fat acceptance movement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I haven't read much of this thread, but... .
    That just about sums it up now, doesn't it?

Comment

• Originally posted by DarthFriendly View Post
      That just about sums it up now, doesn't it?
      look, some people just KNOW

they KNOW things

espn
      beautiful
      yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
      lol

Comment

That's two things.
        You need to get out more

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
          I don't normally agree with Chaco but I agree with this.

And I think he also explained something about the fat acceptance movement. The fat people out there are always on a diet. They are down-regulating their metabolisms. They may or may not lose some weight but once off the diet they gain it back and become the "chubbiest I've ever been." Over and over it goes with ever-increasing fatness. No wonder they want to give up.

The beauty of giving up on dieting and accepting your fat self is now you can look other people straight in the eye. People with that kind of confidence make more money and excel at more things. Confidence is good, if it is real. If that confidence is fake and full of identity politics, then it will ultimately fail. It remains to be seen which is which and ultimately, it's not my job to decide for someone else anyway.

If anything, giving up is why Primal worked for me. I pretty much gave up on the idea of ever losing weight. All I wanted was the appetite control so maybe I could feel normal like other people. It is quite a surrender to purchase bacon and butter in our culture, that is for sure. You really have to give up to do it.

As for Chaco's advice above, I'm finding it somewhat true for my own fat self. After the appetite control, I got some great results with Primal but it went only so far. Just like I gave up initially with Primal, I have given up again lately. Egads I sometimes eat a lot now. Oddly, I don't gain any weight, at least not so far. Instead, I started sprinting, which is something I've never tried. It just burst forth from inside of me one day. It was really quite cathartic and fun. It makes me eat more, but maybe, not quite sure yet, it might be making me look better. It wasn't something I did because I "should", I just one day started running fast and wanted to keep doing it.

And for RitaRose's point, I wanted to mention that the mail carrier lady that delivers my mail is really fat. And today I saw the meter reader lady and she's fat too, like I used to be. I initially lost weight hiking the Pacific Crest Trail but by the time I got to Washington, I was already gaining it back. I could totally see it in my face. I went from double-chin to straight jawline to double-chin again. Exercise, even a marathon every single day, doesn't really work. Dieting doesn't really work. If anything works, I think for some of us anyway, it's just giving up.
          I've been reading this thread since it started but haven't really said anything because I find it really hard to sum up my views. What I bolded above really helps though - by accepting you're fat, you can "move on" in some ways and try to advance yourself in other areas, where your weight shouldn't be a factor, despite still being fat. Obviously, no one should really resign themselves to be UNHEALTHY, if they are unhealthy, but being upset with yourself constantly impacts on more than your health, so I think that's why it's important to accept ourselves.

I have though about this a lot in respect to myself... I have been overweight/obese for 4 years, previous to that I was normal weight. I have sort of managed to trick myself into not believing I was fat this whole time, at least on the surface I acted that way, which has given me an aura of confidence. I think that really has had a huge impact on my life, in good and bad ways. Good things, I have had great jobs, great friends, done well academically, and generally been happy. Bad things... perhaps if I hadn't been successful, and believed I looked ok, I would've lost weight earlier?? I suppose I'll never know about that. But I do know, if I hadn't accepted myself in the mean time, over these last 4 years, I wouldn't have been so successful in my career and social life.

So, these people doing that, I think is a good idea in that respect. If it helps their self confidence enough to get them further in education or their careers then perhaps it'll improve their life enough to re-assess weight loss at a later date. But it depends how they "accept" being fat... if they accept bad health with it, that's not ideal.
          Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
          Bench: 45kg/99lb
          Squat: 100kg/220lb
          Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
          My journal

Comment

• Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
            I'm all for tolerance, and I'd never advocate tearing someone down simply because of their looks. Always judge someone by their character first. But it is not wrong to be a "weightist". It's both natural and healthy to do so.
            Kind of an elaborate justification for intolerance, this post.

Comment

• Originally posted by spacey47 View Post
              You need to get out more
              You need to quit being a poof.

Comment

• Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
                look, some people just know

they know things

espn
                i know.

Comment

You need to quit being a poof.
                  ahhhhh YOUR THE TROLL!!!

Comment

• I find it interesting how some are comparing discrimination for being overweight/obese as the same thing as racial/religious discrimination. I feel it is more akin to discrimination based on disease or disability.

Us big people ought to be treated the same as other people and not laughed at, but we also shouldn't be encouraged to accept our lot. By the same token you would advise people how not to get AIDS without insinuating that people with AIDS are irresponsible. You would advise someone with a degenerative disability that their condition might be improved through diet, without insinuating that they are lazy/unhealthy to start with. We must also do the same for obesity and treat it like a disease, giving advice but in a kindly way.

This is precisely why I generally take advice from some of the people on these forums who have actually been overweight and gotten fit again, since they are more likely to be sympathetic and understand how to lose weight, whereas many professional nutritionists and doctors have never been overweight, don't understand the myriad issues involved besides the actual food, and will usually come across as thinking you're lazy. Maybe I'm prejudiced against thin people though!!
                    Last edited by CaveWeirdo; 06-16-2012, 06:33 AM.
                    Start weight: 238 lbs (March 2012)
                    Current weight: 205 lbs (July 2012)
                    Loss so far: 33 lbs!!!
                    WOE: Primal + IF
                    Movements: Hiking, sprinting.
                    Goal: to see my abs some time in 2013!

Comment

• There's nothing more attractive than confidence.
                      There's nothing more unattractive than someone obsessed with their weight.
                      It's taken me a long time to figure that out, unfortunately.

The fat acceptance movement is not about saying that people should embrace poor health and bad food choices. It's never been about this. It's about making good food choices and doing the best you can for your body. Maybe that ends up meaning you still have a fat body, maybe you're more on the leaner side of life. Whatever you end up looking like, you should value. It's really not a complicated idea, and the fact that so many people have such a hard time grasping this makes me feel really disappointed.

Comment

• I dont have anything personally against the Obese per se

its just in my list of people i feel empathy for they come down pretty far on the list.

Overfed westerners who have more advantages than most of the worlds population, that are a drain on resources due to their often self inflicted lifestyle.

when i see some one grossly overweight in front of me in the supermarket , sweating buckets with red legs where they rub together
                        witha trolly full of cakes, biscuits, crisps and sugar laden soft drinks it does make me feel a bit sick, when you know that there are people in this world who are starving

Comment

• Bestbetter, I can grasp the spirit behind the movement, because I think I'm sexy!! I've never been obsessed with my weight until it became a serious health problem for me, and my attitude has changed towards the issue as a result. Everyone has different priorities in life and I'm not about to have a go at someone else if they don't have their health as a high priority, because I used to be the same way myself, I would scoff at health food junkies.

I think the problem comes when a person is so laid back about their health that it becomes pathological, like a reverse orthorexic/anorexic. I often talk to people who seem to think they are 'pretty healthy' and happy with how they are, when I can see with my own eyes that they are overweight and obviously suffering with some chronic issues. I wouldn't dream of nagging them, I'd only give them nutrition advice if they asked me about it.

But sometimes I just want to say 'I see fat people. They walk around like regular people, but they don't know they're fat.'
                          Start weight: 238 lbs (March 2012)
                          Current weight: 205 lbs (July 2012)
                          Loss so far: 33 lbs!!!
                          WOE: Primal + IF
                          Movements: Hiking, sprinting.
                          Goal: to see my abs some time in 2013!

Comment

• Originally posted by CaveWeirdo View Post
                            I think the problem comes when a person is so laid back about their health that it becomes pathological, like a reverse orthorexic/anorexic. I often talk to people who seem to think they are 'pretty healthy' and happy with how they are, when I can see with my own eyes that they are overweight and obviously suffering with some chronic issues. I wouldn't dream of nagging them, I'd only give them nutrition advice if they asked me about it.
                            [/I]
                            My father is a good example of this kind of person - he is a phenominal cook, takes care to source high quality ingredients, and gorges himself like a glutton on just about anything he can, at the expense of his health. (Granted, in his case, I believe this behavior is the result of him growing up in extreme poverty and neglect and abuse, never knowing if he'd get to eat each day he woke up, but that doesn't make his compensating adult behavior any healthier.) He eats to excess, he drinks to excess, and always has an explanation ready for why his plate of fried calamari or chicken wings or chinese food is totally acceptable.

He is not the kind of person the FAM is about. I would never suggest that he should continue scarfing down chinese food because he should be confident about himself.

I really think it's more about having realistic goals for ourselves, which means accepting that most of us will never look like airbrushed emaciated magazine covers, and that's not only okay, it's actually healthier. It's really about being content with the best results we can get with our bodies by being good to them, regardless of whether that's a size 2 or 14.
                            Last edited by BestBetter; 06-16-2012, 07:29 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DarthFriendly
                              You're calling someone a troll just because they think that you probably suck off strange blokes in the loo at the pub?

Your failure to carefully think through the issues raised in this thread belies a shocking deficit in your intellectual capabilities.
                              Ahhhh YOUR THE TROLL!

Comment

• Originally posted by spacey47 View Post
                                I dont have anything personally against the Obese per se

its just in my list of people i feel empathy for they come down pretty far on the list.

Overfed westerners who have more advantages than most of the worlds population, that are a drain on resources due to their often self inflicted lifestyle.

when i see some one grossly overweight in front of me in the supermarket , sweating buckets with red legs where they rub together
                                witha trolly full of cakes, biscuits, crisps and sugar laden soft drinks it does make me feel a bit sick, when you know that there are people in this world who are starving
                                And what exactly should the grossly overweight person in front of you do about it? If they put all those cakes, biscuits, crisps, and sugar laden soft drinks back on the shelf and filled their carts with vegetables, pasture-raised grass-fed meat, and healthy fats suddenly the entire world would be well nourished, happy, healthy, and prosperous? Of course not. Millions of pounds of food are sent to impoverished nations, billions in aid money is spread around to the same nations, hell, the UN is even trying to tax western countries for climate change to give more money to those poorer nations (because apparently the emissions from the less than 10,000 miles I drive a year is causing African children to starve). And guess what, the countries are still impoverished, the people still starve, and this will continue because the political instability in the region, the warlords who horde the food, and the lack of means to elevate themselves out of poverty will continue. So next time you see some one in front of you that makes you feel a bit sick remember they can't do a goddamned thing about the issue any more than you can pushing your cart around filled with all those healthy foods.

Comment

Working...
                                X