fat acceptance movement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
    The ignore function for this here forum here is really starting to grow on me.

At the least it allows me to step away from unproductive conversations and avoid being trolled.

(Darth Friendly and GrumpyCakes are by definition loveable curmudgeons, and not trolls)
    Fixed it for you.

Comment

• Originally posted by fiercehunter View Post
      The plus size people have dominated this country the last 10 years or so. I have had enough.
      You should change your screen name to "She Who Talks Out of Her Ass".

Comment

• Originally posted by Lynna View Post
        You should change your screen name to "She Who Talks Out of Her Ass".
        or she who is taking the piss

otherwise, is a pretty unappealing human who should endeavour to keep her repulsive statements to herself

Comment

• Originally posted by Danielfire View Post
          like this. really? How? In politics? In space? Financially? Media attention? What do you mean?
          Yeah I don't get this. I am trying (and failing) to think of any way in which plus-size people have done anything that in any way directly harmed me. I have heard the theory that they suck up an inordinate amount of health-care, but I've also heard data suggesting that their often-shorter lifespans actually cause them to use LESS healthcare (in total dollars over total lifespan). And that is just for the really, really obese people. I've read that for people in the "overweight" category, there is often no difference at all in healthcare dollars used. Carrying 25 extra lbs doesn't mean you're going to cost the insurance company double.

Comment

• Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
            Shit that annoys me more than fat people:
            People who smell, particularly BO, but the guys in Axe at the mall are pretty bad too.
            The guy that sells Dead Sea Salt at the Mall
            People who drive poorly
            People who insist on bringing poorly behaved children places
            People who can't control their dogs
            Alcoholics
            Hippies wandering around high (see #1)
            I gotta second that guy that sells the dead sea salt at the mall. I've met him in Calgary and in Houston. He does get around.

Comment

• Carrying 25 extra lbs doesn't mean you're going to cost the insurance company double.
              And if you are buying individual insurance and are obese, you will pay a higher premium and if you get sick you will also pay more.

Yeah, and I'd be curious to learn more about obese domination. Our president is pretty buff as is his wife. There are what- 2-3 female actresses in Hollywood that are obese, one female singer that is obese (or maybe she is just overweight) a few plus size models (that are merely overweight/normal) and Dove products uses normal bodies in their campaigns- but no one that is likely to actually be obese.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
              Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

• Fat acceptance movement? Hmmm... Seems to really benefit the food industry and pharmas in my opinion. Who in their right mind wants to accept diabetes and other obesity related diseases? Those who are ignorant for sure, as well as corporations benefiting significantly from the obese.

Comment

• Originally posted by Danielfire View Post
                  like this. really? How? In politics? In space? Financially? Media attention? What do you mean?
                  Well they are eating all the fucking food for a start!

Did ANY of you follow the link I posted to the BBC? That points out that western obesity has more impact on world food supplies than population growth!

Comment

• Yes, so you should all totally pack up your leftovers and mail them to Africa after every meal.
                    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by fiercehunter View Post
                      The plus size people have dominated this country the last 10 years or so. I have had enough.
                      I was totally fired up and ready to make this my mission statement and then I remembered that I am a plus size person. DAMMIT.

There's nothing worse than being forced into a dominant position when one is, at heart, submissive.
                      JOIN THE PANDA SHOW!!! Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS and PANDALOONERY!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jiigigaw View Post
                        They would be right if the assumption is that lazy is the same as low calorie burn. In such a situation, a lumberjack that puts in 30 hours a week would be less lazy than a programmer who works 60 hours. Until that is settled, the debate of lazy vs hard working will continue for a long time.
                        no, YOU'RE the lumberjack.
                        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Originally posted by Owly View Post
                          Yes, so you should all totally pack up your leftovers and mail them to Africa after every meal.
                          Are you 5 years old?

Comment

• Originally posted by Owly View Post
                            Yes, so you should all totally pack up your leftovers and mail them to Africa after every meal.
                            One of my brothers' friends got yelled at for not finishing pancakes that he thought were terrible. "There are starving children in Africa- finish your food!"

"Can I have an address instead?"
                            http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

• Originally posted by spacey47 View Post
                              Well they are eating all the fucking food for a start!

Did ANY of you follow the link I posted to the BBC? That points out that western obesity has more impact on world food supplies than population growth!
                              How odd. I haven't had to wrestle any obese people to get any of my dietary staples: free-range eggs, grassfed beef, wild salmon, pastured pork, raw milk, coconut oil, butter, and oodles of organic vegetables and fruits. But now that I think about it, there was a lady who seemed pretty ticked that I held her up while pawing through every bacon package to find the best one. She was super buff though, must've been some kind of weight-lifter with those huge arm muscles.

Comment

• Originally posted by spacey47 View Post
                                Are you 5 years old?
                                No, I'm someone who's actually spent time with international development orgs and understands that the complexities of the global food supply are much bigger than whether someone in North America eats an extra-large portion. One of the reasons for obesity is the ready availability of cheap, grain-based (mostly corn-based) calories in North America, which is supported in many ways by massive subsidies. Those subsidies then affect the global food market, making it difficult for farmers in other countries to make a living off their crops and forcing people into poverty and dependence on food aid, particularly when climate conditions cause droughts that make it impossible for people to grow their own food and poverty means they can't afford to buy it. That food aid is often manipulated and blocked by corrupt governments and warlords, leading to famines. Most famine isn't about lack of global resources; it's caused by political and economic circumstances that deny people access to food even when it's available. If aid workers can't get into a country because it's unsafe for them to be there, then people will starve, and all the virtuous self-denial on the part of well-meaning Westerners won't change that.

The oversimplification of the geopolitics of food in your posts is ridiculous, and I think you need to do more research than just reading a sensational BBC article and thinking you know the whole story.

Oh, oops, I almost forgot:

YOU'RE the troll.
                                “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X