Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How has Primal affected your Dinner Prayer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've considered on and off starting some sort of grace ritual before meals. I mean, I can't say thanks when I kill the critter, but I feel like I should say thanks before I eat it. Haven't done it yet, though.

I always liked the Boy Scout one. "Let's say Grace." "GRACE!"
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

We always did the "God is great, God is good, let us thank him for this food" before each meal, didn't hold hands, tho. My dad, who was the sweetest man ever, would say during the middle of a meal, I just wanna thank this chicken/cow/pig for giving up its life so that we can eat to live, and we'd sing out, thank you, Mister or Missus chicken/cow/pig.
      Last edited by JudyCr; 06-08-2012, 12:47 PM.

Comment

I like holding hands to pray even in public, most of the time. If for some reason I'm not feeling close to whoever I'm eating with then I just fold my own hands and bow my head, because when I do hold hands it's a sincere sign of community not something forced, you know?

I thought this thread was going to be about "Give us this day our daily bread", haha. I don't usually use the Lord's prayer for meals though; more like "Thank you for this meal, please help me to glorify you today, please keep (my husband in Afghanistan) safe and strong. Amen." No changes necessary there. (-:
        ~Mollie

Started PB on Monday, June 4. I'm focusing on my health in 2012, including taking natural supplements, zumba and strength training, regular church attendance and studying the Bible, spending time with good friends, and reading more. I want to see what health milestones I can achieve this year!

Starting body fat - 41%
        Starting weight - 170 lbs
        9/4 body fat - 33%
        9/4 weight - 150 lbs

Comment

You can add me to that list.
          Originally posted by Lynna View Post
          I'm a heathen. I don't pray.

Comment

Dear Allah, thank you for inventing evolution and Jebus juice. Amen.

Comment

Knifegill. Thanks for posing this question. Thinking about it, realize I generally don't prayer over meals unless with friends from church. Maybe because while I was certainly appreciative of the blessing of food, even SAD food, there was some guilt, because part of me knew it just wasn't good for me, or the best that HE had to offer. But now, that's changed. So, time to give this another go. Will report back.
              My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

Comment

Unwashed heathen here who doesn't feel the need to pray to any deity. That said, I do think there is some merit in taking a moment before everyone starts stuffing their faces to just appreciate each other's company, being alive and together with such good food.

Comment

Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
                  Zoebird - my cousins went to Waldorf schools (Loheland Stiftung, 36093 Kuenzell, Germany). I am assuming you have children who did/do attend? Sometime, I would like to know how you get around the concept of grains being the superior food thing from Steiner. I own books in German on this topic.

(Sorry for taking a bender off-topic... otherwise I have wonderful memories of their festivals, find the architecture breathtaking, and am still intrigued by many of Steiner's ideas.)
                  I don't worry about it.

Steiner has a lot of really interesting ideas, and I have read a bit about the concept of food/seeds/what not, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with everything, you know?

A lot of the children who attend waldorf school are GF these days, many are vegetarian/vegan, but most are WAPF whole-foodies. Being paleo isn't that much different.

That being said, they make gluten free bread each week as his kindy, and I'm happy to have him make it and happy if he wants to eat it. It's not that big of a deal to me in the grand scheme of things.

For me, the steiner education is beneficial because it deals with the whole child and the overall pedagogy is healthy (imo). the school is very conscious of DS's temperament (all fire!), and they really respect his temperament. In any other schooling environment, he'd be punished like crazy just for being his normal, passionate self. They also are good at balancing temperaments in a classroom setting, as well as meeting unique learning styles through their curriculum. I also like their focus on nature and the natural world (and natural products/toys/learning supplies).

We have a relatively "waldorf-ish" home. I keep the home painted in muted tones, we keep the toys to a minimum and have as many made of natural things as we can (sometimes people give us plastic toys, which DS subsequently destroys and we pitch). And, he helps to cook, to tidy, to garden. We sing a couple of times a day, have reading times (i don't do well with story times, but we try to do it), and now we also do the nichiren liturgy, which has been positive for both DS and I (DH doesn't really care, and most mornings he's out before we do it anyway). We are also "media light" with DS -- books, some time on his computer games (star fall reading game, technically a waldorf no-no, but he loves it), and a few hours of tv (cooking shows or glee) or cartoons (bob the builder on youtube) at week. Between 1 and 3 depending upon the week.

So, there are differences between a "regular" home (as he sees when he goes to many of his friend's homes who are in different schooling styles and different parenting styles) and our home, and also the differences between our home, kindy, and more "waldorfy" families than ours.

Comment

that's a really great question! we never used to pray before dinner (when we were vegans!) but now we say a thank you prayer to the animal that gave it's life for us!

Comment

I think I'm genuinely more thankful now for steak and awesome veggies than a plateful of pasta with a side of bread. Not just for steak but for all the amazing varieties of food that I'm now more aware of than ever when I don't have grains wasting space on my plate.
                      Last edited by carlh; 06-11-2012, 10:33 AM.
                      carl's cave

Comment

We pray before each meal and it hadn't occurred to me to change anything but I like the idea of acknowledging the cow or chicken's life. I will have to think on this. Thanks for the idea.
                        And to all the heathens...Repent!
                        Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Comment

Working...
                        X