Cold water bathing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold water bathing?

I read about the concept on the Pay Now Live Later blog. Seems to make sense; bathing in bodies of water was a chilly affair for Grok.

So this morning I took my first ever unheated shower. Yeeeeiiikes! I was gibbering like a madman just to get through it. At the end I felt really refreshed and hyper-alert, but a bit queasy because I did it right after breakfast (next time I'll try it right before).

Does anybody else do cold water bathing? Have you noticed positive health results? What's the best way to do it for maximum effect?

I've been taking cold showers almost exclusively for about a year. Personally, I haven't noticed any real health benefits, although they are invigorating (if a little less so during the winter). Richard at Free The Animal also does cold water (or used to; been a while since he's posted about it):

http://freetheanimal.com/2008/09/cold-shower.html

I think he has some other posts where he mentions it too and I think he talks about doing immersion at a certain temperature to get maximum results. If you come across more findings, let me know!

Comment

Timothy, there are some studies that show health benefits to regular cold water immersion. It may help the lymphatic system and also increases your cold tolerance. There may have been a post about this a while ago on MDA.

I would not do cold water immersion after eating. Just guessing that the sudden shock would make your body go into fight/flight mode and turn off digestion. I would also ease into it over time.

I like to do cold water in short doses, generally the last minute of a shower. I at least get the impression that it improved my cold tolerance this last winter. I also will have a cold shower at the gym after a workout.

Basically, this is something that is optional in my book and doesn't give obvious/readily apparent benefits. But I do get the impression that it is refreshing, a good positive stress on the body (like fasting or exercise), and improves my cold tolerance.

Comment

I take only cold showers. I read about the cold water concept at Free The Animal and I haven't taken a hot shower since. It is not very comfortable, but it is invigorating in some way and makes me feel alive. I don't know if I'm experiencing any benefits, but I'd like to think that over time, it will have benefits.

Comment

I think I will put off trying it until the summer :-). My excuse is that I'm beat right now, and my body needs a little nurturing right now before it's up for shock therapies :-)

Comment

Ugh. As much as I wanted to, I couldn't get myself to like cool showers. There are just some creature comforts I will never give up I guess. Hot showers are one of them.

Comment

Great to hear I'm in good company with the cold water showers. I might end up like Diana, and I'm certainly not giving up hot water bathing altogether, but man, what an entertaining kick in the pants that cold shower was. I'm curious to find out how long I can stand it.

Comment

I do a shot of cold water at the end of every shower. It 1. wakes me up more, 2. makes my hair softer (Seriously it does) and 3. makes me feel like I accomplished something at 6am or whenever I take my showers.

Live Like No One Else

http://primalterp.blogspot.com/

Comment

hmm I never heard of this before but I take showers on the colder side but that's only because I don't really like hot water. I can't shower with my gf unfortunately because she likes hot showers. I feel hot showers make me drowsy. Taking purposely COLD showers though, nah, no thanks.

I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I set the shower to a medium temperature, not warm but not cold, and get in. Then, I progressively lower it.

I can last a long time at a medium-cold temperature, but when I lower it as low as my shower will go (tested it, about 55-58 degrees F), it's a true test of my resolve.

I try to imagine that I'm bathing in a mountain stream. I have stopped using shampoo and soap, as well. I just rinse thoroughly with the cold water.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I swear that ever since I stopped using shampoo, I have much less dandruff.

Comment

I LOVE cold showers, esp after a workout. Cold baths are reserved for the heat of summer, but they are delicious too.

I however, will never give up super hot baths with epsom salts the rest of the year. Often followed by a cold shower. Great for my skin.

The more I see the less I know for sure.
                      -John Lennon

Comment

Oy. Hot water heaters were invented for a reason... I'm afraid I'll have to pass on this one.

Comment

not even gonna try this one. I hate, hate, HATE being cold....and cold + wet is even worse. A cold shower will instantly ruin my mood for several hours.

A cool shower in the summer after being outside is one thing....a cold shower in a regular basis? No thanks!

I tried the no shampoo thing for a few days...I probably didn't give it enough time, but my hair looked like crapola. I might try that one again.

Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

cold water rinses help to close the cuticle of the hair shaft resulting in smoother, softer hair and also help close the pores in your skin for a smoother, tighter look and also helping to keep dirt and other bad things out. i always end my shower with cold water rinse, often, half my shower is cold water!!

Comment

Cold showers - nah, not for me. Can't afford the shrinkage

Comment

Working...
                              X