Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My roommates are trying to kill me... with carbs.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My roommates are trying to kill me... with carbs.

So I'm in a rather unique living situation where 10 of us share a massive house. On the plus side we have a well equipped kitchen, there's usually lots of meat (often including organic/grass-fed) and frozen veggies, and we maintain a decent-sized garden (a rarity in the city), that's already producing fresh herbs and some greens. Plus we're all meat eaters and there's a lot of great cooks. But....

Everyone is very much on the S.A.D. and in the week I've gone primal (somewhat under the radar as "just taking a break from refined grains/sugars", because my roommates aren't exactly the most supportive people) it's felt like I'm living in a really SAD restaurant. From daily baking... berry pie, raspberry/coconut cake, magic bars, blueberry cheesecake, lemon tart to just "standard" cooking... pasta, more pasta, corn casserole, rice dish after rice dish, cheese bread, pigs in a blanket, etc. Not that it was all bad, some burgers and chicken and great pasta sauce in the mix.

With the kitchen table being the main social hub of the house, I'm seriously struggling to 1) not be insanely tempted, and consequently grumpy, and 2) not utterly segregate from community food life. Just a week into Primal and I'm already getting to the point where I'm barely in the kitchen except to cook (even eating in our dining room, which isn't totally weird, but not typical) and I'm turning down 95% of the stuff that they make.

After looking through many "visiting relatives" threads there were some helpful hints, but this is more-so a non-stop situation. Any thoughts on combatting carb temptation when it's unavoidable and living with roommates that aren't supportive.
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

What is a "Magic Bar?" I want one!
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
      What is a "Magic Bar?" I want one!
      magic%20cookie%20bar.jpg

Comment

In private, eat butter by the spoonful until you are not hungry for anything.
        You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

wellllll, there's no way around this. you live with 10 young people. it's kind of inevitable... sorry.

Comment

Fix your meals ahead of time, the stuff you want to eat for dinner and such, and eat that with your roommates. As to refusing the temptation of all the bad foods-the pasta, the grains, the baked goods, ect-just remember what the bad foods have gotten you before; remember the bad things they led to whether that be weight gain, bloating, breakouts, whatever, and that'll pretty much make it so not worth it.

Also, just a reminder, carbs aren't bad-your body needs them to some extent. It's the sources of the carbs, like the baked, breaded, pasta stuff that are evil but not the carbs in general. Carbs from fruits, veggies, and other sources are fine.
            Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

Comment

That would be so hard.. It's hard even without all the junk in your house, gotta be depressing at first to see all the sugary and bread-y things.. Good thing is you will lose most of the desire to eat grains and sugar after awhile. You'll have to tell them you're off sugar and grains, you want more energy and you feel like you've been eating too many carbs lately.

Keep hard boil eggs in the fridge, macadamia nuts in ziplocs in your pocket and purse, beef jerky if u like it, good salami slices from the deli, bacon, too, of course. Roast your favorite veggies, have some raw to grab from the fridge, grill up a load of chicken, organic strawberries in cream, org apples and green tea w/lime.. All of these will keep you satisfied and if something looks unbelievably delish, take one bite, savor the hell out of it before you swallow and decide that one bite was enough for you to taste it, compliment the cook and then drink some water, loads of filtered water.

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
                wellllll, there's no way around this. you live with 10 young people. it's kind of inevitable... sorry.
                We actually range in age from early 20's - late 50's, and from 4 different countries. I know, we're a motley crew. It's fun though.

Originally posted by trekfan View Post
                just remember what the bad foods have gotten you before... Also, just a reminder, carbs aren't bad-your body needs them to some extent. It's the sources of the carbs, like the baked, breaded, pasta stuff that are evil but not the carbs in general. Carbs from fruits, veggies, and other sources are fine.
                Definitely helpful reminders. I'm keeping an eye out for meats, fats and good carbs that I can share with them. Also, cooking for everyone is another route I'm trying to take. Though it's a challenge, when I'm still just trying to figure out how to feed myself Primal. Tonight I'm cooking 3 small, organic, grass fed hens, with sweet potatoes and some sauteed veggies.

Comment

Originally posted by JudyCr View Post
                  Keep hard boil eggs in the fridge, macadamia nuts in ziplocs in your pocket and purse, beef jerky if u like it, good salami slices from the deli, bacon, too, of course. Roast your favorite veggies, have some raw to grab from the fridge, grill up a load of chicken, organic strawberries in cream, org apples and green tea w/lime.. All of these will keep you satisfied and if something looks unbelievably delish, take one bite, savor the hell out of it before you swallow and decide that one bite was enough for you to taste it, compliment the cook and then drink some water, loads of filtered water.
                  Great advice, thanks. Not sure I'm at the "take one bite" point yet though. But I could see that as an option when I'm already feeling really full and wouldn't be likely to want more.

Comment

DashFire - since you are on here, I know you have a computer handy, so here goes:

google the terms "SCD recipes"; "Specific Carbohydrate Diet recipes"; "flourless cake recipe" and go to a website called pecanbread.com.

I have one daughter who has been growing on a grain-free, legume-free, dairy-free, added-sugar-free (almost), clean diet for a whole host of serious issues for a little over 6 years now. Sounds like the Primal, doesn't it (but their focus is to heal ulcerative colitis / Crohn's disease)? I had to learn to cook for one ravenous kid without grains. Holy cow, that was a learning experience. But we are at much more peace now, and I did it by relearning to bake using nuts / nut butters / nut flours. The above website and googling will help you find easy recipes. Austria is one of the homes of flourless baking for cakes, and you might be able to find a special-occasion thing for your housemates (flourless hazelnut cake is worth walking a mile or two for).

Here is my top-secret recipe for a seven-minute almond bread made in the microwave, but you will need a blender with cajones:

Into a blender container, add:
                    1/2 cup almonds (I have whole unblanched in the freezer)
                    1/2 cup clean water, dribbled so there is a bit less than 1/2 cup (I have never bothered to measure this "less than 1/2cup" thing, I just like the texture better this way)
                    pinch sea salt
                    2 large eggs
                    a squirt local honey
                    a dash of cinnamon or apple pie spice if you want it (makes it smell delicious)
                    Blend until smooth, creamy and batter-y.

Then add:
                    1/2 tsp baking soda
                    Blend just to distribute well.

Pour into a well-greased micro-safe shallow pan, but make sure the pan is double the height of the batter at least as the bread will rise as it cooks. Micro on high for 7 minutes 30 to 7 minutes 45 seconds. I have no special microwave, just a regular old Whirlpool and this is my time.

As soon as the microwave dings, take out the pan and invert onto a cooling rack. I use a ceramic dish, and consequently my bread sticks a little, but if I invert the whole thing (bread in pan and leave the upside-down pan on the rack), the bread will loosen itself just from the steam rising in a minute or two. The biggest point is that if you leave the bread in the pan too long, the steam will make your bread soggy on the underside.

I send it to school in a brown paper bag in her lunch container (because I make this fresh for her in the mornings, hers is still warm and steamy when it goes...). It keeps fairly well, even though it was meant to be cooked and eaten fresh. Once it is completely cool, you could Tupperware and fridge the thing for the next day. We never make sandwiches with it, just cut it into wedges and eat it with nut butter, butter (or, in her case, dairy-free margarine (I know you are Primal, but she is SCD and I am only 6 weeks into the Primal myself), or jam (not Primal, but tasty...). Been making this for 5 years now, and recipe has never failed me. The apple-pie-spice aroma will get you...

If this works for you, I have a cashew butter muffin recipe that I will share, just ask. I know what you are going through - I remember trying to eat veg at family Thanksgivings...
                    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Forget about food and concentrate more on the orgies....

On a side note, magic cookie bars are a weakness for me. Only around atChristmas time in my family and I have been known to eat half a pan.
                      Last edited by Fernaldo; 06-07-2012, 02:46 PM.
                      "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by crabcakes
                        Here is my top-secret recipe for a seven-minute almond bread made in the microwave
                        Thanks for the recipe. Unfortunately we don't have a microwave. Have you tried it in the oven? I may give it a go and report back.

Thought I'd share an update on the roommate situation. One roommate in particular keeps telling me how unhealthy things I'm eating are because of fat or cholesterol or caloric content. But this isn't limited to just me, he says stuff like that to whoever. I'm slowly trying to inform him.. "not all fat is bad fat", "dietary cholesterol doesn't equal blood cholesterol", etc.

The primal meal I prepared the other night for the house went well, especially with one African roommate who sat down and ate with me, and challenged me to eat with my hands (like he usually does). So that was fun, and totally primal.

But alas, today was house grocery day and the temptation continues (though is quickly subsiding)...

IMAG3491.jpg

but, on the plus side, we got about 20lb of organic strawberries and more organic, grass-fed whole chickens.

IMAG3495.jpg

Comment

Hey, I'm totally with you. My roommate, when I told him I wasn't interested in joining him for a stellar dinner of vegtable-less, grain-fed, carb loaded beef noodle dinner, said I was being too anti-social and that I need to lighten up a lot. Apparently a few "insignificant noodles" won't kill me.

Geeze, all I said was "no thanks, I already have dinner plans." =|

Besides, there's a big line between death and feeling like crap.
                          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

I totally feel your pain- I'm home for the summer so I'm dealing with the temptations of being surrounded by CW foods and snacks. I think I have an advantage, however, since I've been primal for almost a year now (and living on my own so no temptations around) - kudos to you for trying to make the switch surrounded by non-primal people. I don't think I could do it - so I'm really rooting for you! But anyways here are some tips that I find work for me, perhaps they might be some food for thought.

To me primal is about enjoying food, not deprivation. Being surrounded in CW treats will definitely raise the deprivation factor - so to counter that I try to find primal foods to eat at the same time other people are eating CW foods. Try to come up with options for foods you have the most trouble resisting - and find something primal that sounds freaking amazing to you to have instead. So for example, if sweets are a problem - find an amazing primal dessert to have on hand. If it's bread, think of something that that can actually trump that (for me bacon and anything cooked in (lots of) butter does it - play with your primal favourites).

My other tip for your time of transition is to spoil yourself a bit at the beginning. When I started primal, to beat the carb flu I totally stuffed my face (with only primal foods). I was eating an insane amount. Once my body transitioned my food intake went down a lot. But to start I would suggest not fearing eating too much- it'll keep you full, and make it easier to resist CW foods, but I found there was something really psychologically liberating about eating as much bacon and butter as I wanted and knowing it was doing my body good.

Hope this might be of use to you.
                            Primal: Because I like to have my steak, and eat it too

Current Primal Journal
                            My Old Primal Journal - Surviving my summer away from home
                            Food blog: Sex or Chocolate: I choose STEAK!

Comment

No, never tried baking the almond bread in an oven. I do have other recipes, though, that do go into an oven and I will say that they are demanding and sensitive creatures - not too much heat or they burn. Just like me (white-haired, pasty-skinned, and blue-eyed...).

So I would suggest keeping the temp in the high 200F ranges tops to begin the experiment. If your set-up can handle it (combo of nice pans plus nice oven for ex.), or you just are a better baker than I, and you can watch the batch carefully, hey, crank it higher.

One of my favorite aids to baking are AirBake cookie sheets. A cookie-baking fiend of a friend turned me on to them years ago. They are basically two cookie sheets crimped together so that a layer of air is more-or-less trapped between. Amazing insulation. I add a layer of parchment paper, and this formerly cookie-challenged chef can actually bake cookies! (Now, I have just chosen not to eat them... aw, dang - all the cookie-baking learning just got ignored with the Primal...)

Perhaps if you have thinner baking pans of metal, double them up for baking - top one holds the batter, bottom one adds a little bit of insulation - helps with thinner, cheaper pans and/or sensitive batters.

Let me know how it turn out! And hang in there! I am in week 7 and still losing inches - yeeeeeeehaw!!
                              I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Working...
                              X