Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do I sleep better in a light room instead of a very dark room?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sleeping in the light

Ive just starting a job where I work 3pm - 3am and its totally messing with my body clock! I hate having to sleep during the day. Especially when its a great day outside, I need to get some black drapes I think. I have gotten used to sleeping where its really dark and quiet, so I guess you just used to sleeping in the light. It takes a while to adjust to change. (sometimes you just never adjust) just do whatever you need to do to get a good nights rest I reckon. I wish I could have more right now, I feel like such a waste of space being so tired. Any advice on how to adjust to night working? I still wanna have energy when I get up to do something!!

Comment

I slep very soundly during the day if I have the opportunity. I find I wake up feeling better and more rested. It doesn't happen often, I don't get the chance with life being busy, but I do like a good daytime sleep at least once a month.
      Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

I sleep with the window open and the blinds up.

Comment

Ive just starting a job where I work 3pm - 3am and its totally messing with my body clock! I hate having to sleep during the day. Especially when its a great day outside, I need to get some black drapes I think. I have gotten used to sleeping where its really dark and quiet, so I guess you just used to sleeping in the light. It takes a while to adjust to change. (sometimes you just never adjust) just do whatever you need to do to get a good nights rest I reckon. I wish I could have more right now, I feel like such a waste of space being so tired. Any advice on how to adjust to night working? I still wanna have energy when I get up to do something!!
          so what hours do you actually have to sleep? Yeh I have known people who work crazy hours and it really is very difficult to force your body to get used to that type of sleeping schedule. what hours would you be able to do something during the day?? How doe sit affect your stress/ eating/hunger schedules? I would never be able to work nights or odd hours I don't think.
          I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

Comment

I have no problem with darkness, it's dead silence that prevents me from sleeping. My mind starts doing wind sprints, and all the great teeth grinding and various other wonderful noises that the wife makes while sleeping triggers my misophonia. For that reason I always need the tv on to fall asleep just for background noise.

Comment

That just reminded me of several years ago when my husband's relatives came to visit. We're very rural - no streetlights (hell, no streets), no traffic, just woodsy noises like owls & coyotes & the little creek.

They couldn't sleep a wink, too dark & too quiet & the noises they did hear were 'scary'. And if that's not awful enough, we have no TV or cell service - they left after two nights - YES!

Comment

LJH, that is funny!! We, too live EXACTLY like you do! I have one noise for you - we live just less than a dirt road mile from the township fire department garage, and there on the property are the tractor pull lanes... try one a.m. and hearing RRROOOOOOAAAAAAAARRRRR! (We love the pulls, by the way - my daddy was a frequent visitor of the drag races so it feels just like childhood...)

We all love our country life now, but it wasn't always that way for the whole family... several years ago we moved from urban New Jersey - just one hour from downtown Manhattan. When my Jersey girls (we have a pile of daughters all born in the Garden State) were little and couldn't sleep we would ride into Manhattan and tool around Times Square. All the lights actually made them fall asleep. They were so used to the constant background noise and artificial light that when we moved out here it really disrupted their sleep.

Now, they love it and urban noises and city lights keep them up. I think a lot of it is what you are used to, and individual variation. I am one of the lucky ones who can sleep through almost anything: rural, urban, sitting on a trans-Atlantic flight, chain-saw-snoring hubby, cruise ship, noisy thunderstorms, whatever. The only things I cannot sleep with are TOTAL DARKNESS, TOTAL SILENCE, a HOT BEDROOM, and pillows that are so high I get a crick in my neck overnight (I prefer no-to-very-flat pillows). Even in the country, there are noises, but I find them soooooo soothing.

When we visit the in-laws, they are of the sort that like to have bedrooms that are like incubators. UGH!!!! THAT makes me lose sleep - and yes, I have cracked the windows in the middle of winter! Thank goodness they are also of the closed-doors-at-night variety, so they don't notice the 15-degree difference... I just close the windows again when I wake up and the room heats enough not to cause comment. (Really, I have superb in-laws, but we have some lifestyle differences, and I prefer not to hit them over the head with anything if it is something I can easily modify...)

Why does it have to be blackout curtains? If you were getting restful enough sleep that you are satisfied, leave it that way. Blackout curtains would NOT work for me - almost my whole life I have had NO curtains on any windows at all (and here we don't need any - we live in the smack in the middle of our own forested acreage). If you want to play with light to see what it does for you, perhaps get a fabric that dims your nighttime light sources, but isn't so all-or-nothing. (The no-curtains-on-the-windows thing REALLY bugs my mother-in-law... she always feels like someone is constantly peeping in. It got so bad for her once that she actually almost asked us to put curtains up. Almost - lots of talk about Peeping Toms so I know it really bugged her, but no actual request.)

I am such a natural night owl that the no-curtain thing actually helps me - I get morning sunlight on the ol' puss, which does wake me up. Curtained windows make me sleep much longer, which in turn makes me stay up longer at night, which becomes a problem in the mornings because, you know, life won't wait until you crawl out of bed at 11.00 a.m. or so... so I know there is a lot to the sleep cycle and melatonin thing.

But - in your case, if it ain't broke don't try to fix it. For the sensitive ones, they will know what helps them get some good shuteye.
                I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Working...
                X