Mercury fillings??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercury fillings??

I am considering having all my mercury fillings removed after reading the side effects of these and relating very much to them!
    Does anyone have any experience of this and did they feel better afterwards?

Its quite expensive and not something I want to go into lightly.
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

information here

The "Mercury Toxicity" Scam:: How Anti-Amalgamists Swindle People

Comment

For those who believe in the toxicity, this podcast of Sean Croxton with Rami Nagel might be of interest. Even if you think he's extreme, even he (Rami) is not having all his fillings removed immediately until he's healthy. He recommends to do them slowly, too. You might find this interesting. Cure Tooth Decay with Rami Nagel 05/19 by Underground Wellness | Blog Talk Radio
      SW: 243
      CW: 177
      Goal: Health

Comment

You beat me to it. Hype and fear sell.

Comment

this podcast of Sean Croxton with Rami Nagel might be of interest

Comment

I counted and I have 10 "silver" fillings out of 40 teeth.

Though my boyfriend has been suggesting I get them removed, I honestly think removing fillings from 25% of my teeth would do way more harm than good, no matter what the science is saying right now.
            Durp.

Comment

Look at it this way...you probably get more mercury in your diet every year then all of the mercury in all of your fillings combined.
              "Go For Broke"
              Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
              Small Kine-168/9%
              Now- 200/8%
              Goal- 210/6%

Comment

Note: I totally pulled that out of my rectum, but if anyone can find how much mercury is in an average filling and how much mercury the average American consumes I would be interested to know. My Google-Fu has failed me today.
                "Go For Broke"
                Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
                Small Kine-168/9%
                Now- 200/8%
                Goal- 210/6%

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderlust View Post
                  Look at it this way...you probably get more mercury in your diet every year then all of the mercury in all of your fillings combined.
                  Not likely- the amount of mercury in an average filling, would render all the water in an oylypic size pool too contaminated to drink. Mind you dentists claim mercury in filligs does not leach out - not sure I believe it.

Comment

Now I think you're both pulling things out of orifices not meant for fact production.

I would encourage you to read the above quoted Quackwatch piece, particularly the part about the difference between bound and unbound chemicals.

"Mercury is a component of the amalgam used for "silver" fillings. The other major ingredients are silver, tin, copper, and zinc. When mixed, these elements bond to form a strong, stable substance. The difference between bound and unbound chemicals can be illustrated by a simple analogy. Elemental hydrogen is an explosive gas. Elemental oxygen is a gas that supports combustion. When combined, however, they form water, which has neither of these effects. Amalgam's ingredients are tightly bonded to each other. Although the types of chemical bonds in water and amalgam differ, saying that amalgam will poison you is just as wrong as saying that drinking water will make you explode and burst into flames.
                    Very sensitive instruments can detect billionths of a gram of mercury vapor in the mouth of a person with amalgam fillings. However, the minuscule amount of mercury the body absorbs from amalgams is far below the level that exerts any adverse health effect [1-6]. One study found that people with symptoms they related to amalgam fillings did not have significant mercury levels. The study compared ten symptomatic patients and eight patients with no reported health complaints. The symptom group had neither a higher estimated daily uptake of inhaled mercury vapor, nor a higher mercury concentration in blood and urine than in the control group. The amounts of mercury detected by the tests were trivial [6]. Some studies have shown that the problems patients attribute to amalgam restorations are psychosomatic in nature and have been exacerbated greatly by information from the media or from a dentist."
                    Last edited by Paleobird; 06-13-2012, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Well thank you for all your comments. Im amazed!!!
                      No one seems to feel it would be beneficial - in fact the complete opposite!
                      I will definitely have a rethink.
                      I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

Comment

This is sonmething I too have wondered about, and I have started having my mercuries reduced with cosmetic whites.
                        However, it is moe for vanity and visual purposes - when the tooth shell becomes thinner with age and general deterioration, the mercury can cause a 'shadow' appearance to the tooth, which doesn't look very nice if it is exposed when I smile. Also, I have noticed that the teeth which have mercury fillings tend to deteriorate quicker than those with white fillings- just my personal experience.

I haven't, however, noticed any health improvement with the replacement of whites; I do think it will be worth reviewing when I have them all replaced though - I'm 2 down, and around 6 to go.

Comment

The Quackwatch piece is interesting. I was on the fence about all this (and figured I'd more urgent things to even think about anyway) and it's nice to have an argument that isn't condescending. I may just add that site to my list of go-to sites like snopes.
                          SW: 243
                          CW: 177
                          Goal: Health

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                            Now I think you're both pulling things out of orifices not meant for fact production.
                            Seems to be epidemic on this issue. Quackwatch is not above that. They've villified plenty of claims in the past as being crazy woo which I've found to be on solid scientific ground.
                            Originally posted by paleobird
                            I would encourage you to read the above quoted Quackwatch piece, particularly the part about the difference between bound and unbound chemicals.

"Mercury is a component of the amalgam used for "silver" fillings. The other major ingredients are silver, tin, copper, and zinc. When mixed, these elements bond to form a strong, stable substance. The difference between bound and unbound chemicals can be illustrated by a simple analogy. Elemental hydrogen is an explosive gas. Elemental oxygen is a gas that supports combustion. When combined, however, they form water, which has neither of these effects. Amalgam's ingredients are tightly bonded to each other. Although the types of chemical bonds in water and amalgam differ, saying that amalgam will poison you is just as wrong as saying that drinking water will make you explode and burst into flames.
                            Case in point. The disclaimer "Although the types of chemical bonds in water and amalgam differ" basically refutes this entire argument. The chemistry of the two examples is entirely different. One's a molecule, the other a mixture.

Based on this analogy, the gluten in cake can't hurt you because you mix the wheat flour with sugar and eggs and butter, making batter. If the ingredients in batter could harm you, the hydrogen in water would explode you every time you turned on the faucet.

Actually, no. Both are equally bad analogies.

The issue is not so cut and dry as the proponents of either side of the argument would have you believe. Read the Wikipedia page to get both sides on the matter. I've chosen to have my fillings replaced, and I'll feel a great sense of at-least-placebo relief when the last quadrant is done.

Fact is we don't know if the mercury is enough to adversely affect you, but we do know some leaches out constantly in your mouth where it can be breathed in. I'd rather not have it there.
                            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

The quote about the mercury in a filling came from a statment made by the EPA a number of years ago when they stated how small an amount it would take to render the amount of water in pool as unfit. When you compare that amount to the amount of mercury from an average filling (as listed by the ADA) you will see this is in fact true - if you believe the EPA is right and the ADA is correct.
                              If you want you can figure this out for yourself.

Personally I am not a fan of quack watch. The guy who runs it is very close minded. Would not consider any thing outside of a very narrow conventional medical view.

If you recall your high school chemistry, you may remember your teacher asking a question - what is the one thing that is safe in large doses and can kill you in small doses. Of course it is mercury. You can swallow a tablespoon or more of elemental mercury and it will pass through your body. But small doses of mercury compounds (for some reason methyl mercury comes to mind) will be deadly over a relatively short period.

Cheers
                              J
                              Last edited by twa2w; 06-13-2012, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X