Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"There's a Huuuuge Adult" AKA Kids say the darndest things

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    After dinner was chatting about sports with a friend (who is still learning the nuances of English and "polite" conversation). I mentioned I like playing several sports, but not very good, in large part because I'm a big guy and can't move very fast. He replies (I'm paraphrasing)...

    "I don't understand how you got so fat... I've seen your facebook picture (when I was 21 and only 200lb). Usually in before & after (pictures) someone is big (as he puts his arms out to show bigness) and then little (holds hands close together). You're the other way."

    I couldn't help but chuckle. Mostly because he was earnestly perplexed and just communicating that the best way he knew how. That and I guess...It's funny cause it's true?!?
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

    I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

    Comment


    • #32
      Please keep in mind, I stand around 6'1" and am both overweight, and powerfully built.

      I went into a special programs classroom one day to repair the computer. It was a new program in the school integrating high function special needs kids, with a wide age range. The staff were new, and did not know me.

      As I walked in and said hello, a little girl maybe 10 or so piped up "Wow, are you ever BIG!"

      The staff looked like they wanted to die or crawl through the floor, except for the ones that looked somewhat terrified at what my reaction would be. I, of course, looked straight at the girl, and in my bestest, deepest scary voice replied "Yeah, and I'm meeeaaannn toooooooo" and bared my teeth.

      Adults freeze. Kidlet looks at me for a second, laughs, and says "you're just like Shrek!" and promptly falls over giggling. I spent the next hour having kids measure how tall they were against my back, and reading stories in funny voices.

      I knew the girl didn't mean to be rude or unkind. She knew I wasn't mean or fierce. I could have been hurt, it's what the adults all expected, but I am not like they are. I prefer to be more like kids are. Take things as they are said, and listen to what they mean, not the words used. Kids especially don't have enough words and meanings, they have a delightful honesty but also amazing acceptance if we don't get in the way of it.
      Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

      Big Fat Fiasco

      Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

      Comment


      • #33
        Another one. I went into a class of oh, I would say Grade 5 boys, to fix a computer. One boy says "OH my GOD you're huge!!"

        Teacher freezes. I raised an eyebrow at the kid, and before I can say a word he says "Can you be our goalie at recess? You'd be awesome!!"

        The teacher saw my weight. The kid (and his friends, all of who agreed I would make the coolest goalie) saw my size and power, and thought it was great.

        Sadly, I had to tell them I could not play goal. I did show them how I could touch the ceiling though.
        Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

        Big Fat Fiasco

        Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by ElaineC View Post
          The teacher saw my weight. The kid (and his friends, all of who agreed I would make the coolest goalie) saw my size and power, and thought it was great.
          Funny. I too have noticed that adults tend to either freeze or freak out when kids "impolitely" point out obvious things about weight. Mostly just because they are curious. Though some kids can be rather rude about it.

          A friend once had a kid, almost snearingly ask "oh my god, how did you get so fat?". He told him "a kid was rude to me, so I ate him." That shut the little brat up.
          My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

          I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

          Comment


          • #35
            We had a client at the counseling service where I work whose somewhat developmentally disabled son was about 6ish at the time. She was writing out her copay check and the boy came up to me and said "you have a fat stomach." I just started laughing and Mom tried to crawl through the back of the sofa in horror, all the while admonishing her son that he shouldn't say things like that. I just looked at her and laughed and said he wasn't telling me anything that I didn't already know.

            Elaine - your stories are great. I bet the kids there love you.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by ElaineC View Post
              Please keep in mind, I stand around 6'1" and am both overweight, and powerfully built.

              I went into a special programs classroom one day to repair the computer. It was a new program in the school integrating high function special needs kids, with a wide age range. The staff were new, and did not know me.

              As I walked in and said hello, a little girl maybe 10 or so piped up "Wow, are you ever BIG!"

              The staff looked like they wanted to die or crawl through the floor, except for the ones that looked somewhat terrified at what my reaction would be. I, of course, looked straight at the girl, and in my bestest, deepest scary voice replied "Yeah, and I'm meeeaaannn toooooooo" and bared my teeth.

              Adults freeze. Kidlet looks at me for a second, laughs, and says "you're just like Shrek!" and promptly falls over giggling. I spent the next hour having kids measure how tall they were against my back, and reading stories in funny voices.

              I knew the girl didn't mean to be rude or unkind. She knew I wasn't mean or fierce. I could have been hurt, it's what the adults all expected, but I am not like they are. I prefer to be more like kids are. Take things as they are said, and listen to what they mean, not the words used. Kids especially don't have enough words and meanings, they have a delightful honesty but also amazing acceptance if we don't get in the way of it.
              That's awesome. My wife also 6'1" and big, is a lifestyle photographer and I often get to go with her oh her weekend shoots and I absolutely love the way kids react to her . . . and of course the inevitable look of horror on their parent's faces when they blurt something inevitable.

              Like in your goalie story, the kids see the advantages, not the stigma, her height (and strength) means she gives better *airplane rides* or can boost them up to that tree branch no one else can reach (and get them down again).

              She loves it. After a week of putting up with the prejudices and expectations of adults in her day job, she loves getting mobbed by kids on the weekend.

              Give me the blunt honesty of children over the false smiles of adults any day.

              Comment


              • #37
                My mom will never let me forget about the time she took me to church as a toddler and we sat behind a morbidly obese woman in a red dress. I whispered to her, as loudly as humanly possible, "MOMMY, THAT'S A BIIIIIIIIIG RED DRESS!!!!!"

                Ah, the uncensored social ineptitude of children!

                Comment


                • #38
                  I had flown north to see my mum and dad in a different city. While I was there I caught up with a friend who I hadn't seen in years. She is tall and big boned, as well as overweight.

                  My son and daughter were in the bath when she came around to mum and dads. My daughter would have been 3 and a 1/2, my son about 2.

                  She came into the bathroom to say hello, and my daughters says "Wow - why are you so fat?", I cringe, and my friend says "cos I eat to much!" I was just about to say something when my 2 year old pipes up with "My name's Finn, and I can pull the skin back on the end my willie, see?!" and promptly does it...

                  Oh my god it was hilarious... She still laughs about it...

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    While doing some sprinting on my rebounder, my son told me that I looked like a hippo trying to be a cheetah! I mean really, kid that's cold.
                    Last edited by cavequeen; 07-16-2012, 09:57 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Boyfriend to his mom after being spoken to by an African American man: "Mommy, the chocolate man talked to me!"
                      Depression Lies

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        this thread has me laughing out loud, especially the word choices by the kids! reminds me of my nephew exactly.
                        Last edited by jesssa; 07-16-2012, 11:06 AM.
                        it does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live

                        at just the right time, we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don't give up

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Mmmm...chocolate men.
                          Oops!
                          Sometimes grownups say the darnedest things, too!

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            I always tell my 6 year old to get her "tiny hiney" to bed, to the table, in the shower, etc. It's just a playful statement but one time she said to me, "Mommy, if I have a tiny hiney, what does yours rhyme with?" After a few seconds of thought she shook her head and said, "Nothing, your hiney is just really big."

                            She didn't mean it to be hurtful or spiteful, and I laughed so hard that I had to sit down right there in the middle of the hallway. After all, she is pretty right on!!
                            My Story As It Unfolds

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by DashFire View Post
                              A friend once had a kid, almost snearingly ask "oh my god, how did you get so fat?". He told him "a kid was rude to me, so I ate him." That shut the little brat up.
                              Love this, so funny!
                              "Imagine all the people, living life in peace..."

                              "Nothing will work unless you do."

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                My oldest son is SO skinny and has been since birth. In kindergarten they were asked to draw a picture of what they wanted to be like when they were 100 and he drew a big circle with arms, legs, a head and a heart inside. His greatest aspiration at age 5 was to be fat. This just serves to preface the story of about a week later when we were in the paint section at Walmart and a very large employee was helping us. My son could not hold still. He was jumping up and down, gasping in amazement and stifling giggles. I tried to keep him quiet as I feared some rude thing would come out of his innocent mouth, but when I looked down at his face, I realized he was star struck! He exclaimed in an excited half-whisper, "Mom!! Did you see? A real life fat man! That was awesome!!"
                                You don't have to be sick to get better.
                                Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
                                Primal start: 1/2/2012
                                My Primal Journal
                                Living, loving and learning.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X