Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NY tries to ban large soda sales- gotta hear from my fellow Grokkers!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's funny the posters quoting adam smith stating that he believed that government control was essential
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldsmith View Post
      Banning anything is bad in my opinion.
      I'm not going to read this whole thread. There's no point because the first reply is the 100% correct answer. I world where everyone is free to buy soda and cigarettes is better than a world where soda and cigarettes are banned. If we let the government simply ban everything they deemed unhealthy, steak, bacon, eggs and butter would be illegal. Think about THAT.
      Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

• Well otoh maybe jumbo sized Cokes really isn't the problem..................

Comment

• From the exact article you posted:

Are bacon-cheeseburgers next? As a practical matter, no. Sodas are an easy target because there is nothing, nothing, nutritionally redeeming about them. But might there come a day when the New York City Department of Health mandates that burgers be limited to, say, four ounces? Indeed there might. And why not? Eight- and ten-ounce burgers are sick things.
          You have got to be fucking kidding me. An 8oz burger is an absolute joke. I am practically starving after 16 oz of meat. Just after a workout alone, I eat 20 oz of ground beef or turkey, 2 pounds of sweet potatoes, a pint of Greek yogurt, a pound of pureed pumpkin and some fruit. Why? Because my body is hungry and trying to grow and it wants that much food. And I only weigh 145 lbs and stand a lousy 67 inches tall. A taller, larger man would need considerably more.

I can say this with absolute, unwavering certainty: Michael Tomasky is an ignorant, despicable scumbag and reading anything written by this statist twit is a "sick thing."
          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

• Eight- and ten-ounce burgers are sick things.
            I eat 8 ounce burgers all the time. With a side of veggies its an under 500 calorie meal. Like less calories than a couple slices of pizza. Or most fast food salads with dressing.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
            Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

• The general public can't be saved, let them have Coke.

Comment

• I'll have 15 White Castle sliders please, with onions and mustard, hold the pickles.

Comment

• 15 White Castle sliders please
                  That's probably less than 8 ounces of beef.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                  Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

• Hamburger of the future... The Bloomburger

Comment

• "It actually looks like a real hamburger if you wear Japanese diet glasses." --Mayor Bloomberg

Japan 'diet glasses' fool wearers into eating less - Yahoo! News

Comment

• That is the saddest burger I've ever seen.
                        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

• It's all bread, dude, seriously ain't worth the money they pay for it. I'll use that money to buy me some real meat.

Steak>Whitecastle any day.
                          Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

Comment

• Would anyone else like to join my moonshine/soda backwoods distillery operation when they ban soda in the Midwest? We could just use stevia. We could be flippin' rich! *chews on a piece of straw and gives squinty-eye

Comment

• Originally posted by Sihana
                              The vacuum fills back up, and the first thing that will cross Bloomberg's mind is, "They must be getting their fix from other cities!"

That is when he and his constituents start planning for a campaign at state level.
                              Either that, or he builds a wall around New York. ;-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sihana
                                So far, it only effects soda's you would get if you were served it (and maybe if you got it at a speedway store). They are not proposing to keep it out of grocery stores.

However, if they do go through with it, then they will see results. Some people will drink less soda at the avenues it is available, and when those statistics come in, Bloomberg will point to it and say "See?! IT IS EVIL!" He will then get very good support for anything further. He will be in a pickle though. He cannot just ban soda outright (CocaCola and Pepsi will be abducting him if he tries), so he will raise the taxes on it or even worse, require you to get it from behind a locked glass display.

Any step then further, will work, because people are lazy. Around this time, the people that switched from soda to diet soda or fruit juices, will start upping their intake, because it is "healthy." Bloomberg has what he wants, a relatively soda-free city. One problem though; his previously soda-addicted people are turning for the worse again, with any weight they lost coming back on. The vacuum fills back up, and the first thing that will cross Bloomberg's mind is, "They must be getting their fix from other cities!"

That is when he and his constituents start planning for a campaign at state level.

I am still waiting for Moonbeam to propose similar in California.
                                LOL, reminds me of how Walgreens started carrying condoms in a locked case. It was supposed to be a theft deterrent, but I can imagine, for teens, it ends up as a deterrent against safe sex. Oh, they'll still do it, but not in any regulated sense. I'm imagining orgies of Big Gulp parties. LOL!!

Comment

Working...
                                X