Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by spacey47 View Post
    they should tax unhealthy food like cigarettes and alcohol
    and then we come full circle into what is unhealthy food. I can tell you that in America our current First Lady on her anti-obesity campaign would label anything with saturated fat, high fat, possibly many proteins (beef etc) as unhealthy. Butter? Forget it. Heavy Cream? Unhealthy. Coconut oil? Oh, the horror.

but vegetable oil and soy burgers would be cheap.

Comment

• Originally posted by fiercehunter View Post
      I'm not gonna do anything suggested by the media/weight loss industry the rest of my life.
      Seems to me by avoiding everything suggested by the media/weight loss industry is going to control you just as much as doing everything. Not saying one way is more or less healthy than the other, just that media is still holding power over you if you disregard everything so blatantly. To each their own though.

Personally, I recommend being a chronic skeptic as opposed to a hater. Not everything the media portrays is awful or wrong. I feel a lot of it is, but only after careful consideration. I watch all sorts of eco documentaries, diet films, etc. I just take notes, check sources, compare, etc. To just toss it out BECAUSE it is media just means that you are limiting potential personal growth or value.

Your choice though. If you want to live in a shell of deliberate ignorance, you can. Free will and such.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicator View Post
        We may, perhaps, never be rid of obesity as we may never be rid of congenital heart defects or cancer or what have you. To accept these things, though, is folly. Lean is a more optimal expression of the human phenotype than obese.

The problem with this 'movement' is the very same problem with all leftist movements. It begins innocently, with an emotional plee to increase acceptance and tolerance of a newly defined 'oppressed class'. News articles, scholarly discourses, a Netflix documentary, perhaps a TED talk...and the empathy button of politically active women is pushed and before you know it, the movement is hijacked entirely by power agendas.

The attempt to change your natural bias against obesity will be multi-faceted, as usual. There will be legislation to change your conduct, and educational attempts to tinker with your childrens' minds from a young age. Subtle messages in coloring books and children's TV shows. On women's talk shows, it will become taboo to applaud or congratulate someone for losing weight, as this 'might offend our large friends'. Airlines will no longer be permitted to charge extra for obese passengers. And so on.

The root problem is that, oftentimes, people don't have a very deep well of personal power to draw from. An infant, incapable of feeding itself or providing it's own needs in any way will do what it can do...cry and signal others to see to it's needs. 'Movements' for 'oppressed classes' consist mostly of people who cannot find it within themselves to accept or change themselves and so cry to society to do all of the accepting for them.
        Brilliant and well-written!

Comment

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
          and then we come full circle into what is unhealthy food. I can tell you that in America our current First Lady on her anti-obesity campaign would label anything with saturated fat, high fat, possibly many proteins (beef etc) as unhealthy. Butter? Forget it. Heavy Cream? Unhealthy. Coconut oil? Oh, the horror.

but vegetable oil and soy burgers would be cheap.
          How about anything with trans fats, corn fructose syrup,

Comment

How about anything with trans fats, corn fructose syrup,
            Certainly. And while you and I may agree on what is unhealthy, my point was that the government is not always driven by common sense, fact, or knowledge.

Comment

• I want to say that media does supply positive images of fit women. The unforgettable image of Starbuck doing push-ups the very first scene made me experience one of many deltoid envy episodes. Brienne is prettified (well, so is Tyrion) compared to the book. I think we will see more and more athletic women on the screen, rather than inexplicably masterful martial arts pros photo-models.
              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
              When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                Certainly. And while you and I may agree on what is unhealthy, my point was that the government is not always driven by common sense, fact, or knowledge.
                Sadly that kind of goes without needing to be said...excellent prog on bbc last night called the men who made us fat explores government collusion in todays obesity problems..well worth a watch

Comment

• Originally posted by Leida View Post
                  I want to say that media does supply positive images of fit women. The unforgettable image of Starbuck doing push-ups the very first scene made me experience one of many deltoid envy episodes. Brienne is prettified (well, so is Tyrion) compared to the book. I think we will see more and more athletic women on the screen, rather than inexplicably masterful martial arts pros photo-models.
                  Gina Carano! 5'8 and 140lbs of pure hotness and athleticism.

GinaCarano.jpg

Haywire sucked though.

Comment

s

As soon as someone doesn't agree with idiots like you . You call them a troll... Weak minded nonsense I just disagree with you

In london possibly the most diverse city in the world, where there is EASY access to healthy and cheap foodstuffs people continue to make poor

Choices for what they eat, I see the same kids eating kfc, Mac D that are located next to super markets selling cheap healthy food

We have been bombarded in the uk with healthy eating, its in : schools, on tv, posters, leaflets, doctors surgeries

Remember Jamie Oliver healthy food for kids?

You would have had to been living in a fucking cave to have missed all this .....YET people don't learn or choose not to

Thats their choice of lifestyle...but I don't want to pay for it, they should tax unhealthy food like cigarettes and alcohol
                    I agree with you Spacey. You or anyone here shouldn't be called a troll for disagreeing. An old PE teacher(damn, remember those?)once told me that people who are out there getting results and making it happen usually have limited time to talk about it. By the looks of a lot of these longwinded 'manifesto' replies, the only bodily parts doing sprints are the fingertips. Have a good day.
                    "After all we did for Britain, selling all that corduroy and making it swing, and all we got was a bit of tin on a piece of leather, an MBE." --George Harrison

Comment

• Originally posted by Bioletti View Post
                      I agree with you Spacey. You or anyone here shouldn't be called a troll for disagreeing. An old PE teacher(damn, remember those?)once told me that people who are out there getting results and making it happen usually have limited time to talk about it. By the looks of a lot of these longwinded 'manifesto' replies, the only bodily parts doing sprints are the fingertips. Have a good day.
                      I remember PE teachers ....sadistic barstards :-)

One thing I would say on the subject of PE is that many people talk about how they train regularly and it doesnt work then you see them train and you realize they are just playing at it. They do not train nearly intensely enough.

The one thing I learned from my body building training in my youth is how to truly push myself during exercise, I think a lot of people
                      simply do not know how to cope with the discomfort of intense exercise and so due to body adapation results stop

Exercise should be constantly tweaked to make it harder I think a lot of people don't do that

Comment

• Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
                        That's art draped around a very thin woman- I'm talking about fashion that's actually worn.

You just said two posts up that women look better with fat. Maybe other people like women that are 25% rather than the 20% you like? Maybe? I'm well over 25% and there are men that find me attractive.
                        That's not fat. Fat for a woman is 30+% bodyfat. That's when it starts getting unhealthy. 25% body fat is normal and on par with a man with 15% body fat. That's a healthy level of leanness for many assuming you're somewhat active. It could be questionable on someone with the atrophied skinny-fat look from chronic inactivity, but if you're on the PB that shouldn't be an issue since you're getting good protein and hopefully lifting something.
                        Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leida View Post
                          I don't know what BF% I am, likely about 20% BF (who the heck knows, all the methods tell different, most of them giving me <20% number) but I lift, I eat healthy, I do HIT, and I do not look firm/muscular, even when I do have muscle now on the upper body. I still look soft and pudgy because of the fat on the thighs and the layer of fat around the waist. I don't think any man will honestly look at my figure and go: Whoa! HOT!" . I have my husband, so what other men think is irrelevant, but it is still far from what I want to see in the mirror. I want the muscle to show and no dribble, and no fat filling up the sit like dough in a plastic bag when I sit down on a char. I have a gut feeling that it comes with below 20% BF only if the fat distribution is localized.
                          Leida, I honestly think that's because you're chronically on a diet. You're constantly concerned about your weight and constantly undereating your TDEE in an attempt to "lose weight." You've been on a diet since I tried the UD2. Except you've never gotten off. I'm willing to bet you were on it before I tried the UD2 as well.

I tried experimenting with low-cal for awhile and this is what I noticed:

I was losing all the weight in my muscles. My big lifts (deads and benchpresses mainly) went down while my supplemental lifts plateaued. My body fat stayed unchanged, I was having water weight fluctuations and looking bloated and, the funny thing was, as soon as I upped my calories near maintenance I would pile on fat. It was strange to watch. What is fixing it for me is eating a whole lot more food. All my lifts have gone through the roof (I just PR'd my deads AND benchpresses this week), a lot of water came out from under my skin, I feel a whole lot better and I haven't gained any body fat except for an initial increase that went away pretty quickly.

Any time I've dropped calories significantly, I have gained back all the fat within a week or two of normal eating. I'm almost positive you have a downregulated metabolism. If I were you, I'd totally abandon the calorie counting and just EAT NORMALLY. No, don't eat normally. Actually make yourself full often. There will be an initial weight gain, but I think you're metabolically messed up so any time you eat an extra calorie it partitions way more to fat because of the ensuing "famine" you keep putting yourself through. Eat normally for a month or two and let yourself gain. Focus on getting stronger in the gym and give up tracking. I don't think you have the ability to get the body you want because you don't have the ability to burn body fat. You only burn muscle and connective tissue.

The UD2 made me the leanest I've ever been in my life and chubbiest I've ever been since starting the PB. I came from a healthy place, so the first 6 weeks of the UD2 resulted in a lot of body fat loss. Then I downregulated, gained tons of fat in the 2 weeks after and the next 6 week cycle did nothing but make me chubbier. I lost all the UD2 fat by eating more food and building muscle instead. RECOMP. STOP CUTTING. You probably have sky high cortisol 25 hours a day/8 days a week.
                          Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 06-15-2012, 10:06 AM.
                          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bioletti View Post
                            A web troll is someone who comments in order to simply get a rise out of others. Tossing in comments like "weak minded nonsense" into the conversation serves no purpose if you are not simply trying to irritate. Comments like "longwinded 'manifesto' replies, the only bodily parts doing sprints are the fingertips" is also a troll comment. how does this help the conversation? It doesn't.

And, Mavis Beacon will tell you, I type in excess of 110 words a minute. Being a full time employed SQL Server manager and programmer not only helps typing skills, but leaves time to write these so-called manifestos.

Shame on me for feeling 140 characters is not a means for proper discussion and debate. AS for the implication that typing more than others implies lack of results, you have no way to test or verify that, so mute point. In my experience, working in a school district as a programmer, Gym teachers tend to toss out macho statements like that all the time. Doesn't make them true.

My 80 pounds down, my lack of allergies and asthma, my growing strength, and my mood are all evidence of my progress, regardless of an old PE teacher's uninformed comment.

/manifesto

Comment

I remember PE teachers ....sadistic barstards :-)

One thing I would say on the subject of PE is that many people talk about how they train regularly and it doesnt work then you see them train and you realize they are just playing at it. They do not train nearly intensely enough.

The one thing I learned from my body building training in my youth is how to truly push myself during exercise, I think a lot of people
                              simply do not know how to cope with the discomfort of intense exercise and so due to body adapation results stop

Exercise should be constantly tweaked to make it harder I think a lot of people don't do that

100% agreed. I was in this delusion once.

"Oh, I walked 20 blocks and did 15 pushups! I did a workout!"

Sure, compared to what I was doing before that, it was great. When I actually got to a point that I wanted to push myself, I realized how lacking I was. I made progress over a year and a half, I was able to jump into YAYOG at the 2nd level, but I QUICKLY realized I was babying myself.

Toss in sprints, 30+mile hikes each week, and activities with the kids, I feel I'm in a good place. And yes, tweaking is important. BTW, I have only met a single gym teacher that I ever liked, and he happens to live a primal lifestyle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Winterbike View Post
                                Gina Carano! 5'8 and 140lbs of pure hotness and athleticism.

[ATTACH]7921[/ATTACH]

Haywire sucked though.
                                I fell in love with her in that movie. She was just gorgeous. If she's 140 lbs, it's working well on her. Damn, I weigh 5 lbs more than she does. That's sad on my part. She's also taller than I am and could clearly beat my ass.

Comment

Working...
                                X