who has given up on weightloss is going off on a sedentary McDonalds bender. She may well just be embracing a lifestyle of eating healthy foods and doing moderate exercise - the same thing we promote here. Why do we expect her to continue to diet, obsess, track and restrict, live at the gym when some of us here are at the same time critical of people here that watch calories, IF, eliminate lots of foods and take extreme measures?

                          http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                          Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I get more annoyed by people flaunting their eating disorders than their obesity.
                            Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

                            Griff's cholesterol primer
                            5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                            Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                            TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                            bloodorchid is always right

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              landwhales, nice

                              so, dumbass or asshole. which is it?
                              beautiful
                              yeah you are

                              Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                              lol

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
                                landwhales, nice
                                I stopped going outside entirely because I'm so sick of people seeing my ass and trying to harpoon me.
                                JOIN THE PANDA SHOW!!! Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS and PANDALOONERY!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X