Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another day done. Spain and Italy move on, no real surprise there. I would have hoped Ireland would have gone out a better, but that's futbol. Spain are Spain. Hard to create many chances when you don't have a lot of possession. Sorry Dado:-(

Tomorrow locks up Group D. Sweden v France and England v Ukraine. All but Sweden have something to play for. Predictions? France 3-1 over the Swedes as their attack is starting to get stronger and Sweden can't seem to defend. England 2-0 over Ukraine. England have good momentum on their side, especially after their win over Sweden. Enjoy everyone, and lets keep the chatter alive!!! SG out
    Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

Comment

OMG! England came top out of their group. This is very unfamiliar territory.
      F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
        Congrats on the win:-) Lots of chances in this game, and could have gone either way. France tanked when they needed to shine. Good on the Swedes for going out in style.

Now its quarterfinals time. This is exciting stuff, and will be interesting to see how it unfolds. I still have to think that Sapin and Germany are the favorites (based on group play anyway), but as anyone who follows the game knows, this is tournament play, and we can never count the Italians out (as much as it pains me to say that;-). Will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

Predictions:

Czech Republic v Portugal: 1-2 Portugal are too strong/fast for the Czechs, and have many more scoring threats.

Germany v Greece: 3-0 Nuff said on this one, as the Germans are solid from top to bottom, and Greece have very little scoring threat.

Spain v France: 2-0 Sorry, but Spain are just a class above and will frustrate France to no end.

England v Italy: 1-1 (England win on PKs and break curse:-) England will give up a goal, as their defense has been suspect, but will get one back through Rooney. PKs will finally go in their favor.

Get your rest day in, and see you all Thursday:-) SG out

Comment

Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
          Indeed. Still point out to my ManUtd co-worker now & again the back page of the Sun in December '09 when the WC'10 group was announced: E-A-S-Y (England, Algeria, Slovenia, Yanks). And we all know what happened, England blows it, U-S-A wins the group. My friends today were pulling for England to bottle it & go out, but I was hoping that they'd win & get Italy, setting it up for a 3-0 loss to Italy on a Ballotelli hat trick, which would give us 9 months of great angst in Manchester on his return to City for the upcoming season. Really, it's worth it for his potential T-shirts alone.

Originally posted by SoccerGrok View Post

Czech Republic v Portugal: 1-2 Portugal are too strong/fast for the Czechs, and have many more scoring threats.

Germany v Greece: 3-0 Nuff said on this one, as the Germans are solid from top to bottom, and Greece have very little scoring threat.

Spain v France: 2-0 Sorry, but Spain are just a class above and will frustrate France to no end.

England v Italy: 1-1 (England win on PKs and break curse:-) England will give up a goal, as their defense has been suspect, but will get one back through Rooney. PKs will finally go in their favor.

Get your rest day in, and see you all Thursday:-) SG out
          Was going to say that you were picking chalk until that last one. Yikes, if England wins on PKs, the island will explode & sink into the Atlantic (whether that's a bad thing we can leave for another thread). That said, I like Hodgson, he was a good man @ Fulham (poor fit @ Liverpool), and if they could beat the eye-ties & lose to Spain, that would be a good tournament, especially since he had the job for a whole 3 weeks before it started.

Germany-Portugal could be a good game, but right now this tournament seems Germany's to lose. Quality though Spain are, I think their lack of an effective striker (to Germany's 3) will come back to haunt them. Spain can pass you silly in the midfield, but, it's all for naught if Torres can't finish. Still expect them to make the final, but, wouldn't entirely be surprised if Italy did beat them to make the final.
          Last edited by Vanbiesbrouck; 06-19-2012, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Return of Dado
            UEFA jobbed us because we're not deracinated pansies like the English and French.

Two penalties and that Spain goal was offside.

And we still balled them. Fuck outta here with the tiki-taka, CROATIA FOREVER.

It's because we burned an (rightfully so) EU flag and paraded pics of Gotovina.

F*** UEFA.

If we put 10 Africans on our team maybe they would let us go through.
            Futbol. "Love it, and hate it. You can do both" :-) I'm in for life!!!!!

Comment

Ok, I'm having Euro withdrawals

Comment

Two penalties and that Spain goal was offside.

And we still balled them. Fuck outta here with the tiki-taka, CROATIA FOREVER.
                You had to score at least one goal and came up short. You were cheated out of one penalty, true, but getting a penalty doesn't necessarily equal scoring a goal. Other than that you had two goal scoring opportunities, excellent ones, but failed miserably at both attempts; other than that you failed at creating chances which is kind of too bad when you need that one goal. Spain dominated the game and won deservedly. The goal wasn't offside, feel free to read the rulebook.

Croatia played very well against Spain given their limitations, but in the end failed because it just wasn't enough. Overall just not a very impressive group campaign, you simply need more than just a victory against Ireland who everybody beat.

It's because we burned an (rightfully so) EU flag and paraded pics of Gotovina.
                Gotovina is a sentenced war criminal, sentenced for crimes against humanity. Tell me, why would you parade pictures of him again? Because killing people is fun?

If we put 10 Africans on our team maybe they would let us go through.
                Gotta love the racism.

Comment

Tournament is bubbling up nicely now, I think portugal might do some damage, they have a good combo of defenders, solid midfield and creative strikers and a good team spirit.

What are the bets on balotelli getting sent off at some point?

Comment

Originally posted by spacey47 View Post
                    Tournament is bubbling up nicely now, I think portugal might do some damage, they have a good combo of defenders, solid midfield and creative strikers and a good team spirit.

I've seen bets of Balotelli being the first player of the match to be (yellow or red) carded during the Italy-England match of 16-1 (17.00 decimal, +1700 American odds).

Nothing about just straight red though.

Comment

Originally posted by spacey47 View Post

Balotelli needs to be carded prior, just for being an A** Clown. And for really bad hair!

Gunning for the Czechs, but don't see it happening. Portugal are too strong/fast on the wings, and they defend fairly well. Czechs don't have much in the way of a scoring threat. 2 nil...

Comment

Working...
                      X